Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
WiredUp

Any free Daws?
      #993461 - 18/06/12 06:23 PM
I have a neighbour doing music at college. Her folks got her a Yamaha digital piano. I think it would be good for her to connect it up to her PC so she can discover the joys of midi and what not.
She's really not very techy so I said I'd help her. So I'll source some midi cables and a basic interface but what about software? Do any of the daws do a cut down free/lite version?
I'm a pro tools man and its been years since I looked at the other systems. I know reaper is affordable but I can't ask her folks to buy something at this stage, just want to get her on the first step.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
lowlights

Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah
Re: Any free Daws? new [Re: WiredUp]
      #993467 - 18/06/12 07:24 PM
There's always Audacity (for PC and Mac), but I don't believe it includes MIDI functions. But it's a free multi-tracking DAW, using VST plugins (which can be found free, etc.)

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/features

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #993468 - 18/06/12 07:27 PM
Reaper isn't exactly expensive - let the programmers have their due. Your neighbours were quite happy to spend money on the Yamaha piano, so why not the price of a couple of curries to inspire a lifetime of creative potential?

But don't forget that Reaper is free to get started with, so if it goes no further what's to lose?

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
Re: Any free Daws? new [Re: The Elf]
      #993474 - 18/06/12 07:55 PM
Quote The Elf:

Reaper isn't exactly expensive - let the programmers have their due. Your neighbours were quite happy to spend money on the Yamaha piano, so why not the price of a couple of curries to inspire a lifetime of creative potential?

But don't forget that Reaper is free to get started with, so if it goes no further what's to lose?

+1

That would give her the chance to try it out and give the parents time to realise the potential value. The eventual suggestion to buy is v persuasive, leaving you free from the role of persuader/salesperson.

If she does take her time to commit (the learning curve is not steep initially but may appear to be if she's not already a midi user) no heavies will be sent to the door.

--------------------
Anagrams can be fnu.

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
      #993483 - 18/06/12 09:11 PM
There's a free version of Podium, and cut-down versions of other DAWs (eg Ableton Live Lite), but a Reaper trial would probably be the most sensible first step these days.

Mixedup

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Re: Any free Daws? new [Re: BJG145]
      #993631 - 19/06/12 07:59 PM
I reckon Reaper is a good bet but can be a bit overwhelming for inexperienced DAW users. There's a decent free version of Presonus Studio One, and the paid (not that expensive) upgrades to full(er) versions are good too. The biggest limitation is of the free version is that you're limited to using the bundled plug-ins rather than use third-party ones. Very user-friendly DAW IMHO.

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
      #993633 - 19/06/12 08:43 PM
Interesting...yeah, surely that has to be the best-looking strictly free DAW out there.

http://studioone.presonus.com/free/]http://studioone.presonus.com/free/

I suppose the strategy makes sense if they get some £300 upgraders.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec11/articles/studio-one-v2.htm
http://studioone.presonus.com/shop/buy-studio-one-pro/

WiredUp

Re: Any free Daws? new [Re: BJG145]
      #993646 - 19/06/12 11:25 PM
Thanks guys, presonus might be the way to go, I'll download it and take it for a spin.
Its a shame there isn't just a decent simple midi sequencer, this girl is likely to give up if presented with too much.

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #993661 - 20/06/12 07:08 AM
Do have a look at MAGIX Samplitude Silver, totally free (you have to register it after a week or so but still bukshee).

It is limited to 8 tracks and minimal pluggins per track but is otherwise very useful. Full MIDI implementation, VST and ASIO support.

Teachers might go for it because AFAICS you just download it once and then each student can "activate" it on their own PC (not macs) with their own email address.

Dave.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3208

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media