Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Scouser

Advice on new pc build
      #1072370 - 29/10/13 05:22 PM
Im looking to upgrade in the coming months, due to a dying laptop, which is not economical to repair. The spec on laptop was intel core 2 Duo 1.8ghz 2Gb mem, lots of Hdd space ( Upgraded dual 500Gb drives ). I have a usb Edirol interface or a delta 66 omnistudio which I can use for interface. I will be using cubase 5.

I'm hoping the upgrade I have in mind will be able to cope with what I want to do, which is record audio tracks, rarely more than 15, apart from that it is mainly software based, ie superior drummer, kontakt and its libraries, samples, many plugins and vsti, and cpu hungry reverbs. The above system, was struggling to do this.

I am thinking of self building a desktop tower and was thinking along the lines of:

i7 or i5 ? Thoughts on which would be helpful, I would like i7 but would a i5 suffice as cost is also an issue. My thinking was that compared to what i'm using the i5 msy well do the job.

Again would like 16Gb mem but 8Gb may well suffice. One can always upgrade. Decent PSU, not sure which, was thinking of silent type build, but it doubles the price, so I will keep it in a different room, just need long monitor cables..

SSD ? My understanding is that it helps for application responsiveness but it's unlikely to get me more simultaneous plugins so is a luxury ?

So to recap:

i7 or i5
8 or 16Gb mem
2Tb HDD
SSD
PSU
Dvd/rw
Wireless keyboard and mouse with good range

If anyone can give specifics ie Which PSU, Mobo, SSD etc and what this kind of build might cost..

--------------------

www.myspace.com/joekmurphy

Edited by Scouser (29/10/13 05:28 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Scouser

Re: Advice on new pc build new [Re: Scouser]
      #1073413 - 06/11/13 02:47 PM
My first post was a little vague, guess that's why I got no answers..

So I have decided on some components for my system build ( Which I've never done before !) and would like to know if there are any parts I sould be wary of ( incompatibilities etc ) would you consider this a reasonable spec, future proof, if there is such a thing ?

Intel Core i7-4770
2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LP C10 1600Mhz
Gigabyte GA-H87M-HD3
180GB Intel 335 Series SSD
Seasonic G-360 360W PSU
Fractal Design Core 1000
Coolermaster Hyper TX3 CPU Cooler

Any thoughts ?

--------------------

Offramper

#1073423 - 06/11/13 04:21 PM
Sounds interesting! I've only built a couple of PCs for music and from what I can tell, it is a reasonable choice of components around the H87 chipset. I have a bit of a concern about the mobo as, although it has a PCI slot compatible with your I/O card it only seems to have 2 DIMM slots so you will be limited to 16GB of RAM unless 16GB DIMMs become available and then you will have to trade the old ones (should you need more RAM). I also wonder if the i7 4770 is a bit overkill for the mobo and maybe you could save a bit by going for something a bit more consistent? Will you be using your existing hard drives for example? If they are both 2.5" they will be limited to 5,400rpm and will they be able to take advantage of the SATA 3 transfer speeds? It looks to me like access to the library is quite important in your setup and a 1TB 6GB/s drive could be purchased by spending a bit less on the CPU. I can't quantify my argument but maybe it will prompt others to weigh in!

Dave

Scouser

#1073443 - 06/11/13 06:59 PM
Thanks Dave,

I can use all the feedback I get on this..

Didn't realise that 16Gb DIMMS are not available as yet, good point..

Re Hdd I will put a couple of existing 2.5 in the machine total about 2Tb and get the biggest ssd I can afford. As ssd come down in price I can replace the 2.5's and at the same time gain performance

--------------------

Offramper

#1073599 - 07/11/13 06:46 PM
I should have checked about the DIMMs - Crucial advertise a 16GB one at about £148 - CT16G3ERSLD41339 - need to check if there is one on the Qualified Vendor List for the board. Still it may be worth looking into - you have 8 effective processors ~ quad core and multi threaded, so does a single DIMM provide sufficient bandwidth to accommodate all those threads? I don't know, just hoping somebody else does! It is an interestingly different option and it would be good to know if there is an issue beforehand. I haven't seen any other machines built with this kind of configuration to the best of my recollection.

Dave

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
Re: Advice on new pc build new [Re: Offramper]
      #1073689 - 08/11/13 11:45 AM
It's a dual channel board, so you better off using 2 dimm's. I'd also change the cooler to something quiet, the hyper series are for gamers and whilst they cool well for the price they ain't half noisy. Try some of the Noctura range.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

Scouser

Re: Advice on new pc build new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #1073838 - 09/11/13 10:30 AM
Quote Pete Kaine:

It's a dual channel board, so you better off using 2 dimm's. I'd also change the cooler to something quiet, the hyper series are for gamers and whilst they cool well for the price they ain't half noisy. Try some of the Noctura range.

Which of the Noctura range would you try ?

--------------------

The Boogiemen

Loc: West Sand Lake, NY
      #1073885 - 09/11/13 03:16 PM
Although I upgraded to 16GB last year when prices were lower, I don't actually need it. 8GB is/was more than enough to run superior drummer and other various VSTs in real time without any memory shortage issues. The SSD upgrade is the best money you could put into the computer. I have my OS and current project on the primary SSD, and data store/backup on a standard 2TB 7200rpm sata drive. Even running the OS off the same SSD as the project, it's still tons faster than using the second Sata platter drive.

An i7 may be overkill for your needs, but it does future proof you and affords you more real time playback capabilities (which tend to be procesor hungry).

--------------------
Boogeymen Productions

Scouser

#1073898 - 09/11/13 05:23 PM
Quote:

An i7 may be overkill for your needs, but it does future proof you and affords you more real time playback capabilities (which tend to be procesor hungry).

Thanks for confirming that..

Also will prob go with the 8gb mem

--------------------

Edited by Scouser (09/11/13 05:27 PM)

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#1074063 - 11/11/13 03:12 PM
Quote Scouser:

Which of the Noctura range would you try ?

Something with a 12" fan at least, so the NH-U12P is where I'd start looking or even the 14" model above it if budget stretches. I know both options are a sizeable wedge more than the hyper mind so in between the two options perhaps look at the Thermalright True Sprit 140.

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

Trevor Johnson

#1074098 - 11/11/13 08:31 PM
Quote:

or even the 14" model

You could even build your own hovercraft with 14" fans.
I used a Noctua NH-D14-2011 on my last big build and always find Noctua products excellent.

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #1074263 - 12/11/13 08:53 PM
Indeed - I think Pete must have been having a senior moment there, and obviously meant 120mm rather than 12" (there's a bit of a difference, as the actress said to the bishop )

Although who knows - he does get to see hardware before it's officially released you know!

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

DC-Choppah

Loc: MD, USA
      #1074294 - 13/11/13 01:54 AM
I've built 2 PCs for doing audio now, so I am not an expert, but have some practical experience for sure.

I've noticed that depending on one's style of working, one places very different demands on the system.

The hardware you listed is very competent and should work very well. I think the issue is which part of your system you will stress given the way you work. So the same amount of money can be spent in different ways.

My humble experience tells me that you need to tip the balance towards:

Lots of audio tracks in the mix or recording = more/faster disk drives
Lots of virtual instruments = faster CPU
Lots of processing plugins = more memory

It's probably not that simple, but you will likely end up with a system that has far too much of something and not enough of another depending how you work if you don't do your homework.

I recently switched from using lots of virtual instruments in a session to bouncing everything to audio tracks and when I did that I went from memory limited to hard disk limited.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Re: Advice on new pc build new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #1074330 - 13/11/13 11:19 AM
Quote Martin Walker:

Indeed - I think Pete must have been having a senior moment there, and obviously meant 120mm rather than 12" (there's a bit of a difference, as the actress said to the bishop )

*ahem* I'm going to blame the fact I've been rushing around for this show all week (Manchester music show, this weekend @ Manchester Central (GMEX), SOS also in partial attendence I believe, details over in the news section </plug> ) and not paying full attention to anything else I've been doing.

Martin of course is correct and I can't help but feel one of those would leave the aforementioned actress a little more disappointed than the other!

Quote Martin Walker:

Although who knows - he does get to see hardware before it's officially released you know!

I reckon I could fudge one into a Silverstone FTO 2 or 3 given a crow bar and some hammers.

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

Scouser

#1074422 - 13/11/13 11:21 PM
Just wondered what part of the spec I would have to change to build something that could be in the same room as where I plan to track ?
I'm presuming possibly case, PSU & CPU if anyone could advise on replacement models, would be good.

--------------------

The Boogiemen

#1074433 - 14/11/13 12:40 AM
I use an aftermarket 120mm CPU fan and my system never gets loud enough to affect tracking with a mic. Make sure you have a 92+mm exhaust fan (or two) so the temps inside the case never get too warm, and this allows the CPU fan to run at a slower and more quiet speed.

--------------------
Boogeymen Productions

DC-Choppah

Loc: MD, USA
      #1074594 - 14/11/13 11:58 PM
I use a custom built PC that goes in an enclosure with a glass door. The use of aftermarket quiet CPU and case fans plus the enclosure allows me to record in the same room as the PC.

Edited by DC-Choppah (15/11/13 12:18 AM)

Scouser

#1074827 - 17/11/13 12:34 PM
Anyone using the Fractal R4 and managing to track in the same room ? It looks like a good case with soundproofing..

--------------------

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#1074956 - 18/11/13 10:23 AM
Quote Scouser:

Anyone using the Fractal R4 and managing to track in the same room ? It looks like a good case with soundproofing..

If anything is going to work for you it would be that. The built in fans are decent too, so you shouldn't have to change them unless you have enough headroom to undervolt them further.

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

shindigger

#1074974 - 18/11/13 12:05 PM
I'm using the R4 and i'd recommend it.
Lots of space for a newb to get round.
This is my first self build and i don't think i could have picked a better case for my needs.
Nice minimal looking case. But spot on for a DAW.
2 onboard fans are fine. Im running an i7k not overclocked.
Stock cooler, i did use a fan control programme, but that, possibly, was the cause of the odd hiccup.
Think i have them wired to the onboard control switch now.

Its sat about 2 yards from where my mic would be.
No issues.

Imran500

#1074975 - 18/11/13 12:06 PM
Having recently taken ownership of a new music PC I'd recommend the following:

i7 (it's a beast but that said I have no experience of the i5!)
SSD for your system drive (super fast bootups, instant sample loading) - I went for 256gb but go for double that if you can afford it. Definitely not a luxury it's a must have I'd say.
16GB RAM, just cover yourself - for example I'm now using Superior Drummer with all the bleeds on and that in itself canes almost 2.5gb of RAM,

Scouser

#1075003 - 18/11/13 01:59 PM
Thanks for replies chaps, looks like the R4 is the way to go. My one remaining niggle is the mobo, however pete reassures me that as long as im not overclocking it should be fine.. Would be interested to hear from anyone using the Gigabyte GA-H87M-HD3

--------------------

Scouser

#1075026 - 18/11/13 03:11 PM
Updated proposed build

Intel Core i7-4770
Gigabyte GA-H87M-HD3
500Gb Samsung Evo SSD
BeQuiet Pro 10 550W PSU
Fractal Design R4
Noctua NH-D14 or Thermalright Archon

--------------------

Imran500

#1075071 - 18/11/13 06:56 PM
By the way you not going for a second hard drive? That can be a standard HDD, Seagate Barracuda or Western Digital Caviar

Scouser

#1075080 - 18/11/13 07:28 PM
Not sure yet, it seems it would introduce noise. I could just use a couple of usb HDD to transfer projects etc, until I can afford a 2nd ssd..

--------------------

The Boogiemen

#1075105 - 18/11/13 08:58 PM
Quote Scouser:

Not sure yet, it seems it would introduce noise. I could just use a couple of usb HDD to transfer projects etc, until I can afford a 2nd ssd..

The second drive would only make noise when it was in use, and most newer models don't make a lot of noise anyway even at full read/write speeds.

But the plan to use a USB external drive is fine, just make sure you have two copies of important stuff at all times (backups). External drives are susceptible to failure just as much as the ones you buy for internal use. They're the exact same thing, they just connect to the computer using a different means. That's why I keep recently finished but non-active projects on my internal Sata drive, and have Acronis perform weekly backups to an external. It's not super expensive and really, the nominal price is well worth not losing the data.

--------------------
Boogeymen Productions

Scouser

#1075597 - 21/11/13 05:08 PM
I was also thinking, does it make any difference either going for a 500Gb ssd or 2 x 250Gb ie if one partitioned the 500, or are we getting into the realms of splitting very small hairs ? Just thought if I had OS and progs on one and samples on the other, might be more efficient, but on the other hand I know very little about ssd

--------------------

The Boogiemen

#1075780 - 22/11/13 03:54 PM
Quote Scouser:

I was also thinking, does it make any difference either going for a 500Gb ssd or 2 x 250Gb ie if one partitioned the 500, or are we getting into the realms of splitting very small hairs ? Just thought if I had OS and progs on one and samples on the other, might be more efficient, but on the other hand I know very little about ssd

Partitioning is all about separation of data and not about performance. You're always limited to the read/write of the drive's hardware abilities/spec regardles of how the drive appears visually in Windows. To see any performance increase in your scenerio you would need two separate physical drives. The SSD is fast so partioning won't HURT performance, and it might make management of the data easier for you.

--------------------
Boogeymen Productions

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Re: Advice on new pc build new [Re: The Boogiemen]
      #1075932 - 23/11/13 05:04 PM
Quote The Boogiemen:

The SSD is fast so partioning won't HURT performance, and it might make management of the data easier for you.

You shouldn't notice any degradation of performance if you partition a Solid State Drive - it has no moving parts, so accessing files from one partition or another should take exactly the same time.

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

il Padrino

#1076287 - 25/11/13 09:47 PM
Quote Scouser:

I'm using a Fractal Design R4 Mini, which is the smaller version. I have just one exhaust fan, a 120mm model with a speed switch on the lowest setting. Yes, tracking in the same room with ease. Quiet build though as I'm using SSDs throughout and a Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro Advanced C1 CPU cooler. Couldn't stretch to the Noctua range at the time, but there was no need to either as this beast is silent, virtually. (System based on the i4670k CPU. Before that, I used a OCZ Vendetta 2. I wish I could have continued using it but it doesn't fit the new board. Best cooler I've ever used.

Scouser

#1076378 - 26/11/13 03:15 PM
Encouraging, re the fractal cases then...

My only other concern at this point, is whether or not, my current soundcards (M-audio delta66 or Edirol UA 25EX ) will be up for the job, after the new build ? Or am I unwittingly creating a weak link ?

--------------------

Exalted Wombat

#1076390 - 26/11/13 04:26 PM
If you use two SSD drives rather than one larger one, and dedicate one to sample sets that will not be constantly re-written, you MAY only have to throw the other one away after a few years.

But by that time something larger, faster and cheaper will have arrived...

Scouser

Re: Advice on new pc build new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1078893 - 11/12/13 05:45 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

If you use two SSD drives rather than one larger one, and dedicate one to sample sets that will not be constantly re-written, you MAY only have to throw the other one away after a few years.

Thats a good point, I will do just that So presumably avoiding writing will prolong life of ssd, yeh that makes sense..

Thanks to everyone..

--------------------

The Boogiemen

#1079028 - 12/12/13 12:22 PM
Quote Scouser:

Quote Exalted Wombat:

Thats a good point, I will do just that So presumably avoiding writing will prolong life of ssd, yeh that makes sense..

Thanks to everyone..

It's a new technology, and only now are a measurable number drives drives purchased a few years ago starting to encounter issues with memory life due to read/write activity over a length of time. In general, they last a few years without much concern in most situations. One thing they say is to disable defragmentation in windows (Vista, 7, and 8 do this automatically as a scheduled task) in order to avoid needless read/write activity. Since the SSD is a direct memory allocating storage device, the data doesn't need to be properly sorted like a traditional platter based drive. Or at least the sorting doesn't seem to offer much other than tick a few days of life from the drive.

I have full images of every computer I have so if a drive fails, just a matter of buying a replacement, then applying the backed up image. I suggest anyone who has a bunch of software and settings (that takes a lot of time to rebuild from scratch) should do the same. This means I'm on the 'run it into the ground' camp on SSD drives. I don't treat them with kid gloves, I buy they for performance and expect that they will eventually fail. Old platter drives have a high fail rate too, but for different reasons. It's 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

--------------------
Boogeymen Productions

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Re: Advice on new pc build new [Re: The Boogiemen]
      #1079076 - 12/12/13 03:35 PM
Indeed and to add to the above, TRIM support cropped up on SSD's a few years back now and one of the features is to track the drive usage and ensure that you always write to the least used portion (this is why you shouldn't defrag, you break that process).

Given that even on a machine experiencing heavy use all day long the average drive is rated with enough writes to get at least a couple of years constant use out of it and if used more as a read only drive (i.e. OS) the chances are it'll probably last longer than your average mechanical these days as far as write wear and tear goes.

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

#1079142 - 12/12/13 08:47 PM
Quote Pete Kaine:

Given that even on a machine experiencing heavy use all day long the average drive is rated with enough writes to get at least a couple of years constant use out of it and if used more as a read only drive (i.e. OS) the chances are it'll probably last longer than your average mechanical these days as far as write wear and tear goes.

I totally agree with this, but you may also be interested in some long term endurance tests currently being carried out by the Tech Report web site, where they are testing six different makes/models of SSD to failure:

http://techreport.com/review/24841/introducing-the-ssd-endur...

The drives were checked after 22TB of writes, which works out to 20GB per day for three years, and no faults were discovered at all. However, a few blocks were beginning to display faults and been automatically removed from the pool after 200TB had been written to the drives:

http://techreport.com/review/25559/the-ssd-endurance-experim...

200TB is the equivalent of writing 20GB per day to each drive for 30 years, but all six are still running beautifully

Fascinating stuff (if you like that sort of thing )

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

The Boogiemen

#1079275 - 13/12/13 06:36 PM
Quote Pete Kaine:

Indeed and to add to the above, TRIM support cropped up on SSD's a few years back now and one of the features is to track the drive usage and ensure that you always write to the least used portion (this is why you shouldn't defrag, you break that process).

Exactly, I thought of TRIM after I had posted, then forgot to come back to add it to my explanation. Good catch.

--------------------
Boogeymen Productions

Scouser

#1079679 - 16/12/13 11:28 PM
Update!

Well all the bits turned up today, made a couple of changes from the original spec and ended up with this lot:

Intel Core i7-4770
Asus Z87-K
2x250Gb Samsung Evo SSD
2Tb Hdd
BeQuiet Pro 10 550W PSU
Fractal Design R4
Noctua NH-D14
Radeon HD5450
Win 8.1

After a couple of hours of putting it all together, the moment of truth came, pressing the power button! Amazingly it worked fans all turning, power, everything detected, all basic drivers updated, os installed etc. Of course its still very early days.

However, it is much louder than I had hoped. I'm puzzled as to what the problem might be, and could really use some help with this.

I have 2 fans in the fractal r4, front and rear, which I opted to connect to the case controller rather than the motherboard ? I thought that might give me more flexibility with the 3 different settings ? Maybe that is mistake No1.

The noctua seems quiet, although I have nothing to compare it to, that being said,I didn't install the "ultra low noise adapters" as im not sure if you can with the "y" adapter. There is a caution to "not use one adapter for both fans by putting it before y cable" which is slightly confusing me. The noise seems loudest at the back of the case, which is no surprise, I suppose, but im sure it's louder than it should be..

--------------------

Edward Charles

#1079684 - 17/12/13 12:24 AM
Have you got the fans facing the right direction for wind flow it should push through the front across the motherboard and out the top and back.. what speed are that fans going at? is it a rattling noise or a rumble? the lowest speed setting on the fan controller should be pretty slow and quite inaudible.. rubber under the fans at the points where the fans touch the case can help a fair bit..

Scouser

Re: Advice on new pc build new [Re: Edward Charles]
      #1079769 - 17/12/13 04:14 PM
Quote Edward Charles:

Have you got the fans facing the right direction for wind flow it should push through the front across the motherboard and out the top and back.. what speed are that fans going at? is it a rattling noise or a rumble? the lowest speed setting on the fan controller should be pretty slow and quite inaudible.. rubber under the fans at the points where the fans touch the case can help a fair bit..

Yep everything pointing in right direction.

If the software is anything to go by, case fans running at 600 noctua 1200.

Fan controller just controls case fans, disconnected and plugged them them into mobo, while I investigate what is going on with the noctua. Also removed end fan from noctua just leaving middle one, still loud.

Just been googling to try and get some idea as to whats going on, it seems the standard NH-D14 has 3-pin fans without PWM support is this relevant ?

One thing I haven't tried is to connect cpu fan directly to psu ?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 13429

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media