Main Forums >> PC Music
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
OneWorld

Cakewalk inc. Are you listening?
      #994838 - 26/06/12 02:37 PM
When will these online registration/activation gubbins get sorted out - Propellerheads and others can do it, nay problems, so why is Cakewalk so incredibly exasperating?

I bought 2 products some time ago. Dimension Pro and Zeta +2. I wanted to update about 6 months ago and got the message "that product is not registered" even though I had registered it when first bought it. SO I thought OK, I'll 'register' it. During that attempt I get the message 'that email is already registered' so in the contact support email equivaqlent of calling a Call Centre....the endless list of several choices, none of which leads anywhere useful. I am getting the same thing all over again!

I finally find a support page where I can write about my problem, I write in detail with all activation codes, registration and serial numbers etc, my email and have to fill in the whole goddam form (pardon me but have been on the case an hour already) which means firts name, second name, city, zip, shoe size, colour of my curtains, my favourite breakfast cereal, the position of the sun at 3:00pm in the 3 quartile etc etc etc

And then a message comes up - sorry our website seems to be broke!!!!!

I ask you Mr/Mrs Cakewalk, would all this make the average customer want to climb mountains, cross rivers, vanquish the cloven hooved one to get to their piggy bank and empty it just to get one of your products? I don't think so, I for one avoid your products, for this reason

Why not have a simple tab on the web page Support => tell us your problem with email, serial number and that's that, why not adopt the Zen way of doing things and make things easy - more convoluted = more exasperating, beleive me, the simple approach is much more elegant and pleasing to use, and it WORKS!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Chevytraveller

Loc: London
Re: Cakewalk inc. Are you listening? new [Re: OneWorld]
      #994840 - 26/06/12 02:41 PM
Sounds like it's time to take your money to another DAW producer.. plenty of other good ones out there with decent support..

--------------------
MBP 15", Motu 896, X-Station, LogicX, Reason7, Korg legacy, ACE, Alchemy, Emulator II, E-Synth, Obie-4V, Evolver MEK, Waldorf Pulse and Blofeld, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S

OneWorld

Re: Cakewalk inc. Are you listening? new [Re: Chevytraveller]
      #994841 - 26/06/12 02:51 PM
Quote Chevytraveller:

Sounds like it's time to take your money to another DAW producer.. plenty of other good ones out there with decent support..

Thanks but I have already bought the products in question, I just want the update, I can't shell out £££'s and then just ditch the software, it isn't as if I only just spent a fiver It is indicative of the service they provide, actually buyiung the items and paying was seamless, took a few minutes literally, getting the updates is like pulling teeth

OneWorld

#995048 - 27/06/12 07:24 PM
It gets worse!

I contacted Cakewalk Support. They sent me a link to download the product again, they link went to the wrong version of what I need!

But I thought I will download this older version so I would have a backup - It froze!

I sent another email to Support.

They sent me a link to the update I need, telling me I do not need log in anyway to get the update.

I followed the link and go to the download page - hooray, oops, not yet - the page tells me I have to log in, and that's the whole issue - I can't log in that's what i keep trying to tell them.

I try to log in and it says the details are wrong - so I try and reregister the product and the goddam website says the products are already registered - and then there are those on here that say software beats hardware, I pity those poor sods who have spend £100's on Cakewalk software, I only spent £150 but that's enough for me, as soon as I get this sorted never again will I buy one of their products

OneWorld

#995050 - 27/06/12 07:38 PM
I sent an email asking for the name of the Company Director and now I have a new login and some free patches - result :-)

dadking

#995080 - 27/06/12 11:21 PM
I am not saying this is the case but I did have the same problem when registering a GPS unit from Garmin, it turns out that the serial number on my unit was already in use by a cracked unit, so every time i tried to register, it told me i was already registered,they did sort it out for me though.

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #995122 - 28/06/12 09:13 AM
Quote OneWorld:

I sent an email asking for the name of the Company Director and now I have a new login and some free patches - result :-)

Not sure who is in charge now that they're part of Roland, but when Greg Hendershott was still running Cakewalk, he was very responsive to problems - although I could never convince him that he should change the software to send real note off messages

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

OneWorld

Re: Cakewalk inc. Are you listening? new [Re: James Perrett]
      #995137 - 28/06/12 10:05 AM
Quote James Perrett:

Quote OneWorld:

Not sure who is in charge now that they're part of Roland, but when Greg Hendershott was still running Cakewalk, he was very responsive to problems - although I could never convince him that he should change the software to send real note off messages

James.

Good point, as it happens I did have dealings with Cakewalk back in the day and that was one of the things that I found good about Cakewalk, they were very customer friendly.

I have to admit they are on the case now, there is a registration issue with one of the products but they gave me a download link so at least I can install the and use the product till they get the registration database updated. But it really is exasperating...please register the product, your product is already registered, please register your product, your product is already registered

They are being helpful now though I have to admit

DaveWWW

#995167 - 28/06/12 11:08 AM
I recall having a registration issue with Cakewalk products I already owned and previously registered. I recall the solution for me was: Find the stand-alone program on your PC (Dimension Pro standalone, for example), and run it as Administrator. So in Vista/Windows &, type the name of the program on the search bar on the Start Menu, right-click the program and select Run as Administrator. I recall this solving the problem.

Dave

OneWorld

Re: Cakewalk inc. Are you listening? new [Re: DaveWWW]
      #995236 - 28/06/12 04:23 PM
Quote DaveWWW:

I recall having a registration issue with Cakewalk products I already owned and previously registered. I recall the solution for me was: Find the stand-alone program on your PC (Dimension Pro standalone, for example), and run it as Administrator. So in Vista/Windows &, type the name of the program on the search bar on the Start Menu, right-click the program and select Run as Administrator. I recall this solving the problem.

Dave

Thanks but that's not the issue.

I want to download updates/upgrades.

In order to do that I need to login to my customer account

When I tried to do that it said ID Unknown - in Cakewalk the email address is th elogin ID

So when I tried to re-register, setup a new account - it said "ID already registered"

They have now set me up with a new account and I logged into it, but it doesn't show all the products I registered, only one of them, so now I can log on but still cannot get to the upgrades/updates I want because the product they relate to are not listed in my account.

A friend of mine has the updates so I have nicked them off him, but that's not a fix, that's a workaround.

They are on the case - again, I don't think they are reading my messages properly

clube

Loc: UK
      #995308 - 29/06/12 08:42 AM
This is a sad story for the once excellent Cakewalk.
Prior to the Roland buyout their service and attention to
Customers was peerless. But since the advent of Roland,
Instead of seeig the undoubted benefits such an organisation could bring, there has been a steady decline.
Having said that, the support of other companies can be just as patchy.
Digidesign (Avid)were so awful I swore never to buy another of their products, and I hold to that some twelve years later.
Presonus too have their couldn't care moments but have the grace to apologise unlike Digidesign.
Glad to hear Roland eventually did the right thing for you.

--------------------
Music is the gift of God

OneWorld

Re: Cakewalk inc. Are you listening? new [Re: clube]
      #995498 - 30/06/12 12:10 PM
Quote clube:

Glad to hear Roland eventually did the right thing for you.

This was a case of premature jubilation, Cakewalk did get my account login sorted, but as mentioned, not all my products are showing.

I emailed Cakewalk about this and they said they would get right on the case, that was on Wednesday, now it's Saturday, since Wednesday, nothing.

Curious how the systems they have in place to take your money always seems to work. I'm certainly relieved I am not a person whose livelihood depends on Cakewalk products. When I read interviews with the professionals and what equipment/software they have I cannot recall a single one that cited Cakewalk as their go to application - that speaks volumes.

I have built up my new DAW now and am wondering whether to go ahead and install the Cakewalk software or just write off the loss because this lamentable level of support makes me wonder. When I have contacted Native Instruments and the like, I get a resolution within a day or so at the most.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3460

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media