Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
ChromeDome

Loc: North West England
Akai EIE
      #969558 - 11/02/12 12:46 AM
I'm looking to buy a new music PC and I'll be somewhere near the bottom of the food chain in terms of specs/performance. I've pretty much decided on an Inta-Audio machine but I'm going to need an interface (currently using a small mixer into the EMU404 PCI card in my medieval PC).

The Akai EIE Pro looks like amazing value but, being new, there seems to be very little out there by way of reviews. Just wondering if anybody has any experience of it or thoughts.

I have read some accounts of problems on the Akai forum , most worrying being occasional bursts of white noise and a tendency for latency to increase over time. I'm not the most technical chap and the idea of trying to troubleshoot this sort of thing is beyond me.

I've also read that it doesn't have any drivers of it's own and it uses something called WDM drivers. Most people seem to think this is a bad thing.

On the plus side, it's fantastically well specced for the price (not much use if it doesn't actually work I suppose) and it looks so much like something from the BBC Radiophonic Workshop that it really should come with a lab coat and a pipe included.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Akai EIE new [Re: ChromeDome]
      #969570 - 11/02/12 09:21 AM
Quote ChromeDome:

I've also read that it doesn't have any drivers of it's own and it uses something called WDM drivers. Most people seem to think this is a bad thing.

If that's true then it's not a good thing. Without confusing you with detail it means you won't get very good latency performance. At the least I suggest you look for something that offers ASIO drivers.

What DAW are you using - or intending to use?

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

uphillbothways

#969597 - 11/02/12 12:10 PM
Do you need all that I/O? If you're happy to settle for two mic pres, there are lots of well-respected interfaces for similar money. The Komplete Audio 6 sounds absolutely superb and has excellent low-latency performance. You could have a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 for the same money, or a 2i2 for a lot less. Presonus have a couple of interfaces at around that price.

ChromeDome

Re: Akai EIE new [Re: The Elf]
      #969612 - 11/02/12 01:20 PM
Thank you both for your thoughts.

Quote The Elf:

Quote ChromeDome:

If that's true then it's not a good thing. Without confusing you with detail it means you won't get very good latency performance. At the least I suggest you look for something that offers ASIO drivers.

What DAW are you using - or intending to use?

I'm using, and will use, Reaper. Funnily enough it was on the Cockos Forum where I read the WDM thing but the Akai site says: "this four-in, four-out (4x4) device features low latency ASIO drivers" so I imagine there are ASIO drivers after all.

Quote uphillbothways:

Do you need all that I/O? If you're happy to settle for two mic pres, there are lots of well-respected interfaces for similar money. The Komplete Audio 6 sounds absolutely superb and has excellent low-latency performance. You could have a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 for the same money, or a 2i2 for a lot less. Presonus have a couple of interfaces at around that price.

Need? No, but it would be nice. I use a couple of external synths as well as my guitar and it's nice not to be unplugging everything all the time. However, it's still hassle and I'm hoping a better machine will enable me to eventually get a decent plugin synth/keyboard so I might not need all the inputs.
Will check your suggestions again. Despite it's impeding obsolescence (or so I keep reading) I might even consider firewire as the Inta Audio PC comes with it (TI) at no extra cost.

Cheers, Brendan

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #969802 - 12/02/12 10:14 PM
Good evening Brenden,
Like you, when I first saw the EIE I was very interested because for one thing I had a need for 4 in 4 out to swop tracks in and out of a Teac 4track open reel machine. My son cut his teeth on the Teac and loves VU meters!

Since its first blush at 2011 winter NAMM I had been badgering Akai for details, a more complete specification and a user manual and most of all a review in the likes of SoS. All my requests fell on deaf ears and all I ever got back was the same, limited press puff constantly reguritated.
Summer and Autumn came and went and the NI Komplete 6 came into view. A quick question or 3 here and a good report on latency from TAFKAT and I was sold!

Had mine since early January and it has been solid, stable and quiet. Highly recommended. Comes with a great software bundle to boot!

Dave.

Edited by ef37a (12/02/12 10:16 PM)

ChromeDome

Re: Akai EIE new [Re: ef37a]
      #969939 - 13/02/12 04:53 PM
Thanks for the thoughts Dave.

The NI Komplete 6 looks interesting. The problem is that it seems to be out of stock everywhere. Scan has them back ordered since November!

The bundled software is impressive but I'd only use the Komplete Elements, which I can get for £39 so I could get that and the Akai EIE pro for less than the NI.

Seems like a robust interface with great drivers though so possibly worth the extra, compared to the Akai, which seems to be an unknown quantity.

Cheers, Brendan

robinv

#969988 - 13/02/12 08:23 PM
Quote ChromeDome:

The NI Komplete 6 looks interesting. The problem is that it seems to be out of stock everywhere. Scan has them back ordered since November!

End of February was the last news i heard on NI stock

Quote:

Seems like a robust interface with great drivers though so possibly worth the extra, compared to the Akai, which seems to be an unknown quantity.

Cheers, Brendan

I really like the look of the two Akai interfaces and have been poking them for a review unit of either for a couple of months with no luck. Hopefully they are fixing something to make it really really really good

--------------------
Molten Music Technology - Computers for doing music on

ChromeDome

Re: Akai EIE new [Re: robinv]
      #970016 - 13/02/12 11:14 PM
Quote robinv:

Hopefully they are fixing something to make it really really really good

This sounds intriguing!
Can you give us an idea exactly what it is they are fixing?

uphillbothways

#970017 - 13/02/12 11:22 PM
Quote ChromeDome:

The bundled software is impressive but I'd only use the Komplete Elements, which I can get for £39 so I could get that and the Akai EIE pro for less than the NI.

Dunno where you're getting your prices from, but I see the KA6 at £189 vs the EIE pro at £199.

ChromeDome

Re: Akai EIE new [Re: uphillbothways]
      #970020 - 13/02/12 11:54 PM
Quote uphillbothways:

Quote ChromeDome:

Dunno where you're getting your prices from, but I see the KA6 at £189 vs the EIE pro at £199.

Yes the Komplete Audio 6 is around 189 - although it can be found a bit cheaper, eg: KA6 at Guitar Guitar
The caveat being that I can't find anywhere that has them in stock at the moment.

The £39 was referring to Komplete Elements, part of the software bundle that comes with the KA6 and the only one I'd use.

The EIE Pro is available and currently in stock at Scan for £139.99: EIE pro at Scan

ef37a

#970041 - 14/02/12 07:11 AM
I can find no review of the product so far and for something that has been kicking the gong around since winter NAMM not to have been offered to any of the UK recording magazines seems deeply suspicious?

I would (almost!) never buy such a product until SoS had run a ruler over it, the exception being the NI K6 but that came highly recommended from people I trust.

Doesn't always work of course!I bought a Behringer BCA2000 on the strength of an SoS review and had 12 months of unmitigated driver and reliability hell!

I cannot speak for a company the size of Akai but from my exp' if a product is requested from SoS only a very foolish company would ignore such a call!

Dave.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
      #970056 - 14/02/12 09:34 AM
Wha... th...

The Akai is in stock....

</thud>

Sorry. Fell off my chair.

I'd given up on that! Everytime I brought it up with Akai I got a gumbled "factory over capacity" response and that was that. I'm not sure that the is any foul play here as it was simply unavailable to anyone for a long, long time after announcement. The one's we appear to have in stock are our first batch and they certainly wern't there last month when I was last chasing down the reps over it, so I'm not suprised it's not gone out for review yet. It was supposed to be out the middle of last year but design tweaks and lack of production facilities in the run up to x-mas when they were finally ready, kept moving the dates back on it.

The KA6 was due last month but word from NI is that they are also tweaking some of the parts on the new production run, so it's incured another 6 weeks delay which as Robin says should put them at about the end of Feb or start of April.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

ef37a

Re: Akai EIE new [Re: Pete Kaine]
      #970060 - 14/02/12 09:47 AM
"The KA6 was due last month but word from NI is that they are also tweaking some of the parts on the new production run, so it's incured another 6 weeks delay which as Robin says should put them at about the end of Feb or start of April."

Oooer! Does that mean I should look out for some firmware updates Pete?

I wonder what they think needs improving?

Dave.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
      #970083 - 14/02/12 11:13 AM
Doubt it on the firmware upgrade.

I imagine it's the same as you get with any other computer component like motherboards. During the lifetime of a motherboard you tend to see it go through rev 1, rev 2, rev 3 without any change to he spec. The reason being is that the are hundreds of components on the circuit boards that are sourced in from electronic suppliers and these can go end of life at any point in the cycle.

Chances are they ran out of stock, decided to do a fresh run at the factory and one of the suppliers went "Sorry, capacitor EL178774 has been discontinued, but we have another one EL178775 designed to replace it and do the same job to the same spec". Of course the firm building the device now has to take the new component, build it into a prototype and stress test it and ensure it doesn't cause any other faults, which at best I imagine would take a week or two and that would be if they were lucky enough to get it right first time.

Hence why I said "tweak" rather than "improve". I've got a feeling someone somewhere just ran out of parts when they tried getting the factory to build a new batch.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

robinv

#970122 - 14/02/12 01:52 PM
Quote ChromeDome:

Quote robinv:

This sounds intriguing!

No no, only an assumption that if something is really really late then perhaps something is not working as it should - but who knows. I reckon Akai are all too busy messing about with iPads to do much else at the moment

--------------------

ef37a

#970133 - 14/02/12 03:08 PM
Quote robinv:

Quote ChromeDome:

Quote robinv:

This sounds intriguing!

No no, only an assumption that if something is really really late then perhaps something is not working as it should - but who knows. I reckon Akai are all too busy messing about with iPads to do much else at the moment

Got it! I bet they are going to fit ADAT at no extra cost!
Dave.

ChromeDome

#970728 - 17/02/12 10:44 PM
The EIE Pro is available and currently in stock at Scan for £139.99: EIE pro at Scan

Should apologise to uphillbothways for this as I was quoting the price of the EIE, not the EIE pro.

I've decided not to bother with the Akai EIE - it seems like nobody has used/reviewed them and I don't want to risk it.

Starting this thread has made me sit and think through what I really NEED, as opposed to what looks funkiest and I realise that, for my modest requirements, I would get away with something like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (as recommended by uphillbothways). It looks simple (like me) and, if I wanted to bung my old Novation Nova or JV1080 onto a track, it's only a case of unplugging/plugging in a few leads.

That said, as the PC comes with TI Firewire as standard, something like the Saffire Pro 14 would give a lot more I/O options for only £40 more. The downside is all the mucking about with software mixers/routing options. I'm not too technical and I never had the foggiest clue how to use the EMU Patchmix software on my 0404 card!

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and interest.

robinv

#970756 - 18/02/12 09:33 AM
Quote ChromeDome:

I'm not too technical and I never had the foggiest clue how to use the EMU Patchmix software on my 0404 card!

Don't feel bad - no one knows how to use the Patchmix. I had to write tutorials of many pages just to show people how to get sound in and out of Cubase through an 0404 - it was the most ridiculously unnecessary piece of software ever.

--------------------

ChromeDome

#970838 - 18/02/12 07:25 PM
Quote robinv:

Don't feel bad - no one knows how to use the Patchmix. I had to write tutorials of many pages just to show people how to get sound in and out of Cubase through an 0404 - it was the most ridiculously unnecessary piece of software ever.

I'm glad it's not just me.
My life has been blighted by thwarted attempts to record music, starting with my Tascam 4-track Portastudio in the late 1980s. I remember drowning my mate's fretless bass and Yamaha DX21 in whatever was the most cathedral-like setting on my Alesis Microverb and adding a load of flanged guitar and vocals to self-penned dirges like "Rainy Sunday" (I can still remember the words ). The end result was something like Japan meets The Sisters of Mercy on an off-day in an outsized barn just outside Wigan.
What's worse is that it's been downhill since then

alexis

Loc: San Antonio, TX USA
      #1068122 - 29/09/13 04:56 PM
"Highly Recommended: Akai EIE Pro - SOS Review May 2012

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

Scope

Re: Akai EIE new [Re: alexis]
      #1068128 - 29/09/13 06:13 PM
If it's "pro", then why is it only 16bit?
I don't know any pro engineers who use 16 bit, we went 24 bit well over a decade ago.

I am amazed at the amount of kit that calls itself 'pro',
- when it's clearly budget equipment and lack qualities a professional wants and will pay for.

I won't deny the EiE looks great, very reminiscent of a nice expensive valve compressor,
but its going to end up in bedroom, not a studio.

alexis

Re: Akai EIE new [Re: Scope]
      #1068143 - 29/09/13 08:16 PM
Quote Scope:

If it's "pro", then why is it only 16bit?
I don't know any pro engineers who use 16 bit, we went 24 bit well over a decade ago.

I am amazed at the amount of kit that calls itself 'pro',
- when it's clearly budget equipment and lack qualities a professional wants and will pay for.

I won't deny the EiE looks great, very reminiscent of a nice expensive valve compressor,
but its going to end up in bedroom, not a studio.

I read the review I linked to above as saying it's 24 bits ... do you have different info?

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

chris...

#1068154 - 29/09/13 10:16 PM
"Sample rates of up to 96kHz are available at 24-bit resolution."

hollowsun

Loc: Cowbridge, South Wales
      #1068165 - 30/09/13 01:41 AM
Quote robinv:

I reckon Akai are all too busy messing about with iPads to do much else at the moment

They'd be daft not to ... and they're not - they have done SOME iPad apps ... and who can blame them? It's a burgeoning market with many opportunities.

The EIEIO (nice 'Old McDonald' play on words with that - a sense of humour in a product name ... rare) is good. I tried/tested a prototype when I was working with Alesis/Akai and it was good. I know the people who designed it and internally, it has some good stuff going on. I'd buy one myself if it weren't for the fact I am adequately covered in that area with a Firewire audio/MIDI I/O ... but the 'look' of the EIEIO would fit in beautifully in my retro studio - would sit atop my analogue modular synth wonderfully.

The fact that it has insert points is worthy of note - means you can plug in analogue outboard (valve compressors, EQs, etc.) before it hits the digital domain - a nice touch borrowed from the Alesis audio IO|14 and IO|26s. The USB hub on the back is also a useful bonus.

As for the reports of "factory over capacity" mentioned by Pete, sh!t happens. All sorts of things. If you've ever been involved in manufacture, been to factories that make the stuff, spoken to (and negotiated with) those involved in production, procurement, etc., as I have, it can sometimes not go according to plan. As I say, sh!t happens!

You commission a batch and it sells out faster than imagined. You try to get another batch done but some parts are temporarily unavailable which delays things ... or maybe, given the nature of outsourcing manufacture these days, the factory might be tied up with other company's product ... whatever - all sorts of variables and it can be most frustrating sometimes. The production manager is doing all he can but the bean counters are on his arse and he's in the office at ungodly hours trying to sort it all out over different timezones with people who sometimes can barely speak English.

In those circumstances, you can't just assume there's some radical technical problem - it's usually logistics. Not always of course but typically it is.

I like the EIEIO but just don't need one. I could probably get one for free given my long standing association with Akai and Alesis ... or at least at trade price - but I don't need a new audio/MIDI I/O.

Mind you, it is very sexy looking with its retro styling and there are some nice little (and useful) touches in there.

--------------------
Website / Music Lab Machines / Blog

alexis

Re: Akai EIE new [Re: hollowsun]
      #1068167 - 30/09/13 03:24 AM
Quote hollowsun:

Quote robinv:

I reckon Akai are all too busy messing about with iPads to do much else at the moment

They'd be daft not to ... and they're not - they have done SOME iPad apps ... and who can blame them? It's a burgeoning market with many opportunities.

The EIEIO (nice 'Old McDonald' play on words with that - a sense of humour in a product name ... rare) is good. I tried/tested a prototype when I was working with Alesis/Akai and it was good. I know the people who designed it and internally, it has some good stuff going on. I'd buy one myself if it weren't for the fact I am adequately covered in that area with a Firewire audio/MIDI I/O ... but the 'look' of the EIEIO would fit in beautifully in my retro studio - would sit atop my analogue modular synth wonderfully.

The fact that it has insert points is worthy of note - means you can plug in analogue outboard (valve compressors, EQs, etc.) before it hits the digital domain - a nice touch borrowed from the Alesis audio IO|14 and IO|26s. The USB hub on the back is also a useful bonus.

As for the reports of "factory over capacity" mentioned by Pete, sh!t happens. All sorts of things. If you've ever been involved in manufacture, been to factories that make the stuff, spoken to (and negotiated with) those involved in production, procurement, etc., as I have, it can sometimes not go according to plan. As I say, sh!t happens!

You commission a batch and it sells out faster than imagined. You try to get another batch done but some parts are temporarily unavailable which delays things ... or maybe, given the nature of outsourcing manufacture these days, the factory might be tied up with other company's product ... whatever - all sorts of variables and it can be most frustrating sometimes. The production manager is doing all he can but the bean counters are on his arse and he's in the office at ungodly hours trying to sort it all out over different timezones with people who sometimes can barely speak English.

In those circumstances, you can't just assume there's some radical technical problem - it's usually logistics. Not always of course but typically it is.

I like the EIEIO but just don't need one. I could probably get one for free given my long standing association with Akai and Alesis ... or at least at trade price - but I don't need a new audio/MIDI I/O.

Mind you, it is very sexy looking with its retro styling and there are some nice little (and useful) touches in there.

Hi Hollowsun - you are the only person I know who has actually heard this unit I have been thinking hard about getting. Can I ask your opinion about the preamp quality please? Maybe compared to the Alva Nanoface, if you know that one? Or if not, to some nice reference that everyone seems to like, perhaps the NI KA6?

I came pretty close to pulling the trigger on the EIE Pro, but got to thinking - if product A (the EIE Pro) costs the same as product B (the Alva Nanoface), but the Nanoface has many fewer features ... maybe that means the features the Nanoface *does* have are higher quality ... like the preamps?

For what I need *today* , the Nanoface has all the connectivity I need. But it'd be nice to get something with room for growth ... *IF* it didn't mean significant compromises on the preamp quality.

If you had any thoughts after having at least heard the EIE Pro, I'd love to hear them if you had a moment -

Thanks!

--------------------

alexis

#1068169 - 30/09/13 04:47 AM
Here's a *wonderful* vid summary/review from Rain Computers I just came across! Rain Computer Youtube review of Akai EIE Pro Interface

I have to say, I was very surprised at how big the output latency was: 20+ msec at 256 (discussed at roughly 5:00 into the vid). Either my old M-Audio Omni I/O interface is better than I have given it credit for (at 256 samples buffer size the *total* (I+O) latency reported in Cubase is 11-12 msec), or I'm not understanding something.

The total EIE Pro latency of 30 msec I think is too much to sing and play to while monitoring through the computer, which I guess means either monitor the voice without comfort verb, or use a hardware verb in one of the insert points ... am I looking at that correctly?

I wonder if there are clicks and pops when running at 128 samples buffer size ... that would make the total latency around 16 msec, if I do my math right, which I think would be OK. Or, maybe it runs OK at 64 samples? I was reading a review of the Alva Nanoface, it said that running at 32 samples was just fine ...

One final question - at 3:10-3:30, the input is being intentionally distorted, and it was described as digital distortion - which causes the VU meter to flash red. What indicator is there for when the preamps are hit so hard that there is *analog* distortion, i.e., the preamp has too much juice going into it (before the A/D converter comes into play)?

Thanks -

--------------------

ef37a

#1068179 - 30/09/13 07:26 AM
I agree Alexis, The EIE IS a tasty looking bit of kit and has some nice features but there are just too many unanswered questions about the unit for my liking and, like the Berry BCA2K review, I regret to say the SoS review was just too "glossy".

One thing I would love to know! It is a usb 2.0 hub right? Does this mean you could daisy chain at least one other box from it (with a PSU ) giving 8 tracks?

If they have missed that trick then the R&D dept want roasting!

Dave.

robinv

#1068196 - 30/09/13 09:36 AM
Quote alexis:

Here's a *wonderful* vid summary/review from Rain Computers I just came across! Rain Computer Youtube review of Akai EIE Pro Interface

Thank you!
It's important to make one thing clear - there are two versions. The EIEIO is red and has no ASIO drivers and is 16bit 44.1kHz. The EIE Pro is silver and does have proper ASIO drivers and can do 24bit and 96kHz. Dont get the two mixed up.

Quote:

I have to say, I was very surprised at how big the output latency was: 20+ msec at 256 (discussed at roughly 5:00 into the vid). Either my old M-Audio Omni I/O interface is better than I have given it credit for (at 256 samples buffer size the *total* (I+O) latency reported in Cubase is 11-12 msec), or I'm not understanding something.

The latency was rubbish with the original driver - unusable for monitoring or VST instruments, but the newer driver i got out of Ploytec was much better. Akai were a bit upset when i offered the new driver to people because they hadnt approved it and as it turns out it had poor Windows Media Player performance which is something i didnt test for. It took them about a year to get the driver i used officially released and i had a constant stream of people wanting it because otherwise the unit was unusable - but Akai asked me to stop giving it out, which i did. You can now get it from the Akai website.

Quote:

One final question - at 3:10-3:30, the input is being intentionally distorted, and it was described as digital distortion - which causes the VU meter to flash red. What indicator is there for when the preamps are hit so hard that there is *analog* distortion, i.e., the preamp has too much juice going into it (before the A/D converter comes into play)?

I was monitoring through the computer so any overload resulted in digital distortion. But you raise an interesting question which is probably obvious but i've not seen nice analog distortion in any audio interface - maybe because you're overloading the converters. You'd have to build in a load of extra headroom to avoid doing that i think. But i dunno, i just reported what i found.

Cheers

--------------------

Hairy Ears

Loc: UK
      #1068235 - 30/09/13 12:55 PM
I bought the EIE Pro, mostly on the basis of The Rain review video, and partly (shallowly!) because of its looks.

I did find the Windows drivers were flaky (even the latest drivers) in Studio One but fine in REAPER. I have since switched to Mac and it is pretty solid there in StudioOne, Reaper, Tracktion and Mainstage.

I used it for a gig earlier this year, using Mainstage. With three vocal mics, those preamps came in useful, and the spare channel was used for guitar feeding Amplitube. All other sounds were driven either from backing tracks or via MIDI.

The VU meters are nice to look at, but I tend to use the monitoring in the software, as the level I like to record at bare tickles -10dB on the VU meters.

--------------------
* Soundcloud *
* Bandcamp *

ef37a

Re: Akai EIE new [Re: Hairy Ears]
      #1068236 - 30/09/13 01:08 PM
Quote Hairy Ears:

I bought the EIE Pro, mostly on the basis of The Rain review video, and partly (shallowly!) because of its looks.

I did find the Windows drivers were flaky (even the latest drivers) in Studio One but fine in REAPER. I have since switched to Mac and it is pretty solid there in StudioOne, Reaper, Tracktion and Mainstage.

I used it for a gig earlier this year, using Mainstage. With three vocal mics, those preamps came in useful, and the spare channel was used for guitar feeding Amplitube. All other sounds were driven either from backing tracks or via MIDI.

The VU meters are nice to look at, but I tend to use the monitoring in the software, as the level I like to record at bare tickles -10dB on the VU meters.

Ah! The VU meters! That was another thing I could get no information about.

It seems to me that unless they have switched sensitivity they will live up to their name, Virtually Useless?

I would want them to indicate 0vu for -20dBFS but switchable to 0vu for 0dBFS?

Dave.

Hairy Ears

Loc: UK
      #1068269 - 30/09/13 05:38 PM
Quote ef37a:

Ah! The VU meters! That was another thing I could get no information about.

It seems to me that unless they have switched sensitivity they will live up to their name, Virtually Useless?

I would want them to indicate 0vu for -20dBFS but switchable to 0vu for 0dBFS?

Dave.

Good for checking you actually have a signal reaching the unit, but not much else. I just pointed them towards the audience so the front row had something to look at when they tired of the sight of me

On outputs 1 and 2 they are actually wired in after the monitor level control _and_ the direct/computer balance control.

--------------------
* Soundcloud *
* Bandcamp *

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 13484

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media