Main Forums >> News
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
timcupwise

Radio Junk - Free lofi vst effects
      #1019823 - 22/11/12 07:11 PM
So I have an entry in the 2012 KVR Dev Challenge. Some people here might be familiar with my Nebula work, and this entry uses that tech in a standalone form known as Acqua (so you don't need Nebula). It's my first non-Nebula dependent anything, and when I actually first entered it into the contest there were several bugs, but I just uploaded an update that I think has ironed them out.

Anyway, these effects were sampled from 2 old radios, one a transistor and the other a tube radio. There are 3 effects. 2 are geared towards distortion, the 3rd is more of a tone tool. Martin Walker of SoS contributed some presets too! You can see the entry and if you like it, vote here:
KVR: KVR Audio Developer Challenge 2012

If you haven't ever used Nebula or even Nebula free, or tried any of my free tube radio effects demos for use with Nebula, then now is a good chance to try something out that's a little different from any other vst stuff you have.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
oggyb

Loc: Leeds, UK
Re: Radio Junk - Free lofi vst effects new [Re: timcupwise]
      #1019844 - 22/11/12 11:22 PM
Yo, are these to be used over the top of a track as an insert distortion effect or as a reverb, or both?

--------------------
Composer;
www.ogonline.org

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: Radio Junk - Free lofi vst effects new [Re: oggyb]
      #1019862 - 23/11/12 12:57 AM
Hi oggyb!

I'd personally use them as an insert effect on single tracks rather than on the master buss - you can get an incredible variety of EQ/preamp/distortion sounds out of these plug-ins with some judicious knob-tweaking, but most of them are what I'd term radical rather than subtle

The interaction between the various controls can sometimes be a bit unpredictable as well - that's what I liked about them, since I love exploring new sonic realms

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

timcupwise

Re: Radio Junk - Free lofi vst effects new [Re: oggyb]
      #1019868 - 23/11/12 02:14 AM
insert, rather than send. but if you figured out a way to use them as a send...
actually here's one idea- you could apply them to a reverb/delay send track to dirty up your echos/delays/reverbs and give them a more filtered/analog/junky sound.

but to really get an idea of what i had in mind when making these, just load up a drum loop and send it through the 'radio detuned' effect, and either try some of the presets, or start tweaking knobs. the way it works is a bit unpredictable, as martin pointed out, so you basically keep adjusting things until you hit a sweet spot that gives you a really weird/unusual result.

oggyb

Loc: Leeds, UK
Re: Radio Junk - Free lofi vst effects new [Re: timcupwise]
      #1020015 - 24/11/12 01:54 AM
Downloading, will report back on experience

--------------------
Composer;
www.ogonline.org

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2153

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media