Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Darclinc

Loc: Earth
Graphics Cards & their possibly noisy fans
      #989164 - 23/05/12 03:30 PM
Hey Guys,

Slightly OTT in terms of just audio related, but I've got a potential problem with my DAW.

I run a 64-bit Windows 7, Core i7 3.0gHz with 24Gb RAM. While it's a great machine for audio I also use it to run Adobe software, After Effects, Premiere, Photoshop, etc., for work purposes.

Having upgraded to Adobe CS6 recently, some of the new functions, i.e. ray traced 3D extrusions for example, really require a proper GPU 3D graphics card like a Quadro of Nvidia GTX card to work properly at all. It's unusable at present. They are probably very noisy though, considering the dual fan designs and increased heat generation.

Are they going to be too noisy for audio work ?

So my question is this, if I get a card like this, is it going to effectively run in "idle mode" when running my sound apps, i.e., will I still be able to record / mix in a relatively quiet environment or is this GFX card going to undo all my hard work in terms of sourcing suitably quiet components, case fans, fanless GFX card, fanless CPU heatsync, insulated case, etc. ?

Moving the PC is not an option unfortunately.

Any advice in terms of CUDA GFX cards, noise levels or replacing uber GFX card stock fans would be greatly appreciated. I don't know much about this stuff at all.

Thanks,

D.

--------------------
www.thirdfloormusic.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Agharta

Re: Graphics Cards & their possibly noisy fans new [Re: Darclinc]
      #989182 - 23/05/12 05:45 PM
There are ways to use 150W GPUs in desktop PCs in relative silence under load and silence at idle and I recommend this website as probably the definitive reference source: http://www.silentpcreview.com/

Generally you want to use the latest GPUs (nVidia GTX 670/680; code name Kepler) as they are more power efficient (so easier to cool quietly) but there are debates on the Adobe forums as to how good these newer GPUs are for non gaming purposes such as CS6:
http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum

zenguitarAdministrator

Loc: Devon
      #989198 - 23/05/12 07:18 PM
can't help with the card but....

Happy Birthday Darclinc

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #989348 - 24/05/12 02:34 PM
Damn- I missed it, so a belated Happy Brithday to Darclinc!

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Darclinc

Re: Graphics Cards & their possibly noisy fans new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #989412 - 24/05/12 07:27 PM
Thanks ..

Turns out I share a birthday with Bob Moog.

Cool, right ?

D.

--------------------
www.thirdfloormusic.com

Richard Graham

Loc: Gateshead, UK
      #989478 - 25/05/12 03:01 AM
I bought a Gigabyte GTX 560 SOC, it has heat pipes and two very large and quiet fans. The power consumption when idling (I.e. when using audio rather than 3d apps) is lower than other cards in the same price range, and the thermals a kept correspondingly low. It is not completely silent but it is a quiet as a proper gaming card with fans could possibly be. The fan speed auto-adjusts downwards when not working hard, and unless the rest of your system is completely passively cooled, I doubt you'd notice the cards fans. It's a fairly big card but it fit in my midi style ATX case quite comfortably, tho it does take up one additional slot. It will run 2 dvi monitors and has hdmi too, if that sort of thing is useful to you. Check it out!

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/gigabyte_gtx_560_super_overclock_ review

http://www.ebuyer.com/279089-gigabyte-gtx-560-super-overclock-1gb-gddr5-du al-dvi-mini-hdmi-pci-e-gv-n56gso-1gi?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products

Note: You will need a decent PSU with two 6 pin power connectors, but this is standard crack with this class of video card.

--------------------
"if you don't have much soul left and you know it, you still got soul" - Bukowski

Richard Graham

#989485 - 25/05/12 06:13 AM
I can confirm that the Gigabyte 560 SOC is silent when idling. Just tested it. There's no decrease in noise when I stop both of its fans.

--------------------
"if you don't have much soul left and you know it, you still got soul" - Bukowski

Darclinc

Re: Graphics Cards & their possibly noisy fans new [Re: Richard Graham]
      #989851 - 27/05/12 01:05 PM
Hey Richard,

Thanks for the post, it is really appreciated.

As it turns out, luckily, one of my work colleagues recently purchased a GTX 560, so I was able to go test it out as his house. Works great with After Effects, and not too noisy at all.

That being said, he has several case fans going, so it's quite hard to hear exactly.

Anyway, I guess I'll be ordering one ...

Thanks,

D.

--------------------
www.thirdfloormusic.com

Richard Graham

#989902 - 27/05/12 08:13 PM
Quote Darclinc:

Hey Richard,

Thanks for the post, it is really appreciated.

As it turns out, luckily, one of my work colleagues recently purchased a GTX 560, so I was able to go test it out as his house. Works great with After Effects, and not too noisy at all.

That being said, he has several case fans going, so it's quite hard to hear exactly.

Anyway, I guess I'll be ordering one ...

Thanks,

D.

Glad I could help. If its silent you're after, the Gigabyte GTX 560 SOC (or another Gigabyte 560 with the same "WINDFORCE" cooler and fan arrangement) is the one to go for. I can't vouch for other brands or versions of the 560: the fans and heatsinks can vary enormously on the same chipset, depending on who makes it.

Check out my second link above, I think Ebuyer are doing the exact same model I bought for less than £150.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2869

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media