Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
mat6066

Loc: Nottingham
Phase checking my monitoring
      #1018702 - 15/11/12 01:32 PM
Hi,

I've been using Alan Parson's 'Sound Check 2' CD to check my monitoring. On the CD there are some pink noise tests for checking the phase between one's monitors; there is a 'phase check' signal, and then subsequent signals both in and out of phase broken into different frequency bands.

Whilst my monitors phase cancel perfectly when running the 'phase check ' signal and also the signal between 0-200 hz band, I can still hear a (much reduced) sound when running the pink noise tests in the bands ranging from 200 hz up to 15 khz.

Is this something that should concern me?

If it is, what are the solutions please?

Cheers,
Mat

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
Re: Phase checking my monitoring new [Re: mat6066]
      #1018714 - 15/11/12 02:42 PM
At a guess this is comb filtering from reflective sufraces in your room, such as the desk or walls. Do you have any acoustic treatment in the room?

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #1018716 - 15/11/12 03:04 PM
Quote mat6066:

Whilst my monitors phase cancel perfectly when running the 'phase check ' signal and also the signal between 0-200 hz band, I can still hear a (much reduced) sound when running the pink noise tests in the bands ranging from 200 hz up to 15 khz.

The wavelength of sound below 200Hz is very long and slight movements of the head or measurement mic won't make much difference to the relative ephasing of the signals, and so won't affect the depth of cancellation significantly.

At higher frequencies the wavelengths are much smaller and small differences in distance can have a big effect.

Clearly, there is still a substantial amount of cancellation going on since what you hear is much reduced.

your results may also be influenced by local HF reflections diluting the effect.

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

mat6066

Loc: Nottingham
      #1019078 - 17/11/12 10:24 PM
Thanks Hugh for the information and to both of you for the tip on HF reflections. I have a got sound treatment in the room but perhaps I could increase the amount of HF absorption - much of my budget has gone on bass trapping.

Cheers,
Mat

DC-Choppah

Loc: MD, USA
      #1019106 - 18/11/12 04:28 AM
This test also stresses your monitors phase matching.

You need identical speakers to phase match over a wide band. Nothing does that perfectly, but you can really tell the difference between the high end monitors vs el-cheapos with the phase match test.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1758

January 2015
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for January 2015
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media