Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Aurongroove

Loc: West Ireland
folk song recording (with audio example)
      #1019873 - 23/11/12 04:41 AM
So thanks to everyone's wonderful advice a few months back on that thread I started, I promised I would eventually do my own recording and try a few things out.

well I've had some spare time and my brother and I sat down and did this, to stir up a few gigs.
http://soundcloud.com/rocksoc/james-joseph-garvey-banks-of

It was at home, with the X/Y Condenser pair on my H4, running into a Wav Editor, With us about a meter from the pair. It has had no processing except normalization (and hard limiting at a very high threshold which probably didn't even reach anything).

I'm beginning to think that really the more you hold your hands up and say "this is what we have, this is what we can do" the less weird your recordings sound, and the less issues show up.

yes it's slightly nosey, but it's not that nosey, yes it's bare, but it's not that bare. it just sounds, grand... and is perfect for a demo. if we started messing around as you fix one imagined problem and possibly over compensate while doing so, more issues would arrise.

the question I would have for you guys is, would you compress this? EQ it? do other things to it? etc. is it one "trick of the trade" or "a quick notch in the mid-high range" away from actually being a lovely listen?
I was happy with our performance mind, but I mean in terms of sound quality.

--------------------
I'm hope I'm alive to see the 70's

Edited by Aurongroove (23/11/12 04:43 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: folk song recording (with audio example) new [Re: Aurongroove]
      #1019882 - 23/11/12 08:47 AM
I'd say accept it for what it is. If you want polish then there are different paths, but if you're happy with this (and it is performed very well indeed) then it represents the performance just fine. Sure, you could begin fiddling with the sound in a DAW, but I don't think you'd achieve much.

The only significant noise I'm hearing is hiss, and that doesn't bother me so much.

It's reminiscent of some of those honest old recordings of American blues guys recorded on their porch!

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Sam Inglis
SOS Features Editor

#1019889 - 23/11/12 09:34 AM
I love it! It's got that Louvin Brothers vibe to a tee. The noise doesn't bother me at all. The room sound is a bit boxy. Maybe a small EQ cut at 200Hz or so would improve that, but it doesn't detract from the performance at all.

Aurongroove

Re: folk song recording (with audio example) new [Re: Sam Inglis]
      #1019991 - 23/11/12 09:14 PM
cool stuff, Thanks for the responses.

--------------------

Madman_Greg

Loc: The back of beyond
Re: folk song recording (with audio example) new [Re: Sam Inglis]
      #1020008 - 24/11/12 12:21 AM
This is a history recording.

--------------------
Madman_Greg

Anonymous
Unregistered

#1020011 - 24/11/12 12:47 AM
Was just listening to Ralph Stanley today!
I found that the higher pitched vocal was getting overpowered by the lower. That can be fixed by the mix, and they could be tighter. It sounds like you are both a bit nervous and aren't letting flow, but a good job. Just had a flashback of Ricky Nelson and Dean Martin in Rio Bravo

Anonymous
Unregistered

#1020012 - 24/11/12 12:48 AM
I found that the higher pitched vocal was getting overpowered by the lower. That can be fixed by the mix, and the vocals could be tighter. It sounds like you are both a bit nervous and aren't letting flow, but a good job. Just had a flashback of Ricky Nelson and Dean Martin in Rio Bravo

ConcertinaChap

Loc: Bradford on Avon
      #1020026 - 24/11/12 08:46 AM
Not a comment on this recording so much as a general comment. Don't be afraid to ditch the guitar on some songs. There's an awful lot you can do with two voices singing in close harmony, and not having a guitar to lean on will make you work on the vocal arrangement. You've got two voices there that work well together so make the most of them.

CC

--------------------
Remember: Tidy wires are happy wires!
Mr Punch's Studio

Aurongroove

Re: folk song recording (with audio example) new [Re: ]
      #1020038 - 24/11/12 10:30 AM
Quote Music Manic:

I found that the higher pitched vocal was getting overpowered by the lower. That can be fixed by the mix, and the vocals could be tighter. It sounds like you are both a bit nervous and aren't letting flow, but a good job. Just had a flashback of Ricky Nelson and Dean Martin in Rio Bravo

there is no mix, it's a stereo pair, recording two voices and a guitar. The "mix" was who faces the mic directly and who aimed off to one side.

for the first few takes (as well as making mistakes) the upper voice was too strong, the blend we got now is a little bit heavy on the lower alright, but to our ears it sounded right at the time!

why is it one tends to over compensate when an issue is found?

--------------------

Anonymous
Unregistered

#1020071 - 24/11/12 03:53 PM
Quote Aurongroove:

why is it one tends to over compensate when an issue is found?

Practice makes perfect.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: ***
Thread views: 1697

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media