Main Forums >> News
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
NakulSood

Feedback for new Ambisonics microphone and recording system
      #1068211 - 30/09/13 11:00 AM
Dear All,

I am reaching out to professionals in the field of sound recording. We are launching a campaign for a new microphone on Kickstarter in mid-October and wanted to share this with our core audience.

In a nutshell, the Microphone Features are -
-One Single Microphone that Creates Multiple Microphone Patterns
-3 Dimensional Directional Audio Control with Height without moving the microphone
-Genuine Surround Sound from Stereo to 5.1 Dolby to 32 Channel Surround

Our newest product is called the Brahma which is a calibrated ambisonic or sound field microphone. We are making 3 versions that include a 4 channel recorder in the package. In case you haven't already heard about ambisonics, I'll list the basic advantages. It is a single point recording device, which lets you generate virtually any microphone pattern in the world. It allows you to turn your audio in any direction on any axis, without touching the microphone, as well as create multiple forms of audio images from mono, stereo, to genuine surround with height. Our version is simple to use, easy to set up, and the least expensive solution for ambisonics ever made. It’s kind of been the Holy Grail of Microphones for us and we've tried to make it affordable and easy to use for everyone.

We've priced the mic at - $600 for a calibrated stand alone Brahma (can be used with any 4 channel recorder), $900 for a calibrated Brahma built into a 4 channel Zoom recorder (for portability and speed of use), and $1400 for a stand alone Brahma with a separate modified Zoom 4 Channel recorder and accessories.

We'd like your thoughts on a few points -
1. What is your immediate response to the idea?
2. Is the price point at levels you are comfortable with as a professional in the audio recording industry?
3. Considering the quality of the microphone is top-notch, would this be a microphone you would buy or endorse to audio recording professionals and recording enthusiasts?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read through this! Your feedback would be gratefully appreciated! The Kickstarter campaign, to be launched mid-October aims to generate funds to calibrate this microphone and generate scale for bulk production.

Our company is Embrace Cinema Gear http://www.embracecinemagear.com, and we create and manufacture film equipment.

Nakul Sood

Image Craft Without Compromise - Devices for Filmmaking
http://www.embracecinemagear.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
jm.duchenne

Re: Feedback for new Ambisonics microphone and recording system new [Re: NakulSood]
      #1068333 - 01/10/13 06:40 AM
Hello,

I intended a few years ago to buy your first Brahama with the Zoom H2, but the Indian page has disappeared, so I am very happy to see that you will manage to do it again, and certainly even better

Personnally, I think that I will buy the standalone version to use with my new H6.
Of course, I find the bundle with the Zoom recorder very attractive too, and perhaps the most interesting thing to make ambisonics recordings popular.
It will also depend on what will be the modified zoom with accessories...
If the quality of the capsules and the calibration is "top-notch" as you say, I suppose that the prices are certainly raisonnable compared to what already exists.

Anyway, I am now waiting for the Kickstarter campaign to begin !

When do you intend to make them available ?

--------------------
http://multiphonie.free.fr
http://acousmodules.free.fr

jon honeyball

Re: Feedback for new Ambisonics microphone and recording system new [Re: NakulSood]
      #1068337 - 01/10/13 06:58 AM
I'm not clear why anyone would want this, given there are industry standard products out there like the Soundfield family (and other, cheaper options) which have long track records.

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Feedback for new Ambisonics microphone and recording system new [Re: jon honeyball]
      #1068371 - 01/10/13 10:35 AM
If achieved, $600 is cheaper than any other equivalent system currently on the market ... as far as I am aware.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

jm.duchenne

Re: Feedback for new Ambisonics microphone and recording system new [Re: jon honeyball]
      #1068378 - 01/10/13 11:03 AM
Quote jon honeyball:

I'm not clear why anyone would want this, given there are industry standard products out there like the Soundfield family (and other, cheaper options) which have long track records.

"Industry standards", possibly, but if Schoeps microphones are also, perhaps, "Industry standards", happily people who cannot afford them have also a wide choice of very good other microphones.
With ambisonic able microphones, soundfields are very expensive, and even tetramics represent an important amount of money, which prevents a lot of people, like me, to have the regular use of ambisonic field recordings.
The H2 format, if it can record good ambisonic signal, also opens a possibility of fast recording everywhere that is far from being possible with Soundfields mics.

"Professionnals" will certainly continue to buy Soundfields, but, thanks Brahama !, musicians and other acousmats will have eventually access to this technology

--------------------
http://multiphonie.free.fr
http://acousmodules.free.fr

Studio Support Gnome
Not so Miserable Git

Loc: UK *but works all over the pl...
Re: Feedback for new Ambisonics microphone and recording system new [Re: jm.duchenne]
      #1068402 - 01/10/13 12:31 PM
cough cough

Core sound Tetra mic…. quality Ambisonics on a budget.

--------------------
Don't get the hump when i tell you it's going to be expensive, it's not my fault , you picked the site/building/room â

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Feedback for new Ambisonics microphone and recording system new [Re: Studio Support Gnome]
      #1068408 - 01/10/13 12:41 PM
Quote Studio Support Gnome:

cough cough

Core sound Tetra mic…. quality Ambisonics on a budget.

I think the Tetra MIc costs $999 though, so higher than the projected cost of the OP's proposal.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

NakulSood

#1068470 - 01/10/13 07:43 PM
Hi JM and All,

It's very heartening to see your responses. This has been a labour of love for Umashankar and me. We make these mics together. And after all these years we've finally managed the levels of quality we were aspiring to. I can confidently say that this will be the most affordable ambisonics microphone and recorder, and perhaps even the best. We shall surpass Soundfield's quality is what i expect in abt a year. Umashankar is well known on the Sursound and Micbuilders groups, and some of the finest minds and most experienced ambisonics experts are helping us with the calibration of these mics. We've also been able to use 3d printing to further reduce the gap between the capsules.

Also we're both guys who are trying to open the world up so that there isn't this separation between professionals based on who has how many resources. Ambisonics has been a closed world of sorts as the recording options were either too expensive or too difficult to manage with poor quality. Both the established names in ambisonics have sat on their respective ideas and technologies for years there has been no improvement and no reductuon in prices to make them more affordable. I think we've solved these issues. What we can give is a simple system that can be pulled out of a bag and in under 15 seconds you can be recording. Also once recorded you can convert the A format files to B format in a matter of seconds and start working to output your files in whichever way you'd like. From changing microphone patterns to directionality with height, to multiple forms of stereo or surround sound. You can also zoom in a direction so it will sound as if the mic was half the distance from the source of sound.

It takes a lot of accidents in the world to come together for things to happen some times, The Brahma is purely a result of it's times. We could not have made this system usable and affordable if technology and cooperation between people had not existed. Firstly the Zoom coming out with an inexpensive 4 channel recorder is what let us experiment with this in the first place. Before that the only way to record was to carry a 4 channel A to D converter and a Laptop. Secondly the openness and sharing of ideas that took place on the sursound and ambisonics platforms that Umashankar was engaging in. And lastly him and I working together, as he is a sound professional and i was entering manufacturing of equipment for cinema, having been a cameraperson for some years.

Also we're not planning on using this as a shake down, where after you buy a mic we make a small packet on selling you accessories, we're planning on providing complete recording solutions with the accessories at these 3 brackets. If anyone can provide a higher quality, more cheaper version than us, more power to them. It's sometimes discourteous of people to knock things because they are cheaper. I've had people laugh initially when I told them we were making microphones, the building of mics has been shrouded in some degree of mysticism like it were the preserve of a select few German or Japanese scientists. Well now there will be mics from India and if they are good they will sell, if they aren't they wont. We've made a bunch of microphones that I'm proud of that we'll be releasing over the next few months. We hope that their affordability and quality will shake things up a little.

You can sign up to our newsletter with information on the Brahma getting on Kickstarter here

http://brahma.launchrock.co/

We're hoping to be on Kickstarter by mid-October and we shall be delivering Mics by mid-January.

My best wishes to all of you, will be in touch,
Nakul

NakulSood

#1069681 - 10/10/13 12:11 PM
Dear all,

We have some product shots of the Brahma and have a teaser video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnobHE0gUss.

If you would like to know when the Kickstarter campaign goes live, please sign up at http://brahma.launchrock.co

Best,
Nakul
nakul at embracevideo.com

NakulSood

#1071676 - 24/10/13 01:53 PM
Dear All,

Our Kickstarter campaign for the Brahma microphone is live! You can now get your own Ambisonics microphone at

http://kck.st/1gIhb3W.

There are some other great rewards as well - folk music recordings from India and a great single direction location microphone, the Plate Array Microphone. Thanks for your support and please share with your friends and colleagues.

We'll be happy to answer any queries you might have.

Thanks!
Nakul

NakulSood

#1076891 - 30/11/13 10:42 AM
Hi All,

Our Kickstarter campaign is ending in about a day and this will be the last chance to order the Brahma via Kickstarter. We have also made an instructional video showing how easy it is to set up, record and process using the Brahma.

http://youtu.be/l9NqvXA2Hww

Check it out and let us know if you have any questions. If you would like to back us and purchase a Brahma check out the Kickstarter page http://kck.st/1gIhb3W.

Best wishes,
Nakul

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3300

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media