Main Forums >> News
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
neutralaudio

Loc: Cadiz
Have you heard of DREi Technology from NEUTRAL AUDIO that promises to enhance any sound system??
      #1033916 - 18/02/13 12:19 PM
NEUTRAL AUDIO TECHNOLOGES have the first deintermodulators ever!

PROMISES TO ENHANCE ANY SOUND SYSTEM BY ADDING IT

These are the first of their kind, attenuating intermodulation, which is interference of electronical interacions and brining richness to music, weather live or not, and clarity that will not be forgotten!

D.R.E.i- dynamic reduction of electronic interactions

With their X-DREi Pro model, widly used by artists such as Sir Tom Jones, Seal, Allen Parsons Project, Jamie Cullum, Rihanna, RHCP, etc. used in-ears, FOH and studios, technicians are using this technology more and more. Neutral Audio are now offering the DREi Micro, a smaller model, enhancing any sound system it is inserted into, live or domestic bringing a fuller bass and clearer top end, clarity and richness.

the DREi Micro Model is the best seller at the moment due to its affordable price.

All of NEUTRAL AUDIO de-intermodulators are now avalible to everyone
www.neutralaudio.com

Edited by neutraljames (18/02/13 01:00 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Kwackman

Loc: Belfast
Re: Have you heard of DREi Technology from NEUTRAL AUDIO?? new [Re: neutralaudio]
      #1033922 - 18/02/13 12:42 PM
I've been on your site., and found the text below.
You aren't connected to a Mr. R Andrews are you?

From your website..... (About your technology)

· It readjusts and corrects errors produced by the electronics due to their tolerance errors and that can add up.
· Small musical details that may be hidden by the interactions of electric circuits, appear with unusual force and cadence.
· The timbres and nuances of the voices and instruments are more present and harmonious.
· Clarifies orchestral and choral masses, affected by digital circuits used in recording and playback and which are masked by other instruments.
· Absolute control over the total signal power to be amplified that is always directed to the filters and speakers, and preventing energy to be taken from other frequencies.

--------------------
Cubase, guitars.

The Korff
Loose Cannon (Reviews Editor)

Loc: The Wrong Precinct
Re: Have you heard of DREi Technology from NEUTRAL AUDIO that promises to enhance any sound system?? new [Re: neutralaudio]
      #1033948 - 18/02/13 02:44 PM
Quote:

The relationship between music and "other things" increases dramatically

I'm not quite sure where to begin...

MarkOne

Loc: Bristol, England, Earth, Perus...
Re: Have you heard of DREi Technology from NEUTRAL AUDIO that promises to enhance any sound system?? new [Re: The Korff]
      #1033950 - 18/02/13 03:11 PM
Quote Korff:

Quote:

The relationship between music and "other things" increases dramatically

I'm not quite sure where to begin...

Perhaps with the input and output scope traces..

--------------------
New album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!
Making of Fantasy Bridge Diary

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Have you heard of DREi Technology from NEUTRAL AUDIO?? new [Re: Kwackman]
      #1033954 - 18/02/13 03:35 PM
I suspect some of the strange claims and use of language are due to this being a Spanish company, and English may well not be a first language.

But I looked at the website too and also struggled to form a good understanding of what the technology is supposed to do... clearly a primary function is heavy filtering at both ends of the audio bandwidth, but the blurb reads like the usual hi-fi snake oil and is meaningless gibberish. It's a shame, because I suspect this might actually be something quite clever and useful...

Hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Folderol

Loc: Rochester, UK
Re: Have you heard of DREi Technology from NEUTRAL AUDIO that promises to enhance any sound system?? new [Re: neutralaudio]
      #1033979 - 18/02/13 07:49 PM
A large quantity of elderly shoemakers

--------------------
It wasn't me!
(Well, actually, it probably was)

neutralaudio

#1034131 - 19/02/13 03:25 PM

video of oscillicop with pink noise and DREi tech off/on

http://youtu.be/1D0q28b_FOM

SOS Technical Editor

#1034140 - 19/02/13 04:41 PM
WTF?

H

--------------------

The Korff

Re: Have you heard of DREi Technology from NEUTRAL AUDIO that promises to enhance any sound system?? new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1034142 - 19/02/13 04:43 PM
it doesnt any sense??

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1034143 - 19/02/13 04:46 PM
WOW!!

Well, that's convinced me.

I *must* buy an oscilloscope!

As to DREi...

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

The Korff

Re: Have you heard of DREi Technology from NEUTRAL AUDIO that promises to enhance any sound system?? new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1034145 - 19/02/13 04:48 PM
This vid is even weirder...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZrcM_R5hs8

"You can watch as triangular and square waves are reinterpreted to be more like sine waves and avoid problems with sound reproduction."

So it's a severe low-pass filter??

Beepstatus

Loc: Noord-brabant
Re: Have you heard of DREi Technology from NEUTRAL AUDIO that promises to enhance any sound system?? new [Re: The Korff]
      #1034148 - 19/02/13 04:54 PM
Yea the bandlimitted squarewave is also pretty nice!

--------------------
http://www.schlukhash.nl/

hollowsun

Loc: Cowbridge, South Wales
      #1034151 - 19/02/13 05:02 PM
Quote neutralaudio:

video of oscillicop with pink noise and DREi tech off/on

http://youtu.be/1D0q28b_FOM

Kind of a bit useless - people don't SEE sounds, they listen to them and you don't have an audio track so that the difference (or DREi 'enhancement') can be heard.

What was more uncomfortable for me was the video showing DREi on/off with triangle and square waves HERE (again, no audio). The triangle is turned into a slightly asymmetric sine wave and the square wave becomes an odd, spiky pulse that's quite boosted in level.

I have a modular analogue synth - I would have to quite heavily filter the triangle wave to get a sine and use the Clipper and/or Rectifiers module or a fairly resonant bandpass filter to get that spiky square wave. Which is fine in that context for the creation of sounds for making electronic music. Not sure I'd want my audio mixes so radically altered.

But before/after audio examples would be more effective than oscilloscope traces.

--------------------
Website / Music Lab Machines / Blog

SOS Technical Editor

#1034152 - 19/02/13 05:05 PM
It's not weird, it's just showing the effects of band-pass filtering on simple waveforms.

If you remove or reduce some of the higher harmonics (integration) from a triangle wave you end up with something that looks a lot more like a sine wave -- the asymmetry and bent sine wave shape is due to the remaining harmonics and their relative phase relationships.

And if you differentiate a square wave (high-pass filter) you lose the flat tops and bottoms and get the slopes that change in direction when the polarity switches. How spiky it looks depends on the filter time constant relatice to the fundamental frequency.

So these fabulously untechnical wobbly 'scope videos imply that the DREI technology is little more than a band-pass filtering system. How did we ever cope without that before... oh wait...

I don't know whether these pointless and meaningless videos are being posted by a a completely non-technical marketing bod who doesn't realise how silly he is making the company look, or whether this is a deliberate attempt to blind idiots with non-science like women's face-cream adverts! If the latter, then he's come to the wrong place... We're not worth it!

As I said earlier, it's a great shame because the endorsements (some of which seem to be from from credible people) suggest there is something interesting and worthwhile about this processing in some way.

hugh

--------------------

Exalted Wombat

#1034160 - 19/02/13 05:47 PM
Unfortunate name, which could be confused with

http://uk.beatsbydre.com/ a sort of "Bose for skate-boarders" brand.

hollowsun

Loc: Cowbridge, South Wales
      #1034162 - 19/02/13 06:12 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

or whether this is a deliberate attempt to blind idiots with non-science like women's face-cream adverts! If the latter, then he's come to the wrong place... We're not worth it!

Snigger!

--------------------
Website / Music Lab Machines / Blog

Anonymous
Unregistered

#1034171 - 19/02/13 07:49 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

WTF?

H

Priceless!

Beepstatus

Loc: Noord-brabant
Re: Have you heard of DREi Technology from NEUTRAL AUDIO that promises to enhance any sound system?? new [Re: ]
      #1034194 - 19/02/13 09:30 PM
Couldn't resist

http://www.schlukhash.nl/index.php/radio-calculator-exe

(Just because RLC cirquit can both remove aliassing and low frequency wobble from a mix suffering the effects of digital conversion. So you the engineer can compress it again safe and sound)

--------------------
http://www.schlukhash.nl/

Edited by Beepstatus (19/02/13 09:38 PM)

Folderol

Loc: Rochester, UK
      #1034200 - 19/02/13 10:31 PM
I say Hugh. That's a nasty ring on that last trace. Maybe it needs a ring demodulator

--------------------
It wasn't me!
(Well, actually, it probably was)

neutralaudio

#1034246 - 20/02/13 10:02 AM
Videos con DREi OFF/ON:
http://www.neutralaudio.com/en/tonesvideos.htm

y wave view:
http://www.neutralaudio.com/press/waveview.pdf

more DREi info:
http://www.neutralaudio.com/en/drei.htm

technical data:
http://www.x-drei.com/

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
Re: Have you heard of DREi Technology from NEUTRAL AUDIO that promises to enhance any sound system?? new [Re: Folderol]
      #1034254 - 20/02/13 10:20 AM
Quote Folderol:

I say Hugh. That's a nasty ring on that trace.

Could be worse - could be the other way round.

This is like watching the Christine Hamilton and her husband Whats-His-Name on 'Have I Got News For You'.

Actually on reflection I'm sure lots of people would be glad to pay quite a lot for a neutral deintermodulator. Presumably the more neutral it gets the less apparent it sounds and the more expensive it becomes until you're paying top dollar for premium product which sounds -almost- as if it's doing absolutely nothing.

Do you accept Credit Cards?

--------------------
Onward and outward

Edited by shufflebeat (20/02/13 10:27 AM)

SOS Technical Editor

#1034259 - 20/02/13 10:30 AM
This has now officially become hilarious. Don't let this man have a gun, he'll never walk properly again.... I give up.

H

--------------------

MarkOne

Loc: Bristol, England, Earth, Perus...
      #1034265 - 20/02/13 11:11 AM
Quote neutralaudio:

Videos con DREi OFF/ON:
http://www.neutralaudio.com/en/tonesvideos.htm

y wave view:
http://www.neutralaudio.com/press/waveview.pdf

more DREi info:
http://www.neutralaudio.com/en/drei.htm

technical data:
http://www.x-drei.com/

Yes... Very um interesting.

But... What does it DO?

Perhaps if you were to provide Hugh and the guys a review sample they could review it and tell us.

--------------------
New album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!
Making of Fantasy Bridge Diary

SOS Technical Editor

Re: Have you heard of DREi Technology from NEUTRAL AUDIO that promises to enhance any sound system?? new [Re: MarkOne]
      #1034274 - 20/02/13 11:49 AM
Quote MarkOne:

Perhaps if you were to provide Hugh and the guys a review sample they could review it and tell us.

They have offered, and we have invited them, to submit a unit for test.

H

--------------------

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #1034319 - 20/02/13 01:51 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

WTF?

H

Genuine lol.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #1034320 - 20/02/13 01:51 PM
I think my avatar is applicable here.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

desmond

Re: Have you heard of DREi Technology from NEUTRAL AUDIO that promises to enhance any sound system?? new [Re: Richie Royale]
      #1034331 - 20/02/13 02:19 PM
Quote Richie Royale:

Quote Hugh Robjohns:

WTF?

H

Genuine lol.

Indeed. I think that's my favourite post from Hugh to date.

(Followed up by his admission of watching the MrT program on TV, hehe... I pictured hugh as being far more cultured and high-brow than that... )

SOS Technical Editor

Re: Have you heard of DREi Technology from NEUTRAL AUDIO that promises to enhance any sound system?? new [Re: desmond]
      #1034340 - 20/02/13 03:09 PM
There's nothing quite as entertaining as revelling in the utter brainless stupidity of the Darwinianly challenged!

H

--------------------

neutralaudio

#1034624 - 22/02/13 08:28 AM
What is DREi?

DREi reinterprets the waveforms:

A speaker is fully efficient when it comes to reproducing sinusoidal waveforms. DREi reinterprets the signals to be as similar to sinusoidal as possible, limiting the amplification of waveforms unsuitable for the speakers. Passive filters in the speakers also tend to respond worse with square or triangular signals, especially the capacitors and coils. At no instant any information is lost, only redefined, and so the total final energy is the same as the original.

DREi is a DeIntermodulator:

Harmonic Distortion Neutralizer. Daily engineers and technicians work to reduce the inevitable intermodulation that occurs in the electrical signal that flows through the electronic components and impairing the purity, the three-dimensionality and the finished musical quality. They also use various tools to minimize the intermodulation of the nearest frequencies. DREi attenuates both modes of intermodulation, becoming a powerful tool for optimum sound.

DREi adjust the soundstage:

Using a new topology of amplification, DREi dynamically controls multiple buffers or preamps for a stereophonic signal. This enables the user to adjust the end soundstage by controlling these buffers and obtaining the best response in conjunction of the amplification, speakers and listening position. It is not an equalizer, and does not produce audio artifacts. The frequency response is affected depending on the chosen position to align the associated system. The user can disable these sound stage modes, but the DREi process will always be run at 100%.

· Strong, powerful and detailed bass
· Very present and extremely clear treble and midrange
· Clearly defined soundscape and background
· Clear air and audible reverb tails
· Eases mixes in the professional sector
· Better sound diffusion in live concerts
· Eases tone in the in-ears for artists
· And more ...

· Enhances the overall sound quality of the system of which it is installed. More efficiency and better performance.

· Corrects errors produced by the electronics due to tolerances that can add up.

· Small musical details that may be hidden by the interactions of electric circuits appear with unusual force and cadence.

· The timbres and nuances of the voices and instruments are more present and harmonious.

· Clarifies orchestral and choral masses, affected by digital circuits used in recording and playback and which are masked by the other instruments.

· Controls the total energy of the signal to be amplified preventing energy being taken by other frequencies.

The music flows smoothly, neutrally and with crystalline transparency
AS A RESULT A MORE EFFICIENT SYSTEM.

· You get more natural clean and accurate sounds
· The dynamics are increased
· Real and defined voices with full integrity
· Greater channel separation
· High dimensionality and distinction of sound levels and layers
· Increased openness
· Minimizes acoustical problems in rooms
· Increases the sound pressure with the same system
Test a DeIntermodulator in a real situation. You can personally check that does what we say.

Mitigate the harmful INTERMODULATION that occurs between two or more signals with different frequencies (or instruments). They occur in all the elements that make up an audio playback system and impairs the purity of the original musical signal.

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
      #1034626 - 22/02/13 08:35 AM
Please provide good quality audio files so we can see/hear for ourselves the benefits of your work.

--------------------
Onward and outward

Mike Stranks

Loc: Oxford, UK
      #1034628 - 22/02/13 08:48 AM
Oh dear...

... this seems to be on a par with the 'advice' I was given way back in the 70s not to buy a mixer with more than four channels as the electronics couldn't cope with blending too many signals together...

Chevytraveller

Loc: London
Re: Have you heard of DREi Technology from NEUTRAL AUDIO that promises to enhance any sound system?? new [Re: Mike Stranks]
      #1034635 - 22/02/13 09:34 AM
This sounds like a great device to review for the April issue..

--------------------
MBP 15", Motu 896, X-Station, LogicX, Reason7, Korg legacy, ACE, Alchemy, Emulator II, E-Synth, Obie-4V, Evolver MEK, Waldorf Pulse and Blofeld, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S

SOS Technical Editor

#1034638 - 22/02/13 09:48 AM
It's really not getting any better, is it? But you are getting more exposure for your product. Well done. I wonder if it's the right kind of exposure though?

H

--------------------

The Red Bladder

Loc: . ...
      #1034639 - 22/02/13 09:51 AM
Quote neutralaudio:

What is DREi?

DREi reinterprets the waveforms:

A speaker is fully efficient when it comes to reproducing sinusoidal waveforms. DREi reinterprets the signals to be as similar to sinusoidal as possible, limiting the amplification of waveforms unsuitable for the speakers. Passive filters in the speakers also tend to respond worse with square or triangular signals, especially the capacitors and coils. At no instant any information is lost, only redefined, and so the total final energy is the same as the original.

DREi is a DeIntermodulator:

Harmonic Distortion Neutralizer. Daily engineers and technicians work to reduce the inevitable intermodulation that occurs in the electrical signal that flows through the electronic components and impairing the purity, the three-dimensionality and the finished musical quality. They also use various tools to minimize the intermodulation of the nearest frequencies. DREi attenuates both modes of intermodulation, becoming a powerful tool for optimum sound.

etc., etc., etc.

One hardly knows where to start with rubbish like this, as it comes very close to fraud.

I wonder about people like this and wonder if some of them sometimes believe what they are saying. All this nutter has got is a simple filter (as Hugh pints out). This is O-Level stuff, when we discovered the magic workings of a capacitor and got to see the physics teacher fiddle about with an oscilloscope and hear the results through a speaker.

But it does make for fun reading!

Exalted Wombat

Re: Have you heard of DREi Technology from NEUTRAL AUDIO that promises to enhance any sound system?? new [Re: The Red Bladder]
      #1034650 - 22/02/13 11:32 AM
But some people SO want to believe this sort of thing...

SOS Technical Editor

Re: Have you heard of DREi Technology from NEUTRAL AUDIO that promises to enhance any sound system?? new [Re: The Red Bladder]
      #1034652 - 22/02/13 11:39 AM
Quote The Red Bladder:

One hardly knows where to start with rubbish like this, as it comes very close to fraud.

As I've said previously, I think the product itself probably does do something useful -- and the endorsees and reviews appear to support that notion. What we have here is an excess of marketing enthusiasm with an almost complete lack of technical foundation... but it's hardly the first time, is it? Lots of companies fall foul of the same kind of nonsense.

I suggest we all reserve judgement until we can arrange first hand experience of this product.

H

--------------------

neutralaudio

#1037721 - 12/03/13 10:29 AM
X-DREi Pro has just been shipped should arrive 18th of this month...pleae advisewhen arrives and test in live situation, too...

here is audio file with graphic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDkJelON1P0

neutralaudio

#1046410 - 03/05/13 08:59 AM
hello again,
any news of the trails??
more and more people know of us and have tried the same model in London, with great results

SOS Technical Editor

#1054293 - 26/06/13 11:30 AM
A quick update -- I have reviewed the X-Drei and it should be appearing in an issue shortly.

The box does some interesting things and I can see that it could be beneficial in some applications -- mainly those involving inaccurate loudspeakers -- so big PA systems and some flavours of hi-fi, for example.

Having delved into the thing at first hand, and run a wide variety of tests on it, the secret processing that is most apparent and which probably brings the greatest benefits is essentially a phase rotator -- that's what 'makes the signals more sinusoidal' and speaker-friendly. It also effectively introduces additional gain/headroom by making asymmetrical waveforms much more symmetrical...

There is also some equalisation/phase correction stuff going on in the 'soundstage processing', and there is the de-intermodulation modelling, of course. So the X-Drei is not snake oil, and it does serve a useful purpose in some applicaitons, but the pseudo-science and faux secrecy don't do the company any favours -- at least not for the more technically-savvy pro-market. The hi-fi fraternity probably lap it up... but then they like cable 'floater's and all sorts of weird nonsense!

H

--------------------

neutralaudio

#1058587 - 22/07/13 10:23 AM
Many thanks for your review Hugh!!...
..we really appriciate it from down here in Southern Spain!
Thank you

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 12905

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media