Main Forums >> News
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Scrumper

WOPR - subtractive iPad synth with unique modulation
      #1017948 - 09/11/12 06:18 PM
I just released WOPR, a subtractive synth for iPad 2+ which eschews the usual LFOs in favour of a grid of evolving creatures called cellular automata. In practice that means you get complicated, tempo-synced rhythmic modulation of any synth parameter including signal flow & architecture.

WOPR is a powerful VA synth in its own right: stereo, 6 note polyphony, two oscillators with 4 wave types each, 32' to 1' range, +/- 500 cent detune, noise generator, twin assignable resonant LPF filters, twin delays (free and beat synced), three assignable envelopes, per-note pitch bending and a full-width keyboard. The modulation makes it into something else altogether.

More info here: www.omnivoresoft.com

And the link to the App Store: WOPR on the App Store

Thanks for reading!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Richard Graham

Loc: Gateshead, UK
Re: WOPR - subtractive iPad synth with unique modulation new [Re: Scrumper]
      #1018565 - 14/11/12 01:59 PM
Quote Scrumper:

I just released WOPR, a subtractive synth for iPad 2+ which eschews the usual LFOs in favour of a grid of evolving creatures called cellular automata. In practice that means you get complicated, tempo-synced rhythmic modulation of any synth parameter including signal flow & architecture.

WOPR is a powerful VA synth in its own right: stereo, 6 note polyphony, two oscillators with 4 wave types each, 32' to 1' range, +/- 500 cent detune, noise generator, twin assignable resonant LPF filters, twin delays (free and beat synced), three assignable envelopes, per-note pitch bending and a full-width keyboard. The modulation makes it into something else altogether.

More info here: www.omnivoresoft.com

And the link to the App Store: WOPR on the App Store

Thanks for reading!

Hi Scrumper, looks very promising, and I have invested my 69p... I particularly like the reference to Vintage 1970s code, being of that vintage myself ... But I have played with it for all of 30 seconds and one of the notes is hanging. I can't find a panic button anywhere, or any way of turning off that note! Can you help me?

--------------------
"if you don't have much soul left and you know it, you still got soul" - Bukowski

Scrumper

Re: WOPR - subtractive iPad synth with unique modulation new [Re: Richard Graham]
      #1019158 - 18/11/12 03:22 PM
Hi Richard,

Thanks for investing in WOPR. Sorry you've got stuck notes on there. You can tap the note again to stop it hanging. I've added a panic button to the current development version, so the next update you get after 1.1 will have this.

I spent a lot of time on the keyboard code to prevent stuck notes, but as everyone plays differently it could be that I've optimised it for my particular style. What were you playing at the time to stick a note?

Thanks

Edited by Scrumper (18/11/12 03:22 PM)

Richard Graham

#1019205 - 18/11/12 09:11 PM
Quote Scrumper:

Hi Richard,

Thanks for investing in WOPR. Sorry you've got stuck notes on there. You can tap the note again to stop it hanging. I've added a panic button to the current development version, so the next update you get after 1.1 will have this.

I spent a lot of time on the keyboard code to prevent stuck notes, but as everyone plays differently it could be that I've optimised it for my particular style. What were you playing at the time to stick a note?

Thanks

Hi and thanks Scrumper, for looking into it and putting a panic button on the next release. I've played with the synth a lot since I reported the problem and it has never stuck again, so it was a rare one off I think!

It's very different from any other synth I've got, for sure. Very good for random and beepy tones.

Good on you.

--------------------
"if you don't have much soul left and you know it, you still got soul" - Bukowski

Richard Graham

#1019207 - 18/11/12 09:16 PM
P.s. I'm sorry I can't remember what I did to produce the stuck note... Random messing around, I think I was playing several notes at once and sliding up and down the keys, because your synth does good slidey notes! Nothing as sophisticated as playing a tune, that's for sure!

--------------------

Scrumper

Re: WOPR - subtractive iPad synth with unique modulation new [Re: Richard Graham]
      #1019498 - 20/11/12 07:33 PM
Richard, great, thanks! WOPR puts a pretty hefty strain on the CPU when it's running all-out, so likely you got the stuck note while you were at the polyphony limit while still throwing new notes down and it just missed your 'note off' in all the confusion. If you're using the on-screen keyboard (rather than MIDI), this can happen when you have long release times on the envelopes. Again, stuck notes shouldn't ever happen, but I'm glad it's not occurred again. (I don't feel too bad about the odd random gremlin; my Korg Radias occasionally plays silly buggers and I think you could buy 700 WOPRs for the price of one of those...)

It's definitely got the sci-fi vibe about it. The patch "George and Gracie" shows that off nicely, if you use the pitch bending wribbon keyboard. Anyway, I'm glad you like that and I'm pleased you appreciate it for what it is.

If you have any other ideas or problems please feel free to use support@omnivoresoft.com or feedback@omnivoresoft.com. I can generally get back to people much quicker on that than on the various forums.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3236

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media