Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Will_m

Loc: Manchester
Final few questions before I build a new system
      #1076584 - 27/11/13 09:25 PM
Hi everyone, I'm planning a computer upgrade for this weekend and I have a final few questions. Basically going to be using some new components with my old PSU, drives, and a few other bits.

I'm planning on getting an SSD cache to pair to my audio drive (WD caviar black)with the aim of speeding up project/sampled instrument load times, probably going to go with this one:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/60gb-corsair-force-series-ls-25-ssd-sata-ii i-6gb-s-phison-controller-toggle-nand-read-560mb-s-write-

Is it possible to add this cache to my audio drive without reformatting everything? I understand you need to change the BIOS to RAID instead AHCI or IDE mode. Obviously I'll have to format my current SSD that houses my OS but I'd rather not have to format the audio drive. That said if I buy any more sample libraries over black friday I might need a new HDD anyway.

--------------------
http://www.williammorrismusic.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Exalted Wombat

Re: Final few questions before I build a new system new [Re: Will_m]
      #1076586 - 27/11/13 09:54 PM
Are you sure this will make any useful difference? Unless you always use the SAME 60GB of samples, how will it know what to cache?

Will_m

Re: Final few questions before I build a new system new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1076597 - 28/11/13 03:44 AM
Hi Wombat, I got this great advice from Pete Kaine a few months back:

Quote Pete Kaine:

The cache tech works by tracking the data in use and loading the most accessed data when requested. So if your working on the same project for weeks at a time, it'll speed up over that period and it should have a positive impact on loading projects.

If your chopping and changing all the time it'll cause the algorithm to start dropping the older stuff from it's records althrough if the cache is large enough to deal with all your current projects at once and you'll still feel the benefit, so that depends on the available cache size and how many large projects you tend to work on concurrently. If your working with video & audio mind that would probably make it slightly less useful again for obvious reasons (large amounts of data messing up the tracking count)."

It's handy for speeding up programs, but the one thing I imagine we all want is to be able to speed up the load times when your selecting patches in E/W or Kontackt. Due to the way the cache works it'll have zero impact as your trying to skip through looking for audio, the only real answer with that would be to stick it all on SSD's.

At the time I thought I understood it fine but now that last bit troubles me. I was thinking that if there were certain patches I used often they would start to get cached and load quickly. For example almost all of my projects have an 8dio or IS piano patch loaded in, so I was hoping that as they get loaded for every project the time it takes them to do so would decrease.

I generally work on around 3-4 projects at a time some with very similar patches but most projects I work entirely with MIDI/samples then bounce everything when it comes to mixing, anywhere between 20 and 200 tracks. The mix projects which are just wav files actually load pretty quickly.

Is what I'm trying to do achievable with a cache drive or would I be better off getting say a 250GB SSD and putting my most used libraries/projects on it? I'd only really have room for around a 1/4 of my samples but I tend to use certain things a lot.

--------------------

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#1076658 - 28/11/13 04:21 PM
Quote Will_m:

Is what I'm trying to do achievable with a cache drive or would I be better off getting say a 250GB SSD and putting my most used libraries/projects on it? I'd only really have room for around a 1/4 of my samples but I tend to use certain things a lot.

Yeah, that's probably a better solution. The Cache method is only really useful if your loading projects with the sound banks in the cache. As soon as you start skipping through your banks and it hits one that isn't cache, the performance will plummet again. It's a handy work around that helps in some senarios, I'm not so sure it'll give you much joy in this one however.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

Will_m

#1076807 - 29/11/13 03:09 PM
Cheers Pete, I think I'll likely go for the separate SSD, I can probably just about fit my most used bits on it. This build is getting pricier by the day though.

--------------------

The Boogiemen

Loc: West Sand Lake, NY
      #1076861 - 29/11/13 11:21 PM
I just use a SSD for all my project work and make regular backups to my standard data/storage sata hard drive. You can throw pretty much anything at a SSD and not experience any lag.

--------------------
Boogeymen Productions

Exalted Wombat

#1076872 - 30/11/13 02:16 AM
Quote Will_m:

Cheers Pete, I think I'll likely go for the separate SSD, I can probably just about fit my most used bits on it. This build is getting pricier by the day though.

Leave the SSD for now then. Wait until they get cheap enough that one the size you really need is affordable.

Will_m

#1076909 - 30/11/13 02:12 PM
I decided to go for the Samsung Evo 840 256GB, got one for £120 which I thought was pretty good and this size will be big enough for my most used libraries like LASS, symphobia etc.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1378

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media