Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Strangy

Loc: Cardiff, UK
Cubase 6 problem: creating and saving projects to a new folder
      #1001643 - 03/08/12 02:58 PM
Hi all, I tried to create a new project in Cubase 6 last night and encountered a problem I’ve not seen before… Just wondering if anyone has experienced it or can shed some light:

Attempted to start a new project / create a new folder but as soon as I clicked new folder Cubase decided to hang, requiring a Task Manager end-task. I restarted my pc and tried again, this time I was able to set the project folder name but when I entered a project name and clicked ok Cubase crashed again.

Looking in Windows Explorer - whilst Cubase had created the folder with the correct project name the contents seems to be a list of my entire C drive > program files! However, all of these folders are empty…

For info I was trying to save both projects to my 'E drive' (a different physical hard drive), I tried Cubase again later and saved in a different hard drive and that still works fine…

Does anyone have any suggestions ? or do I turn a blind eye to my E drive and move on

cheers!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
Re: Cubase 6 problem: creating and saving projects to a new folder new [Re: Strangy]
      #1001650 - 03/08/12 03:52 PM
Any differences in drive technology/connection/format...? If the program consistently crashes when saving to E but works fine with other drives, first thing I'd do would be to run Scandisk on E...

Strangy

Re: Cubase 6 problem: creating and saving projects to a new folder new [Re: BJG145]
      #1001690 - 03/08/12 10:21 PM
Hi BJG145, thanks for the suggestion, both drives are the same format/connection etc, been working flawlessly for 3+ years so I'll try the scandisk utility once i get back home Sunday.

cheers

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Cubase 6 problem: creating and saving projects to a new folder new [Re: Strangy]
      #1001710 - 04/08/12 06:29 AM
You can chase problems like this, or just go back to an earlier drive image backup. Personally I'd head for the latter.

You *do* have drive image backups, don't you?...

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Strangy

#1001885 - 05/08/12 05:45 PM
Just tried scandisk and all drives are fine luckily. Also just tried creating a new project on E and everything work's fine again! strange

to the Elf > I make regular back ups of data but not got image drive back-ups. If you have any recommendations for software that'd be great thanks (win xp).

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1001889 - 05/08/12 06:11 PM
Quote STRANGY:

Just tried scandisk and all drives are fine luckily. Also just tried creating a new project on E and everything work's fine again!

Glad you've got it sorted out - now do an image back up while it's working!!!!

Quote STRANGY:

to the Elf > I make regular back ups of data but not got image drive back-ups.

Hopefully you're going to get away with it this time, but imagine how much time and effort re-building your system drive would be...

Quote STRANGY:

If you have any recommendations for software that'd be great thanks (win xp).

I use Acronis True Image. Some like it, some don't. It's not as simple to use as it used to be, but it does the job. I think there's a freebie by Paragon, but I haven't tried it.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Strangy

#1002124 - 07/08/12 11:10 AM
Cheers Elf, I will create a back up, in fact next payday I'm purchasing some backup software and a new hard drive (it's just so very dull isn't it...)

Just recently my 2 year old external drive failed actually (my back up/storage drive - had a Cyclic Redundancy Check error) so now would be a very wise time to change my backup strategy! I now also need to purchase some retrieval software to fix that drive (it contained my itunes library and word files etc which aren't backed up elsewhere unfortunately...) I'm learning my lesson the hard way

Exalted Wombat

#1002148 - 07/08/12 11:58 AM
Quote STRANGY:

I make regular back ups of data but not got image drive back-ups. If you have any recommendations for software that'd be great thanks (win xp).

For a simple complete image, isn't there something in Windows, even as far back as XP? For incremental backups, including access to individual files, I guess it's Ghost or Acronis. Both can be complicated to use, both work when set up and used properly. People get quite passionate over the choice :-)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
4 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1982

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media