Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
nutman

New PC Creates Noise on External Soundcard - HELP!
      #986849 - 11/05/12 09:21 AM
Hi,

I just bought a new PC and Focusrite Saffire 6 USB soundcard. When I plug in my Focusrite I get a constant hiss / noise. It's there before I even install the drivers. I also tried plugging in my old Firebox (firewire) and that creates the same problem (even though it worked fine on my old PC).

The noise isn't there when windows is booting up. Only once in Windows does the noise start.

I have all the latest drivers (soundcard / motherboard) and windows is up-to-date.

What could be causing this?!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
Re: New PC Creates Noise on External Soundcard - HELP! new [Re: nutman]
      #986851 - 11/05/12 09:26 AM
Possible ground loop?

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=222392& page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1#222392

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

Airfix

#986855 - 11/05/12 09:57 AM
Have you set your Windows audio preferences to use the Focusrite Saffire?

nutman

#986887 - 11/05/12 11:50 AM
Yes. I've also disabled the onboard sound as I read that might cause issues. But no difference. I've also tried plugging the computer / speakers into the same socket extension to try and resolve it, but if anything that made it worse.

It seems to be the USB that creates the problem. Even if I just touch the USB cable from the Saffire on any of the computer USB ports (not plugging in, just touching), then it creates the noise. But only when windows is booted. On bootup there's no noise at all.

I'm running out of ideas!

Exalted Wombat

#986891 - 11/05/12 12:01 PM
Quote nutman:

Yes. I've also disabled the onboard sound as I read that might cause issues. But no difference. I've also tried plugging the computer / speakers into the same socket extension to try and resolve it, but if anything that made it worse.

It seems to be the USB that creates the problem. Even if I just touch the USB cable from the Saffire on any of the computer USB ports (not plugging in, just touching), then it creates the noise. But only when windows is booted. On bootup there's no noise at all.

I'm running out of ideas!

What computer? If a laptop, does the problem go away if you disconnect the power supply and run on batteries?

Do you still get the noise through headphones connected directly to the Saffire, with no powered speakers connected?

nutman

Re: New PC Creates Noise on External Soundcard - HELP! new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #986893 - 11/05/12 12:26 PM
Its a desktop PC.

If I turn off my speakers and use headphones then the signal is clear through the headphones.

So why do the speakers pick it up? Doesn't that suggest that the cables are picking up interference? But that doesn't explain why I didn't get any using my previous PC. same cables. 1/4 inch jack out the interface to XRL into my sub. Then XLRs from sub to left/right speakers.

I've also tried changing the leads from the Saffire to my sub, using the RCA outs instead of the 1/4 inch. Same issue

Edited by nutman (11/05/12 01:05 PM)

Exalted Wombat

#986897 - 11/05/12 01:12 PM
Quote nutman:

Its a desktop PC.

If I turn off my speakers and use headphones then the signal is clear through the headphones.

So why do the speakers pick it up? Doesn't that suggest that the cables are picking up interference? But that doesn't explain why I didn't get any using my previous PC. same cables. 1/4 inch jack out the interface to XRL into my sub. Then XLRs from sub to left/right speakers.

I've also tried changing the leads from the Saffire to my sub, using the RCA outs instead of the 1/4 inch. Same issue

It's not likely a line level connection will pick up interference. Does it vary if you move the cables between Saffire and speakers around?

It suggests to me that there's a ground loop between THIS computer and the power supply for the speakers.

nutman

Re: New PC Creates Noise on External Soundcard - HELP! new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #986901 - 11/05/12 01:27 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

It's not likely a line level connection will pick up interference. Does it vary if you move the cables between Saffire and speakers around?

It suggests to me that there's a ground loop between THIS computer and the power supply for the speakers.

Doesn't vary if I move the cables around. How would I resolve the ground loop if that's the case?

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #986964 - 11/05/12 10:42 PM
Hi nutman, and welcome to the SOS Forums!

As EW mentions, your problem does sound suspiciously like a ground loop, so I suggest you have a read of the sticky thread I created in our PC Music forum entitled “Click here if your desktop/laptop audio contains strange noises”

www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=222392

Lots of step-by-step advice in there - hope it helps!

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #986986 - 12/05/12 06:12 AM
Hi and welcome nutman.
I was a bit worried that in your first post you said the noise was there "Before I even installed the drivers"
Now it is almost universal with usb AI's that you install drivers etc BEFORE you let the interface anywhere near the PC!

I doubt that it will cure the noise, I am pretty sure you are a candidate for a pair of SoS special leads, but it might be worth cleaning out the Focurite software and starting again, "from the book"? And I assume Win 7? I had a problem with this with my ZED10. Windows sets the gain too high, A&H, bless 'em, soon got me sorted.

Dave.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3600

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media