Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Pitchfork

Loc: London
Talk to me about OGG Vorbis?
      #1000790 - 31/07/12 09:51 AM
In my quest to have the same files open on my PC Windows XP for editing, and sitting in Sound Forge and also open in Reaper on a Mac OS X, I decided to try this format as it *seems* the only one so far (WAV and AIFF play funny) that allows a single file to be open on two different platforms?

I record and edit in SF and place the same file (whilst still open on the PC) into the arrangement in the Mac for sequencing..

So far so good, but I know nothing about OGG Vorbis - is it like MP3? is it as good quality as WAV or AIFF?

I get 4 options when saving :

96Kbps
128Kbps
350Kbps
VBR Quality 4

Would the last one be up to wav standard? and I suppose I could convert or re-save my last mixdown as wav when i know its the master and doesn't need any file sharing

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
Re: Talk to me about OGG Vorbis? new [Re: Pitchfork]
      #1000791 - 31/07/12 10:03 AM
What problems are you experiencing with WAV and AIFF? These formats are the standard ones used to exchange files between operating systems, though I have encountered people who have had some issues with AIFF on a PC.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

Pitchfork

Re: Talk to me about OGG Vorbis? new [Re: Richie Royale]
      #1000793 - 31/07/12 10:09 AM
WAV and AIFF are fine, but I'm talking about using the same file open at the same time on a PC and Mac..

This is where it gets funny, and I still havent found a workaround for this - I would prefer to edit and leave open my files in SF with my PC plug ins, but sequence the files on a Mac in Reaper as a DAW.

This way I would just use a PC for SoundForge and as an editing machine, and Mac as my sequencer.. I was told that there could be a workaround to use an Ext Editor in Reaper but via an Ethernet Cable (so files would open on a seperate machine!) but have no idea if that would work..?

I would love to use WAV or AIFF as they are the standard but they hate being open in 2 places at once.!

EDIT - Ogg now hates it too

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #1000794 - 31/07/12 10:19 AM
Ok. I'm not sure any file would be happy being open in two places at once, but I am far from experienced or knowledgable about these things. It seems SF is coming to the Mac soon, so perhaps you might be able to resolve this problem soon.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

Exalted Wombat

#1000795 - 31/07/12 10:21 AM
It's a lossy format, therefore not even to be considered for a work-in-progress. It's a possibility as a distribution medium if small file-size is more important than ultimate quality, but it suffers from being non-standard - a lot of people won't have the required software to play it. And, despite the opinion of some vociferous disciples, it isn't really any better than the more common lossy compression systems.

I'm unclear exactly what you're trying to do. But the fact that two programs can access the same file simultaneously suggests to me that they're NOT actually working on the same file - they've both decompressed the same OGG file into their working format, and are working on that temporary copy. And continual re-compression gives cumulative quality loss.

Your last sentence "I suppose I could convert or re-save my last mixdown as wav when i know its the master and doesn't need any file sharing" makes me wonder if you retain some lingering hope that quality thrown away by lossy compression can ever be regained? It can't.

Pitchfork

Re: Talk to me about OGG Vorbis? new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1000802 - 31/07/12 10:39 AM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

It's a lossy format, therefore not even to be considered for a work-in-progress. It's a possibility as a distribution medium if small file-size is more important than ultimate quality, but it suffers from being non-standard - a lot of people won't have the required software to play it. And, despite the opinion of some vociferous disciples, it isn't really any better than the more common lossy compression systems.

I'm unclear exactly what you're trying to do. But the fact that two programs can access the same file simultaneously suggests to me that they're NOT actually working on the same file - they've both decompressed the same OGG file into their working format, and are working on that temporary copy. And continual re-compression gives cumulative quality loss.

Your last sentence "I suppose I could convert or re-save my last mixdown as wav when i know its the master and doesn't need any file sharing" makes me wonder if you retain some lingering hope that quality thrown away by lossy compression can ever be regained? It can't.

Yes I think OGG is out of the question now..

It's just I'd prefer to work with WAV or AIFF as I have done for years, but open and edited in 2 places at once, really screws everything up..

Exalted Wombat

#1000832 - 31/07/12 11:50 AM
Quote Pitchfork:

It's just I'd prefer to work with WAV or AIFF as I have done for years, but open and edited in 2 places at once, really screws everything up..

It's a fairly basic computer principle that if one program is working on a file, another one can't be. The programs that pretend to actually work on local copies and attempt to aggregate the changes when saving. That can work for a database, but isn't really appropriate to an audio file.

Pitchfork

Re: Talk to me about OGG Vorbis? new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1000835 - 31/07/12 11:53 AM
Basically It was taking the idea of a Sequencer that then allows an External editor to work on the same file, and throw it back and forth (like many do) but I wanted to try with seperate computers, each designed for sequencing and the other for editing..

Obviously this is impossible..

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1000838 - 31/07/12 11:55 AM
Quote Pitchfork:

You could do this quite happily if you used the same computer for both programs. I have Adobe Audition set as my external editor in Reaper and it seems very happy to give up control of the file when I tell it that I want to edit the file.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #1000858 - 31/07/12 12:30 PM
Quote Pitchfork:

WAV and AIFF are fine, but I'm talking about using the same file open at the same time on a PC and Mac..

I can't think of any operating system that would be happy with this. Having the same file open in two places simultaneously leaves a whole load of ambiguities and potential disasters when files are being written back.

I think the issue here us your work flow rather than the system itself. There's nothing wrong with using one progam for editing and another for sequencing. Just make sure you close the file is the editor when you're done editing, and vice versa -- which is what happens automatically behind the scenes if you call a separate editing program from within a DAW.

And Ogg is lossy and not a good idea for content creation purposes anyway.

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

chris...

#1001344 - 02/08/12 12:19 PM
As has been said, Ogg Vorbis is a lossy format which is unencumbered by licensing restrictions that apply to MP3.

Quote Pitchfork:

In my quest to have the same files open on my PC Windows XP for editing, and sitting in Sound Forge and also open in Reaper on a Mac OS X, I decided to try this format as it *seems* the only one so far (WAV and AIFF play funny) that allows a single file to be open on two different platforms?

That must be a quirk of some software you're using. There is nothing fundamental about Ogg Vorbis as a format that enables it to be used this way, while WAV/AIFF can't.

Mixedup

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Re: Talk to me about OGG Vorbis? new [Re: chris...]
      #1001377 - 02/08/12 02:19 PM
+1. A database or spreadsheet typically locks any records/fields/cells that are currently being edited by one user, but makes them visible to other users. It's perfectly possible to extend this principle to audio, where only one application is being used to edit the file, and all others are being used to playback. That's why we can all listen to the same track on someone's iTunes account at the same time...

I can't see why you need to work like this. There are plenty of decent audio editors on the Mac now - eg. Audition, Audacity, Wavelab, Spectralayers... And Reaper allows you to use third-party editors in the same way that Cubase VST used to work many years ago — I used to have Cubase and Wavelab working in this way. Or just wait for SoundForge on Mac, which is imminent...

Exalted Wombat

Re: Talk to me about OGG Vorbis? new [Re: chris...]
      #1001394 - 02/08/12 03:04 PM
Quote chris...:

There is nothing fundamental about Ogg Vorbis as a format that enables it to be used this way, while WAV/AIFF can't.

Except that neither application would actually have been working on the ogg vorbis file, but on its own local unpacked version of it.

Pitchfork

Re: Talk to me about OGG Vorbis? new [Re: Mixedup]
      #1001396 - 02/08/12 03:15 PM
Quote Mixedup:

just wait for SoundForge on Mac, which is imminent...

Case closed, I'll wait for this, as I can't work with a PC any longer..

Daniel Davis

Loc: Edinburgh
      #1001422 - 02/08/12 04:20 PM
Just marginally off-topic, but MP3 is a proprietory format and as such not all browsers will embed mp3 codecs in their software for fear of being prosecuted. Ogg Vorbis is not similarly protected.

So for the big two: ie plays MP3s but not oggs and Firefox plays oggs, but not mp3s. So if you are writing a web page in HTML 5 you need to double encode everything once in MP3 for microsofters and once in Ogg Vorbis for everyone else. Stinks really.

--------------------
Daniel Davis
Edinburgh Recording Studio Windmill Sound

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1922

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media