Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
russ

buying windows 7 64bit software ?
      #1112118 - 17/07/14 08:05 PM
hello... i think im in need to upgrade to 64bit, to enable me to add extra ram as im having problems with some vsti loading...i`ve checked that my computer can accept 64bit and all is ok there... i`ve seen some windows 7 pro / ultimate 64bit on ebay and the prices vary, from well over £100 to some being as low as £40/£60.. not being too up on these things im wary of buying some dodgy or unusable item... im not sure if its the right thing to add link here to some items i`ve seen, so wont for the moment, there`s a lot that seem to be sold in quantity as `unused from decommissioned Dell computers`... if anyone could advise then i`d be grateful... thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
mick.n

Loc: It's grim up north.
Re: buying windows 7 64bit software ? new [Re: russ]
      #1112123 - 17/07/14 08:52 PM
Quote russ:

hi`ve seen some windows 7 pro / ultimate 64bit on ebay and the prices vary, from well over £100 to some being as low as £40/£60.. not being too up on these things im wary of buying some dodgy or unusable item...

I bought Windows 7 Pro OEM 32 bit for my laptop from ebay (think it was over 4 years ago)..... cost was around £30-£40.

Last year i bought Windows 7 Pro OEM 64 bit for my desktop pc.Cost was £27......no problems with activation or updates etc.

Still all fine as of now.

OneWorld

Re: buying windows 7 64bit software ? new [Re: mick.n]
      #1112181 - 18/07/14 11:03 AM
Same here, bought Win7/64 for £30 off eBay, and it was fully legit, although it was OEM. And anyway, with eBay, you have Buyer Protection, any problems just fire the software back.

The_BPP

Loc: Lincolnshire
      #1112195 - 18/07/14 11:56 AM
Yep, I did the same on a new build PC for a friend. eBay, £40...

When it came, it said DELL all over the packaging, but it was still a standard install of W7 which activated and worked, no problems.

--------------------
Touch & Go

Temp

Loc: Rochester, UK
      #1112225 - 18/07/14 03:18 PM
Quote:

i`ve checked that my computer can accept 64bit and all is ok there

I suspect you already know this, but it's the CPU (processor) that ultimately defines 64-bit capability (i.e. there's no point running 64-bit software on 32-bit hardware, if it runs at all).

Here's a link to Microsoft's FAQ on the subject:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/32-bit-and-64-bit-windows#1TC=w indows-7

Cheers.

russ

Re: buying windows 7 64bit software ? new [Re: Temp]
      #1112239 - 18/07/14 07:07 PM
yeah i researched that and checked that it was capable of being able to run 64bit, and all is ok...

thanks for replies, have dived in and purchased, so hopefully all good.

SecretSam

Loc: Officially, I do not exist.
      #1112857 - 24/07/14 07:53 AM
Strictly speaking, the OEM licence is only valid for the original machine it is sold with, but in practice I have found that MS are sometimes willing to support OEM versions on secondary machines.

One thing to be aware of on Win7 64 bit machines: if you use Firewire devices, there are known issues with some of the chipsets/drivers. Apparently the TI chipsets are said to be good. Many of the others (including the native Intel motherboard firewire chipset) have what they call 'known issues.' Which is a technical way of saying they don't f*&^%$£ work properly.

--------------------
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Exalted Wombat

#1112862 - 24/07/14 08:30 AM
What are the specs of your computer? "Capable of running 64 bit" and "worth throwing further money at" can be two different things.

russ

#1113642 - 30/07/14 06:44 PM
thanks for the extra input.... all ended up well, windows 7 pro 64bit up and running... 8gb ram now fitted... no issues, all is good.... except the nightmare of reloading and authorizing of other software, mostly got there, cant find installation disc of battery 3.. pain in backside !

damoore

Loc: New Hampshire
      #1113646 - 30/07/14 08:07 PM
Incidentally, if you have lots of 32 bit VSTs you want to continue to use with the 64 bit version of your DAW/vst player/whatever, check out jBridge. That works well for me - I mainly use it to run B4 II, which is 32 bit only. I expect others will chime in with alternatives.

mick.n

Loc: It's grim up north.
      #1113649 - 30/07/14 08:32 PM
Quote russ:

except the nightmare of reloading and authorizing of other software, mostly got there, cant find installation disc of battery 3.. pain in backside !

Always a pain in the backside......the last reinstall i did was when i first bought the Win 7 pro. Was on the best part of a week getting everything installed & authorised!

+ 1 for the Jbridge, used it for a couple of years now & never a problem. Worth every penny.

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: buying windows 7 64bit software ? new [Re: mick.n]
      #1114121 - 04/08/14 06:55 PM
Quote mick.n:

+ 1 for the Jbridge, used it for a couple of years now & never a problem. Worth every penny.

Another +1 from me for jbridge - I still wouldn't be able to use a clutch of my favourite plug-ins without it

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
      #1114136 - 04/08/14 08:43 PM
It's great...though I'm bemused that this cheap plugin does an essential task that some of the leading DAWs apparently don't (or, does it better).

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Re: buying windows 7 64bit software ? new [Re: BJG145]
      #1114346 - 06/08/14 02:23 PM
Quote BJG145:

It's great...though I'm bemused that this cheap plugin does an essential task that some of the leading DAWs apparently don't (or, does it better).

As far as I can tell, this is because 'some' of the big-name DAW developers regard bridge software as a short term stop-gap measure until all the 32-bit plug-in developers (from multinational corporations to 1-man bedroom operations) get their arses in gear and write 64-bit versions of their entire product range (even for retired products that nevertheless remain essential to many musicians).

This ain't going to happen

But the DAW folk won't spend any more time refining their existing bridging software, because they don't consider it their 'responsibility', despite the HUGE number of musicians still running both 32-bit and 64-bit plug-ins in tandem

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

russ

#1114393 - 06/08/14 06:57 PM
im on cubase 7.5.20 and dont seem to have had much problems with vst/i working, the only one that wont is spectrasonics trilogy... i`ve been told that plugins with /// next to them are supposed to be 32bit, is that right ?... there`s a couple in the list with this, they open fine and work, so cubase vst bridge must be handling things ok for them, just not for trilogy, if i choose trilogy it just comes up as a small box, which seems you can get the default trilogy tone playing, but no other way of selecting sounds etc... i was kind of put off testing jbridge with the setup wanting to move things into its own folders, so i cancelled out, im just wary of it pulling things into folders as it was an issue making sure plugins where in the correct folder in the first place... i did read an sos article though and it seemed to ease some wariness, so might still have a try... any thoughts though ?

SecretSam

Loc: Officially, I do not exist.
      #1114439 - 07/08/14 07:00 AM
just curious - what important plugins (apart from Trilogy) don't have 64 bit versions ? All the ones I use most are available as 64 bit ...

--------------------
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

#1114448 - 07/08/14 09:12 AM
Well speaking personally, let's see what I still have in my vstplugins-32 folder:

iZotope Spectron and Vinyl (both now discontinued, with no likelihood of 64-bit versions)

Delaydots' Spectrumworx (the original version, for which I have created a load of my own presets)

PSP MasterQ (still used for its useful range of softsat algorithms that prevent nasty digital overload)

A clutch of Bootsy freeware plug-ins (particularly Ferric TDS)

JB Ferox (a useful tape simulator that's not cutting edge, but still great for lo-fi treatments)

TT Dynamic Range Meter (still used on pre-mastering)

Voxengo Pristine Space (still for me the most straightforward and useful convolution reverb host)

SHEPPi Free Spatial Enhancer (does something that none of my other spatial plug-ins quite matches)

Now, none of these may be remotely of use to you, but they are to me, which is why I still rely on jBridge

Anyone else care to chip in with 32-bit only plug-ins that they can't live without?

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Synth Builder

Loc: Cumbria, UK
Re: buying windows 7 64bit software ? new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #1114481 - 07/08/14 01:07 PM
Quote Martin Walker:

Anyone else care to chip in with 32-bit only plug-ins that they can't live without?

VAZ Modular

And I suppose I could add Reason 5 via 32-bit rewire. I know I could upgrade to 7 but that's way more CPU and RAM hungry than lowly old 5. And 5 does all I want.

Tony

Scramble

Re: buying windows 7 64bit software ? new [Re: Synth Builder]
      #1114489 - 07/08/14 02:16 PM
Kjaerhus Classic (still love those).
GSi 201 Echo, and VB3 organ
Voxengo: HarmoniEQ, Max and Punch
Wizooverb
The old M-Tron
and a lot of my IK stuff is still 32-bit.

alexis

Loc: San Antonio, TX USA
      #1114502 - 07/08/14 03:10 PM
Quote russ:

im on cubase 7.5.20 ... i`ve been told that plugins with /// next to them are supposed to be 32bit, is that right ?...

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the " /// " symbol meant VST3 ...?

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Re: buying windows 7 64bit software ? new [Re: alexis]
      #1114505 - 07/08/14 04:04 PM
Quote alexis:

Quote russ:

im on cubase 7.5.20 ... i`ve been told that plugins with /// next to them are supposed to be 32bit, is that right ?...

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the " /// " symbol meant VST3 ...?

Yes, the /// symbol does stand for VST3 format (as opposed to the still much more widely used VST 2.4 format)

It's often not obvious which is a 32-bit and which a 64-bit plug-in when they are in action, except if some bridging utilities are used that have a visual presence (logo and the like)

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

#1114506 - 07/08/14 04:07 PM
BTW, thanks to Synth Builder and Scramble for adding some '32-bit only' plug-in favourites to the combined list

Voxengo's HarmoniEQ and LF Max Punch do both seem to be available in 64-bit form now, as does GSi's VB3, so I won't put them on the list (it's so easy to get out of sync with updates isn't it )

Please keep them coming so we can get a better idea of what oldies are still popular!
Remember, I'm asking for popular 32-bit only plug-ins that SOS Forums users wouldn't like to be without, not a comprehensive list

Bootsy freeware plug-ins http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/
Delaydots' Spectrumworx (website not available)
GForce M-Tron http://www.gforcesoftware.com/legacy/m-tron
GSi GS-201 Tape Echo www.genuinesoundware.com
iZotope Spectron and Vinyl https://www.izotope.com/en/products/discontinued/
JB Ferox (website not available)
Kjaerhus Classic http://acoustica.com/plugins/vst-directx.htm
PSP MasterQ http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/equalizers/psp_masterq/
SHEPPi Free Spatial Enhancer http://dallashodgson.info/articles/OpenAmbienceProject/
Spectrasonics Trilogy http://www.spectrasonics.net/products/legacy/trilogy.php
TT Dynamic Range Meter http://www.pleasurizemusic.com/
VAZ Modular http://www.vaz-synths.com/vmIndex.html
Voxengo Pristine Space http://www.voxengo.com/product/pspace/
Wizooverb http://vst-club.com/vst-plug-ins/wizooverb-p-1844.html

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

alexis

#1114508 - 07/08/14 04:50 PM
Quote Martin Walker:

Well speaking personally, let's see what I still have in my vstplugins-32 folder:...

SHEPPi Free Spatial Enhancer (does something that none of my other spatial plug-ins quite matches)

Martin

Hi Martin - you didn't want to spend $990 on the real deal, K-Stereo Ambience processor??

I went and built a poor man's SHEPPi just for fun a while back, from something I found on line (I thought it might have been one of your articles! ... ). It was fun and educational to do, and the good thing is I can still use it in my 64-bit Cubase 7.5.20 without a wrapper!

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

#1114509 - 07/08/14 04:54 PM
Quote alexis:

Quote Martin Walker:

Well speaking personally, let's see what I still have in my vstplugins-32 folder:...

Martin

Hi Martin - you didn't want to spend $990 on the real deal, K-Stereo Ambience processor??

I went and built a poor man's SHEPPi just for fun a while back, from something I found on line (I thought it might have been one of your articles! ... ). It was fun and educational to do, and the good thing is I can still use it in my 64-bit Cubase 7.5.20 without a wrapper!

Yep, I suspect it was this PC Notes column from SOS May 2010

www.soundonsound.com/sos/may10/articles/pcnotes_0510.htm#para1

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

russ

#1114513 - 07/08/14 06:50 PM
Quote Martin Walker:

Quote alexis:

Quote russ:

Yes, the /// symbol does stand for VST3 format (as opposed to the still much more widely used VST 2.4 format)

It's often not obvious which is a 32-bit and which a 64-bit plug-in when they are in action, except if some bridging utilities are used that have a visual presence (logo and the like)

Martin

ok, thanks to both for correcting/informing me with that... vsti wise i mostly have NI stuff...some Arturia, maybe one or two others... most of my itb processing is done either with cubase plugs, or mostly UAD, i do have lexicon pcm reverb plugs as well... all of that seems to work fine since the upgrade, i think most is in 64bit form... i did have some older freebie plugs on the system, but did`nt use them that much and have been ok with clearing the clutter out.

Scramble

#1114536 - 08/08/14 08:48 AM
Quote Martin Walker:

Voxengo's HarmoniEQ and LF Max Punch do both seem to be available in 64-bit form now, as does GSi's VB3, so I won't put them on the list (it's so easy to get out of sync with updates isn't it )

I knew about the Voxengo updates, they've been around for a while, but you have to pay for them! And as I don't use those plugins that much I declined. (But yes, they shouldn't go on your list.)

Didn't know that VB3 was now 64-bit. I used that on a track a few months ago, it's a good organ.

JoeCosta

#1115558 - 19/08/14 09:46 AM
Man, you guys are lucky, I had to buy mine in Portuguese ..

Edited by Hugh Robjohns (20/08/14 09:04 AM)

PJ20

Loc: India
      #1115562 - 19/08/14 11:08 AM
I bought windows 7 32 bit from ebay as well .. payed 4k i think

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #1115638 - 20/08/14 08:42 AM
I paid full whack for a retail W7 Home with a 32 and 64 bit disc.
I thought I could use the 64 bit disc on my Asus new build (which I have) and the 32 bit on another, P4 machine but since there is only one Windows code I don't think I can, can I?

Dave.

Edited by ef37a (20/08/14 08:42 AM)

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
Re: buying windows 7 64bit software ? new [Re: ef37a]
      #1115666 - 20/08/14 01:00 PM
One licence code = 1 machine & install. They shipped those dual disks with the intention of letting you software a machine with 32bit then upgrade at no extra cost when you were ready. Retail allows you to carry the licence to other machines where OEM offically doesn't.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

ef37a

Re: buying windows 7 64bit software ? new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #1115680 - 20/08/14 04:33 PM
Quote Pete Kaine:

One licence code = 1 machine & install. They shipped those dual disks with the intention of letting you software a machine with 32bit then upgrade at no extra cost when you were ready. Retail allows you to carry the licence to other machines where OEM offically doesn't.

Thanks Pete, thought it was to good to be true!
Mind you, the old XP machine it would have gone onto is still going strong and is on the internet several times a week running Avast free.

Dave.

BluesFunkforbreakfas...

#1118756 - 15/09/14 09:37 PM
I bought win 7 64bit oem from dabs it was £65 I believe. one word of advice get all the updates straight away or it will play funny buggers with you. I downloaded like 155 updates bit of a nightmare but had to be done. Also 32 bit Cubase runs super smooth on 64bit windows cant speak for the j bridge thingy but theres always other options

ef37a

#1120547 - 30/09/14 06:29 PM
Quote ef37a:

Quote Pete Kaine:

Thanks Pete, thought it was to good to be true!
Mind you, the old XP machine it would have gone onto is still going strong and is on the internet several times a week running Avast free.

Dave.

Well Pete.
I installed the 32 bit disc on an old Dixons Foxconn MOBO'ed 3G P4 and after a day or so and MANY updates all seemed very stable. I even plugged in the second HDD which had the old XP Home OS on it but W7 just booted nicely and found drivers for it! Once I can get the crud off it I shall format that drive. The wee PC is for a grandson.

But here's the kicker! I was going to ask about the best way to buy a second activation but then thought "let's be brave!" So I tried activation and blow me it worked!

I would not have minded paying for W732 but I did pay top retail whack for the two discs so I do not feel that I have done Msoft any great financial harm?

Dave.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#1120812 - 02/10/14 11:08 AM
Aye, I you'll notice I didn't say it wouldn't work... just that it wasn't permitted under the licence terms.

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

alexis

#1120820 - 02/10/14 12:06 PM
Quote ef37a:

I would not have minded paying for W732 but I did pay top retail whack for the two discs so I do not feel that I have done Msoft any great financial harm?

Dave.

You could always ask them if you're not sure!

--------------------

ef37a

#1120860 - 02/10/14 03:48 PM
Quote alexis:

Quote ef37a:

Dave.

You could always ask them if you're not sure!

Heh! Well! I could hardly do any more harm than they do to themselves? Vista, Hated Eight, musician unfriendly!

Dave.

ef37a

#1120862 - 02/10/14 03:50 PM
Quote Pete Kaine:

Aye, I you'll notice I didn't say it wouldn't work... just that it wasn't permitted under the licence terms.

Oh! I thought that which was not permitted was compulsory!

Dave.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

#1120921 - 03/10/14 09:32 AM
Quote ef37a:

Well they could de-auth the first one during automatic check or they send a de-auth command to both of them if they run a script to check for dual licence usage. They tend to be more concerned with the latest and greatest when it comes to these things so Y.M.M.V in regards to them ever running a check on your win7 licence, but you should be aware that it might happen at some point and that it's within thier rights under the licence terms.

--------------------
ScanProAudio Blog

ef37a

#1120952 - 03/10/14 03:57 PM
Quote Pete Kaine:

Quote ef37a:

Well they could de-auth the first one during automatic check or they send a de-auth command to both of them if they run a script to check for dual licence usage. They tend to be more concerned with the latest and greatest when it comes to these things so Y.M.M.V in regards to them ever running a check on your win7 licence, but you should be aware that it might happen at some point and that it's within thier rights under the licence terms.

Ok Pete. Did not know they could/did do that. No matter, if they kill one or other or both I shall simply have to stump up the lolly. If they drag me away and detain me at Her Majjies pleasure at least it will save on the lekky and food bills!

Seriously tho' ( a bit) there are hundreds of dodgy looking discs about for Windows? Some, (most?) are probably "not quite the ticket" in some way and yet in ten years of infesting forums I have never read of anyone having their OS pulled (and as Mr L Phillps would say "Ooo! Nasty!")

Dave.

ef37a

#1120997 - 04/10/14 09:32 AM
Pete,
please forgive this old, med ridden brain!
There was of course the infamous Windows Genuine Advantage XP SNAFU! But IIRC babies and bathwater wasn't in it, more like mass infanticide!

Considering the stick they have had for Blista, eight, Metro et al, would they dare run another such purge?

Dave.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4213

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media