Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
feline1

Loc: Brighton, UK
So, Windows 8.1 is out on Friday! :)
      #1070449 - 15/10/13 03:14 PM
Doubtless some will complain it's no Windows 3.1, but I'll be whacking it on nonetheless.

Anyone else?

--------------------
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
desmond

Re: So, Windows 8.1 is out on Friday! :) new [Re: feline1]
      #1070455 - 15/10/13 04:13 PM
I'm doing it for my Dad, who thinks his recent laptop with Windows 8 is appallingly bad, confusing and horrible to use.

Hopefully it will result in a better computing experience for him... the 8.1 update is free for Win8 users, right?

robinv

Re: So, Windows 8.1 is out on Friday! :) new [Re: desmond]
      #1070458 - 15/10/13 04:39 PM
Quote desmond:

I'm doing it for my Dad,

That sounded like a Hovis ad there for a minute.

Yes, i'm looking forward to it - want to get my hands on the actual install media so i can run up a couple of test machines as my work machine is too much of a mess to notice any differences. I hope there's more stuff that's really annoying for people.

--------------------
Molten Music Technology - Computers for doing music on

Howdy Doody Time

Loc: Huai Yai, Chon Buri, Siam
      #1070512 - 16/10/13 09:14 AM

I'm interested. My Sony Tablet / fold out keyboard hybrid whatever it is came with Windows 8 pre installed, 3 months ago, will I qualify for a freebee update?

--------------------
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

oggyb

Loc: Leeds, UK
      #1070580 - 16/10/13 05:52 PM
I'm stoked to try it on my desktop. I've had no issues whatsoever in using W8, but the usability improvements will still be welcome. And a service pack is always nice to have.

Interesting how, back in XP days (some people are still in them) I'd be waiting a few months after a service pack to see what broke and what work-arounds/updates were needed. Now I feel like there will be no problem day 1.

Is that naive?

--------------------
Composer;
www.ogonline.org

Exalted Wombat

#1070591 - 16/10/13 06:49 PM
It seems to be mostly about making it easier to avoid the Metro side and its toy apps. I imagine most of us who use Windows 8 have become pretty adept at that already?

Metro stopped annoying me once I realized it was just the Sidebar run riot. And an OS isn't REALLY all about the desktop interface. That isn't where we spend most of our time, or do our real work, after all!

dubbmann

Loc: 3rd stone from the sun.
      #1070605 - 16/10/13 08:53 PM
i'm not a win8 user but my 87 year old mom is and it's been a fricking support nightmare for me. when i go home next i'm installing 8.1 and getting the damn start button front and center. microsoft did itself such damage with this that it's incredible that ballmer still has a job. oh, wait....

cheers

d

--------------------
http://www.thinkbluecounttwo.com/
http://www.phichibe.com

Exalted Wombat

Re: So, Windows 8.1 is out on Friday! :) new [Re: dubbmann]
      #1070627 - 16/10/13 11:24 PM
Quote dubbmann:

i'm not a win8 user but my 87 year old mom is and it's been a fricking support nightmare for me. when i go home next i'm installing 8.1 and getting the damn start button front and center. microsoft did itself such damage with this that it's incredible that ballmer still has a job. oh, wait....

cheers

d

How many applications does your Mum use? I'd have thought you'd have got them lined up nicely on her Desktop by now, or shown her where they are in the toybox. Does she want to change again?

Shambolic Charm

#1070651 - 17/10/13 07:51 AM
I rather like the absence of a start button. Once you get used to it Windows 8 is more intuitive.

--------------------
www.myspace.com/shambolic-charm

feline1

#1070663 - 17/10/13 08:59 AM
There was no damn start button in Windows 3.1, I'm frankly aghast that it will be back in Windows 8.1.

The Start Screen is *almost* as good as the Windows 3.1 Program Manager. Almost

--------------------
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
      #1070694 - 17/10/13 11:31 AM
Just takes you back to the metro "Start menu" screen through doesn't it? Not actually the start menu fix that people have been asking for.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

feline1

Re: So, Windows 8.1 is out on Friday! :) new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #1070703 - 17/10/13 12:07 PM
Quote Pete Kaine:

Just takes you back to the metro "Start menu" screen through doesn't it? Not actually the start menu fix that people have been asking for.

But the start screen is WAY better at showing you what programs you have (just like Windows 3.1 Program Manager was) than that stupid-ass Windows 95 "Start Menu", which takes an age to unfold, hides and collapses half the stuff you're interested in, and means you have to position the mouse with the accuracy with a gnat's eyelash.

--------------------

feline1

#1070718 - 17/10/13 01:41 PM
excuse my dayjob enroaching on reality,
but I noticed Windows 8 and 8.1 have successively more unicode and font support than ever before
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb688099.aspx

This is the sort of real tangible technical improvements that you never read about in dumbass articles moaning about what colour the Start button is.

--------------------

robinv

#1070721 - 17/10/13 01:57 PM
Just ordered a real live copy from Scan so i'll be able to do some real testing on the real thing - none of this "preview" nonsense. What fun.

--------------------

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1070723 - 17/10/13 02:02 PM
Good riddance Metro. Good riddance Start button.

Oh, heck... What??!? Nooooooooooooo!!!!

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

feline1

#1070735 - 17/10/13 04:08 PM
here's a Microsoft video on various 2D graphics improvements on Win8.1
http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2013/3-191

--------------------

robinv

#1070765 - 17/10/13 08:36 PM
Woohoo - there's a new sound recorder! Awww it's been the same classic one since Windows 3.1 and now it's gone all new and smart phone like - is nothing sacred?

Just having a look around.
They've removed the words "boot to desktop" and instead make it "go to desktop after sign-in or when all apps are closed rather than start".
Store - that's so much better, i hated the original Windows Store, it was ugly once you got past the "top apps" screen but this is more like it.
The Start-over-desktop-background thing is good, feels much nicer although they've lost the daisy desktop background which is a shame because i really liked it.
Apps view and access is much better - although you still can't collapse categories.

So yeah, all good really.

--------------------

Shambolic Charm

#1070772 - 17/10/13 09:51 PM
Bugger! I've been impetuous and updated to 8.1 without backing up and it's knocked out the drivers on my Cakewalk VS100. even if Roland (or Gibson?!!) do update them they take forever to do it generally. I tried a few tweaks to the info file in the driver folder, which I did with the changeover from Win 7 to 8 but it doesn't work. I am feeling annoyed with myself now.

--------------------
www.myspace.com/shambolic-charm

tex

#1070774 - 17/10/13 11:08 PM
Roland Octa-Capture is a no go so far. I can't seem to find ANY of the changes trumpeted. Might have to do a system restore. But am betting that's not possible.
Option of start screen: Duh?
Resizing: Duh? Well it does but clunks.
Start button: Don't really miss that but: Duh?
Lock screen options: Duh?

But especially sound: OH Duh? Roland were pretty quick on the Win 8 / 1.51 driver though.

If you need your tools DON'T!

--------------------
Success is round the corner. It's also round the bend.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#1070821 - 18/10/13 10:33 AM
Quote feline1:

But the start screen is WAY better at showing you what programs you have (just like Windows 3.1 Program Manager was) than that stupid-ass Windows 95 "Start Menu", which takes an age to unfold, hides and collapses half the stuff you're interested in, and means you have to position the mouse with the accuracy with a gnat's eyelash.

But I hated Win3.1 in comparison to 95!

In fact I think you've just nailed down in essence the problems between those who are pro/against the new metro front end.

You find the old start menu fiddly with a mouse, I find it really fast using the keyboard.

In fact I reckon I can launch anything from an old style windows menu using the start button plus arrow keys in the same time it takes Metro to do that fancy open and ripple (the loading of all the icons) motion it has and that doesn't include me then having to scroll the screen across in metro because inevitably the program I want isn't on the first screen as it opens.

So maybe the people who like Metro just don't use the keyboard to navigate windows as much as those who dislike it?

Quote Shambolic Charm:

Bugger! I've been impetuous and updated to 8.1 without backing up and it's knocked out the drivers on my Cakewalk VS100. even if Roland (or Gibson?!!) do update them they take forever to do it generally.

Roland will be keeping the hardware from what I understand and I imagine removing the Cakewalk branding in light of the sale.

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

robinv

#1070828 - 18/10/13 11:06 AM
Quote Pete Kaine:

In fact I reckon I can launch anything from an old style windows menu using the start button plus arrow keys in the same time it takes Metro to do that fancy open and ripple (the loading of all the icons) motion it has and that doesn't include me then having to scroll the screen across in metro because inevitably the program I want isn't on the first screen as it opens.

So maybe the people who like Metro just don't use the keyboard to navigate windows as much as those who dislike it?

But that's the weird thing - people seem to be blinded by the Start screen. You can press the start key and use the arrow keys to select which program to run in exactly the same way as you've described. Ah but there's all the micky mouse stuff in the way - no, not if you remove them or move them - the same as you un-pin the useless shortcuts from the old start menu. The Start page is awesome if you spend 5 minutes tidying it up and making it work for you rather than being alarmed by it. This all occurred to me this morning while playing with the Start Menu and how much nicer it was with the desktop background remaining. I'd mostly ignored the Start Menu except for games my kids can play - but i'm running out of room on my taskbar and so actually, rearranging the Start Menu completely puts everything where i need it with easy access using the keyboard - just as you describe.

Got to move to a new paradigm man

--------------------

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Re: So, Windows 8.1 is out on Friday! :) new [Re: robinv]
      #1070833 - 18/10/13 11:47 AM
Quote robinv:

Got to move to a new paradigm man

Or Linux

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

feline1

#1070835 - 18/10/13 12:24 PM
Quote Pete Kaine:

Quote feline1:

But I hated Win3.1 in comparison to 95!

In fact I think you've just nailed down in essence the problems between those who are pro/against the new metro front end.

You find the old start menu fiddly with a mouse, I find it really fast using the keyboard.

Metro is designed to me navigated with FINGERS on a touch screen, not a mouse or a keyboard.

As for using the keyboard to navigate the Win95 start menu - that was no help when the damn thing still took about 95 seconds to unfold the next bit of the menu, and then opened 12 bits at once all in a splurge so you'd end up selecting and launching the wrong thing. And then "Doctor Watson" would pop up and ask you if you wanted to eat your own puke ("well, at least it's *fresh* puke!" etc etc)

--------------------

feline1

#1070836 - 18/10/13 12:25 PM
Anyways I'm really rather excited about the 2D graphics improvements in Win8.1 that are in that video. Font colouring for instance!

--------------------

johnny h

#1070837 - 18/10/13 12:30 PM
Quote feline1:

Anyways I'm really rather excited about the 2D graphics improvements in Win8.1 that are in that video. Font colouring for instance!

Sounds like a riot

oggyb

Loc: Leeds, UK
      #1070838 - 18/10/13 12:48 PM
Quote Pete Kaine:

I bet you can't.

The Start screen operates immediately, thankfully. So you can type [Win] ONE [Enter] and be in OneNote in less than 1.5 seconds.

Now they just need to apply that same responsiveness to the login screen so I don't have to type my password twice every morning.

--------------------
Composer;
www.ogonline.org

tex

#1070851 - 18/10/13 02:38 PM
An update for Roland owners. The Octa-Capture drivers are out for Win 8.1.

--------------------
Success is round the corner. It's also round the bend.

feline1

#1070864 - 18/10/13 03:50 PM
It doesn't appear as something u can download from Windows Update, so I guess I gotta go hunting for it... .

--------------------

feline1

Re: So, Windows 8.1 is out on Friday! :) new [Re: johnny h]
      #1070865 - 18/10/13 03:50 PM
Quote johnny h:

Quote feline1:

Sounds like a riot

typrography is important, Johnny, you philistine

--------------------

feline1

#1070922 - 19/10/13 09:19 AM
I upgraded my Surface Pro tablet to Windows 8.1 last night.

It's a 3.6GB download (or something like that) so it took ages, but it appeared to work seamlessly.

Curiously, it comes via the Windows Store, not the Windows Update service.

Here's Microsoft's "Update Assistant" compatability checker that will scan your PC for any known hardware or software that's not supported. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/upgrade-assistant-download-on line-faq

I only got two issues when I ran it on my desktop:

1. it helpfully reminded me to DE-AUTHORISE THE PC on iTUNES before doing the upgrade! (I guess the new OS makes iTunes see it as a "different PC")

2. It said MIDI-OX (7.0.2, 32 bit) wasn't compatible with Win 8.1 64 bit. (Aw!) I have emailed MIDI-OX to give them this terrible news

--------------------

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1070923 - 19/10/13 09:30 AM
Quote Pete Kaine:

Not in my case.

I keep the stuff I need on my desktop - two clicks, job done. I've never used the keyboard to launch programs and, although sometimes it's a necessity, I avoid using the Start button - it's far too fiddly.

If I need something often it goes on my desktop. If I need something all the time it goes in my Quickstart bar.

What I don't need is my PC to look like a damned XBox!!

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

robinv

#1070928 - 19/10/13 10:15 AM
Quote feline1:

I only got two issues when I ran it on my desktop:

1. it helpfully reminded me to DE-AUTHORISE THE PC on iTUNES before doing the upgrade! (I guess the new OS makes iTunes see it as a "different PC")

2. It said MIDI-OX (7.0.2, 32 bit) wasn't compatible with Win 8.1 64 bit. (Aw!) I have emailed MIDI-OX to give them this terrible news

I didnt know there was a checker - i just found that a bunch of programs had disappeared. It didnt like LoopBe MIDI loopback or Alcohol 120 because of the virtual drives. And some other things needed reauthorisation as apparently the digital signature had changed. It also creates a "windows.old" folder which i'm assuming i can delete once i'm happy with everything.

--------------------

feline1

#1070931 - 19/10/13 10:52 AM
I believe that the standard Windows 8.1 "Disk Cleanup" tool will even delete that Windows.old for you, if you clcik the "Clean-up system files" option.

--------------------

feline1

#1071031 - 19/10/13 11:07 PM
(yep, it definately does.)

2 out of my 3 machines upgraded to Windows 8 now, no probs so far.....

--------------------

johnny h

#1071062 - 20/10/13 12:12 PM
Quote feline1:

Quote johnny h:

Quote feline1:

Sounds like a riot

Yeah maybe its a big deal on Windows. Macs have had great fonts since 1984 so its something I take for granted these days.

Exalted Wombat

#1071068 - 20/10/13 12:34 PM
Quote feline1:

Here's Microsoft's "Update Assistant" compatability checker that will scan your PC for any known hardware or software that's not supported. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/upgrade-assista...

The compatibility checker for Windows 7 didn't know what would work, it just knew what had paid to be Microsoft certified. Which left out a lot of the small-company products we use. Is the Windows 8.1 one any different?

feline1

Re: So, Windows 8.1 is out on Friday! :) new [Re: johnny h]
      #1071074 - 20/10/13 01:03 PM
Quote johnny h:

Quote feline1:

Quote johnny h:

Quote feline1:

Sounds like a riot

Yeah maybe its a big deal on Windows. Macs have had great fonts since 1984 so its something I take for granted these days.

You clearly know absolutely bugger all about font technology. Apple's TrueType font system has been supported on Windows since Win3.1... TrueType's successor, OpenType, was launched by Adobe/Microsoft in 1996... Windows 8.1 supports one of the latest enhancements to OpenType, font coloring, with for the first time allows fonts to contain multicoloured glyphs... this means things like emoticons can be done as fonts, rather than bitmaps, which is hugely more efficient, and looks better too.

--------------------

feline1

Re: So, Windows 8.1 is out on Friday! :) new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1071075 - 20/10/13 01:04 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Quote feline1:

Here's Microsoft's "Update Assistant" compatability checker that will scan your PC for any known hardware or software that's not supported. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/upgrade-assista...

The compatibility checker for Windows 7 didn't know what would work, it just knew what had paid to be Microsoft certified. Which left out a lot of the small-company products we use. Is the Windows 8.1 one any different?

I dunno! But I have tons of tiny little applications by companies that I very much doubt have paid for microsoft certification, and it didn't tell me they were incompatible, so that would suggest it is more intelligent than in the past.

--------------------

johnny h

#1071138 - 21/10/13 12:04 AM
Quote feline1:

... this means things like emoticons can be done as fonts, rather than bitmaps, which is hugely more efficient, and looks better too.

Amazing! Well done Windows 8. Good quality emoticons.

There's one for you, I hope it renders gloriously well. Perhaps it will even turn around all the negative publicity and falling PC sales which have blighted the industry in the last year....

IvanSC

Loc: UK France & USA depending on t...
Re: So, Windows 8.1 is out on Friday! :)SO BE CAREFUL!!!!!! new [Re: feline1]
      #1071588 - 23/10/13 07:50 PM
In a fit of excessive optimism (and after a certain amount of wine) I blasted into the 8 to 8.1 upgrade and like a pillock used a very frivolous username and equally daft password when setting up my microsoft account, which I assumed I could just dump as usual once the install was done and which I forgot to write down..

I did manage to rescue my install, but am now stuck with being user "ivan ideayourekiddingme"
until I figure out how to either rename myself or get rid of THIS user and enter a new sensible one.

*sigh*

--------------------
Me? But I`m such a loveable old bugger!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 9011

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media