Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
RemoHead

Loc: West Midlands, UK
Piano Virtual instrument suggestions?
      #1019934 - 23/11/12 01:32 PM
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a half decent virtual piano instrument for Protools & logic, i'm running a mac pro 2,66 with 8gig of ram & am looking for something that wont cripple the system but still sound realistic. I know logic ships with some included but i've never been overly impressed with them.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Remo

--------------------
Studio Engineer & Session Drummer
www.thedenstudios.com
www.chris-drums.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
PianoPerson

Re: Piano Virtual instrument suggestions? new [Re: RemoHead]
      #1019946 - 23/11/12 02:18 PM
Pianoteq's the way to go, as far as I'm concerned.

oggyb

Loc: Leeds, UK
      #1019967 - 23/11/12 04:33 PM
Depends on whether you need a specific sound or a jack of all trades. 8Dio and Soundiron have a sale on right now and you could get either Emotional Piano or 1928 Grand for cheap. Very classy sounding instruments.

--------------------
Composer;
www.ogonline.org

RemoHead

Loc: West Midlands, UK
      #1019975 - 23/11/12 05:53 PM
all 3 of those pianos are exactly what I need! will have to listen to them for a couple of days and pick one!

thanks for the suggestions guys

--------------------
Studio Engineer & Session Drummer
www.thedenstudios.com
www.chris-drums.com

dickiefunk

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #1020065 - 24/11/12 02:51 PM
I own Addictive Keys, Garritan Steinway Pro, PianoTeq 4, Alicia Keys Piano and True Pianos.

My least favorite of these is True Pianos but as for the others, they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

I am finding Addictive Keys very impressive and am really liking the Studio Grand. It's also pretty lite on cpu etc and comes with a stack of fx and presets.

I also really like Alicia Keys and the Garritan Steinway though I think I prefer Addictive Keys Studio Grand in some cases.

If I were to go and buy a piano vsti at the moment with the current offerings, top of my list would be Imperfect Samples Ebony and Walnut concert grands :-

http://www.imperfectsamples.com/website/samples/index.php

These sound stunning!

--------------------
www.richardpenrose.com

PianoPerson

Re: Piano Virtual instrument suggestions? new [Re: dickiefunk]
      #1020939 - 26/11/12 07:40 PM
I agree that the Imperfect Samples pianos sound very nice. The problem for me is that you need the full version of Kontakt for the Complete and Extreme versions; I can't justify spending that much on a virtual piano.

I also own the Garritan Steinway, which is unfortunately no longer available. It's very good, although I'm not sure it can compete with some of the newest virtual pianos. Transitions between velocity layers aren't always smooth. Sympathetic resonance (i.e. not sustain resonance) on the Garritan is fantastic; far better than Ivory II in this respect.

So far I've found Ivory II to be oddly disappointing. For some reason the sound just doesn't cohere. I also find it a bit thin-sounding compared to Pianoteq 4. And Pianoteq is definitely far more gratifying to play.

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
Re: Piano Virtual instrument suggestions? new [Re: PianoPerson]
      #1020957 - 26/11/12 09:33 PM
Quote PianoPerson:

So far I've found Ivory II to be oddly disappointing. For some reason the sound just doesn't cohere. I also find it a bit thin-sounding compared to Pianoteq 4. And Pianoteq is definitely far more gratifying to play.

Last time I compared these two I preferred Ivory by far, but listening again to the latest Pianoteq demos they do sound pretty good. I still think Ivory is high quality though. It's a pretty subjective judgement in ways.

feline1

Loc: Brighton, UK
      #1021032 - 27/11/12 11:49 AM
Pianoteq for me!

--------------------
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Dave B

Loc: Maidenhead
      #1021052 - 27/11/12 12:58 PM
Modartt are about to get my hard earned cash for Pianoteq 4. I was interested in the original version, but it was a bit 'hyperpiano' and artificial. But that was many moons ago and v4 seems to really be a contender for my purposes. The geek in me loves the fact that it's modelled and is light on resources.

I was very interested in Addictive Keys as I am quite a happy user of their Drums software. I'll have to see how I get on with Pianoteq..

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

PianoPerson

Re: Piano Virtual instrument suggestions? new [Re: Dave B]
      #1021054 - 27/11/12 01:03 PM
Good for you! In my experience Pianoteq sounds best in 'Stereophonic' mode -- so with the microphone modelling switched off. I find that the mic modelling can sound a little weird or synthetic; it's hard to describe. See also Robin Bigwood's useful review in SoS.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3101

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media