Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
JackG

Recording 'in the box', does the Audio interface matter?
      #1070415 - 15/10/13 12:06 PM
HI ,

It occurred to me recently that I am still using a very old M-audio Delta 44 as my audio interface.

considering I now have all these expensive sample libraries and do all my composing and mixing within the PC, would this Audio interface be a weak link in the chain?

Or would it only matter if I was recording Audio into the PC from external sources?

I don't think it sounds bad and I haven't experienced any issues with it, but wouldn't want to be holding myself back because I never updated it.

Thanks.
Jack

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Billum

Loc: London
Re: Recording 'in the box', does the Audio interface matter? new [Re: JackG]
      #1070418 - 15/10/13 12:14 PM
The quality of your audio interface will make no actual difference to the sound of your compositions if they are entirely composed within the computer, but it is possible that if the interface isn't giving you a particularly good rendering of the results through its output to your monitors, then you're not entirely accurately hearing what you're composing. So you might not be making the absolute best decisions about the sounds/mix/etc. compared to a better D-to-A converter and output stage.

That said, this is unlikely to be a massive problem in your case with the Delta 44, which, although not the latest or greatest, isn't, in my view, a bad interface at all!

Bill

Exalted Wombat

#1070419 - 15/10/13 12:16 PM
The sound card shouldn't make any difference to an internal mixdown of virtual instruments. It's worth setting up a good pair of speakers so you can HEAR what your mix will sound like, of course. Your Delta, with its ASIO drivers, should be quite capable of glitch-free playback while mixing.

JackG

#1070422 - 15/10/13 12:47 PM
Thanks for the replies,

I am pretty happy with the sound I get, I run the outs to a small mackie mixer and from there to my headphones/monitors.

Exalted Wombat

#1070423 - 15/10/13 12:52 PM
Quote JackG:

Thanks for the replies,

I am pretty happy with the sound I get, I run the outs to a small mackie mixer and from there to my headphones/monitors.

Good. Carry on then! This is one part of your music-making equipment that seems unlikely to benefit from having money thrown at it :-)

robinv

#1070430 - 15/10/13 01:14 PM
Quote JackG:

Thanks for the replies,

I've been running a Delta 44 with the Omni i/o for well over ten years and i've never found anything to compete with it in terms of features, latency and stability....... however, i recently moved to Steinberg UR28M (i got really fed up with the little knobs on the Omni) and i must say the "sound" is so much deeper and fuller. So there is something to be said for having some more recent good quality converters. I still miss a bit of the Delta 44 functionality though

--------------------
Molten Music Technology - Computers for doing music on

alexis

Loc: San Antonio, TX USA
Re: Recording 'in the box', does the Audio interface matter? new [Re: robinv]
      #1070475 - 15/10/13 07:33 PM
Quote robinv:

Quote JackG:

Thanks for the replies,

I've been running a Delta 44 with the Omni i/o for well over ten years and i've never found anything to compete with it in terms of features, latency and stability....... however, i recently moved to Steinberg UR28M (i got really fed up with the little knobs on the Omni) and i must say the "sound" is so much deeper and fuller. So there is something to be said for having some more recent good quality converters. I still miss a bit of the Delta 44 functionality though

Hi Robinv - I'm *still* using my Delta 66 in the Omni i/o (pre-USB vintage)!

Re: the differences in sound you heard between that and the UR28M ... can you describe them further, by any chance? I guess more to the point, I'm wondering if you think you are mixing things differently as a result of the differences you are hearing?

Thanks!

(Oh ... and not that it really matters too much, but do you have a gut feeling whether the differences you hear are more a result of one or the other of the different preamps vs. A/D - D/A converters?

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

robinv

Re: Recording 'in the box', does the Audio interface matter? new [Re: alexis]
      #1070480 - 15/10/13 08:14 PM
Quote alexis:

Re: the differences in sound you heard between that and the UR28M ... can you describe them further, by any chance? I guess more to the point, I'm wondering if you think you are mixing things differently as a result of the differences you are hearing?

Thanks!

(Oh ... and not that it really matters too much, but do you have a gut feeling whether the differences you hear are more a result of one or the other of the different preamps vs. A/D - D/A converters?

It's such a difficult thing to qualify. I've not done much recording with it, although it's far easier to get the right amount input level than with the Omni - but that may just be ease of knob access. As for playback, for me, it sounds somehow fuller - like the Delta was contained in a narrow band of sound somehow, not that it ever felt like that before. My speakers are the same so ..... dunno... i havent really A/B 'ed them or anything but speaking from my gut (and a sudden desire for Opera cake) it just sounds better. Has it helped my mixing? There are few things that can help that i think - the thing that's helped my mixing the most is comparison monitoring on ear buds.

So that's helpful

--------------------
Molten Music Technology - Computers for doing music on

KeithAC1

Loc: Milton Keynes
Re: Recording 'in the box', does the Audio interface matter? new [Re: robinv]
      #1070501 - 16/10/13 06:41 AM
Quote robinv:

Quote alexis:

Thanks!

It's such a difficult thing to qualify. I've not done much recording with it, although it's far easier to get the right amount input level than with the Omni - but that may just be ease of knob access. As for playback, for me, it sounds somehow fuller - like the Delta was contained in a narrow band of sound somehow, not that it ever felt like that before. My speakers are the same so ..... dunno... i havent really A/B 'ed them or anything but speaking from my gut (and a sudden desire for Opera cake) it just sounds better. Has it helped my mixing? There are few things that can help that i think - the thing that's helped my mixing the most is comparison monitoring on ear buds.

So that's helpful

Mmm Opera cake....

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #1070505 - 16/10/13 08:27 AM
I used to have a Delta 66 and moved from that to an Audiofire 8 and on from that to a Fireface 800. The Delta always lacked bass on recording I felt and having listened back to old recordings, there is some interference on the recordings brought by the Delta. The clarity of reverbs are the most easily noticeable thing when you improve your DA conversion. When I A/B the Audiofire with the Fireface, it is immediately obvious that the FF captures reverb more accurately and clearer.

In answer to the question, does it matter? Yes, if you want to hear a more accurate picture of what is going on ITB, then a newer, better interface will probably reveal more. It might be worth looking at just a DA interface or maybe a monitor controller that goes straight from the digital output of the Delta.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2296

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media