Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
DVD audio ripper free.
      #992030 - 09/06/12 09:02 AM
I have a need to extract audio from home made DVDs.
Presently I play them in realtime in WMP and record the audio in Sam8se for editing but I would like to reduce the extraction time.

I found a good app' in "Handbrake" but it only rips at 2x, ok better than real! But it also only dumps audio as MP4 and I can only open that with Reaper which WILL render to a .wav but takes forever again and "hides" the bloody .wav! Where tf does Reaper save the bulk of the audio please?

Dave.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
OneWorld

Re: DVD audio ripper free. new [Re: ef37a]
      #992195 - 10/06/12 02:07 PM
I use an app called Super. Only thing is, the actual download link is really well buried, suppose it is to stop spam, it is freeware and it offers lots of options.

On the home page there are lots of garden path links, but go to this page and go right to the bottom and click "start downloading super now"

http://www.erightsoft.com/S6Kg1.html

Another irritating part about it is, it seems to go straight to the web site each time it starts.

It is really good though. I have a PVR which lets me transfer content from the PVR HDD to a USB key. But it has it's own quirky filing. It saves as .ts but many media players won't recognise it. Super re-encodes it, as a .ts, or builds DVD (VOB folders) ready for burning to a DVD. I have tried other softwares, even bought software and it doesn't do the job as good as Super@, if at all. It comes with just about every codec you would need. You can extract audio in all kinds of formats

If Super were available for purchase, but with all the usuall activation fossicking about and not going on the website all the time, I would buy it. And no I have no vested interest in reccommending it

ef37a

Re: DVD audio ripper free. new [Re: OneWorld]
      #992200 - 10/06/12 02:46 PM
Thanks One but not quite what I am after.

I simply want to rip DVD sound from home recordings in a reasonable time frame and in a format I can open in Sam 8 or say Cubase LE6.

In fact I have just left this HP laptop running a 4 hour DVD together with Samplitude Silver and that does the job! First time I have tried leaving such a setup running for so long, chuffed that it worked!

Dave.

dmills

Loc: High Wycombe, UK
      #992202 - 10/06/12 02:54 PM
FFMPEG springs to mind as able to do this (and a whole lot more), Windows builds are available and there is probably a graphical shell for it available somewhere if you don't like just invoking it from the command line.

Failing that, just point a file browser at the disk, browse to the TS_AUDIO directory and find the audio files as mp4 data, then use whatever format converter you happen to like.

Regards, Dan.

--------------------
Audiophiles use phono leads because they are unbalanced people!

ef37a

#992275 - 11/06/12 09:56 AM
I think I have a deeper problem.

Realtime rip of a DVD gives me average levels of only -45-50dBFS and on replay virtually all the bird song is lost in noise.

When listening on the tv (Sony 32" Bravia) via a Panasonic HDD/DVD recorder the backgound noise is just garden "ambient" (the Berry 802 is doing STERLING service fed from a pair of cheap dymos!)and the wildlife stands out well.

So it seems the burning process adds a lot of noise and I shall have to jack my input levels by a good 20dB.

Dave.

chris...

Re: DVD audio ripper free. new [Re: dmills]
      #992822 - 14/06/12 11:58 AM
Quote dmills:

Failing that, just point a file browser at the disk, browse to the TS_AUDIO directory and find the audio files as mp4 data, then use whatever format converter you happen to like.

Hmm, I'm not sure I've ever seen an AUDIO_TS directory that isn't empty.

In practice, the audio data is part of the files in VIDEO_TS directory.

onesecondglance

Loc: Reading, UK
      #992842 - 14/06/12 02:44 PM
i'm pretty sure VirtualDub can extract the audio stream of a video file. it is also free and well worth having for any video editing you need to do, although it's rather picky about which files it supports (but there are plenty of plugins out there to allow it to handle more).

i think some of the freeware format converters also offer this option - the Pazera MP4 to AVI one springs to mind (no promises as i'm in work at the mo, so all of this is from caffeine-spliced memory only).

--------------------
hourglass | random thoughts | doubledotdash!? collective

dmills

Re: DVD audio ripper free. new [Re: chris...]
      #993059 - 15/06/12 05:03 PM
I know I have disks with audio in the audio directory, but a multiplexed transport stream is probably more common on mass market product.

FFMPEG can pick apart a multiplexed stream and decode the audio to a PCM file.

Regards, Dan.

--------------------

ef37a

#993061 - 15/06/12 05:11 PM
Cheers Dan,
I have realized that Audacity can play MP4 files (I think) and save them as .wav.
I have had a quick look at FFMPEG but need to work out a way to download it without getting something called Buzzcock or sommat!

SO hard these days to find a "clean" download!

Dave.

dmills

#993067 - 15/06/12 05:54 PM
What is wrong with the link to Windows binaries from ffmpeg.org?
http://ffmpeg.org/download.html

I would expect them to be safe, but as ever no guarantees.

Regards, Dan.

--------------------

ef37a

#993086 - 15/06/12 08:27 PM
Quote dmills:

What is wrong with the link to Windows binaries from ffmpeg.org?
http://ffmpeg.org/download.html

I would expect them to be safe, but as ever no guarantees.

Regards, Dan.

Nope, sorry Dan that's all beyond me and Windows won't open much of it.

But what I really meant was not that downloads are unsafe but that you do seem to ever be able to just download what you want, you get toolbars or download managers or all kinds of **** that needs to be unistalled or in some cases cannot be without a lot of trouble.

Dave.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3208

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media