Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
alexis

Loc: San Antonio, TX USA
Internet security on W7 DAW?
      #1070141 - 13/10/13 01:40 PM
Hi -

I anticipate buying a W7 desktop tower in the next few months for general home use, including internet access. Nowadays I know that many people feel comfortable w/ their DAW on the same computer they access the internet with. I'm wondering if, like XP, a security program (like Norton, etc.) is still recommended? I've heard that the built-in W7 internet security is robust enough that it might make such programs redundant, so I just wanted to get the impressions of the learned SOS user base.

I know theoretically badness shouldn't happen if one sticks to reputable sites, but as I've had Norton alert me of intercepted nastiness on sites just two clicks away from nyt.com, I really don't feel comfortable depending on such a strategy as my main protection.

Thank you!

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Folderol

Loc: Rochester, UK
Re: Internet security on W7 DAW? new [Re: alexis]
      #1070151 - 13/10/13 03:47 PM
AV can be quite greedy on CPU and disk usage, and at random times you don't expect, so why do you want to put your dau on the net?

--------------------
It wasn't me!
(Well, actually, it probably was)

alexis

Re: Internet security on W7 DAW? new [Re: Folderol]
      #1070158 - 13/10/13 05:07 PM
Quote Folderol:

AV can be quite greedy on CPU and disk usage, and at random times you don't expect, so why do you want to put your dau on the net?

Hi Folderol -

Thanks for answering! If I can buy 1 computer instead of two (a general + DAW computer) it would be great.

I thought maybe I could just turn off the AV and disconnect from the internet when doing the DAW thing, so as not to have it suck up resources or interrupt audio recording?

I've also been reading about:

1) Installing a "VM" and running ... I don't know anything about that, I will need to read.
2) Running Microsoft Essentials, "effective", and small footprint.
3) Making sure to not "Run as Administrator".

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

mick.n

Loc: It's grim up north.
      #1070257 - 14/10/13 12:15 PM
Quote alexis:

I thought maybe I could just turn off the AV and disconnect from the internet when doing the DAW thing, so as not to have it suck up resources or interrupt audio recording?

Thats what i do since i built my Sandybridge I7 desktop. I use Kaspersky internet security (Av & Firewall combined) and its easy to disable for DAW use.
I run a bat file that turns off internet & Kaspersky with one click.

The_BPP

Loc: Lincolnshire
      #1070260 - 14/10/13 12:22 PM
I can confirm Microsoft Security Essentials, is both a small footprint, efficient, unlikely to cause any CPU "spikes", and more importantly, free.

I left mine on the default settings, and forget it's there.

--------------------
Touch & Go

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: Internet security on W7 DAW? new [Re: The_BPP]
      #1070300 - 14/10/13 03:10 PM
Quote The_Big_Piano_Player:

I can confirm Microsoft Security Essentials, is both a small footprint, efficient, unlikely to cause any CPU "spikes", and more importantly, free.

I left mine on the default settings, and forget it's there.

I agree - MSE is all I'm running nowadays, and I haven't had any internet nasty problems as yet (touch wood! )

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

alexis

#1070320 - 14/10/13 05:19 PM
Thank you gentlemen.

Any thoughts on running my non-DAW activity as a "Virtual Machine" in W7? Except for the added memory requirements, that seems like the perfect internet security procedure, to this uninformed internet searcher!

Thanks -

--------------------

alexis

#1070617 - 16/10/13 10:13 PM
Hello, Good Morning , does no-one use the virtual machine function of their DAW PC for purposes such as the above?

--------------------

bugiolacchi

Loc: London
      #1070634 - 17/10/13 12:30 AM
I might be mad, but on my i5 laptop, running W7 and Cubase 6.5, I leave the internet on all the time, sometimes with Chrome in the background. Yes, I don't record bands or multitrack, but still run songs with 30+ tracks, good plug-ins, and Essentials always on.
After nearly two years, I never experience a drop-out, virus, or glitch... AND I am using ASIO4ALL!
I must be a very lucky boy!

--------------------
www.bugiolacchi.com
Songwriter/guitarist

Exalted Wombat

Re: Internet security on W7 DAW? new [Re: bugiolacchi]
      #1070637 - 17/10/13 12:44 AM
Quote bugiolacchi:

I might be mad, but on my i5 laptop, running W7 and Cubase 6.5, I leave the internet on all the time, sometimes with Chrome in the background. Yes, I don't record bands or multitrack, but still run songs with 30+ tracks, good plug-ins, and Essentials always on.
After nearly two years, I never experience a drop-out, virus, or glitch... AND I am using ASIO4ALL!
I must be a very lucky boy!

Me too. I might remember to pull the network plug before a heavy tracking session, but I usually forget :-)

Thank goodness Microsoft have included Security Essentials with Windows 8 as default. It's ridiculous that they didn't years ago. Though it beats me how some people seem prone to catching every malware going.

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1070648 - 17/10/13 06:27 AM
My studio PC is/are always online. I use MSE and it stays switched on. I've never had a problem with this arrangement.

But...

Don't forget that ultimate problem-avoiding strategy: image copy your system drive!

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #1070659 - 17/10/13 08:38 AM
MSE did not catch the "Amazon" search virus/trojan I got a few weeks ago but that was on XP Home.

I too run a W7/64 HP laptop and have junked all the Norton crap that came with it and just run MSE.Been fine for 2 years and a W7/64 desktop has been fine for longer. The latter machine was used for ages by my son for music and video work (V small scale) and was probably running Spotify at same time as well!

Good idea tho' to run MSE on the full scan once a month*. You'll be surprised at what it finds.

*But sugar off out or do it overnight!

Dave.

Exalted Wombat

Re: Internet security on W7 DAW? new [Re: ef37a]
      #1070920 - 19/10/13 09:14 AM
Do note that though MSE is 'built in' to Windows 8, I think you still have to go and ask for it in Windows 7.
Maybe you'll be starting off with Windows 8 anyway? There seem few reasons to go 'retro' now.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2012

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media