Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
uphillbothways

Best value starter plugins bundle?
      #1020117 - 24/11/12 09:23 PM
I often get asked to recommend a DAW, invariably by novices on a budget. I'm increasingly inclined to suggest Reaper, but unlike most of the other big DAWs it doesn't come with much in the way of bundled plugins. Even the cheapest versions of the major DAWs come with loads of toys, and although Reaper has the basics covered, it feels terribly bare if you haven't got a stack of software already.

I've often heard the argument that "Reaper is cheaper than the other DAWs so you can spend the money you've saved on plugins", but what exactly can you get for that money? The obvious option is Komplete Elements, but what would you all suggest?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Best value starter plugins bundle? new [Re: uphillbothways]
      #1020137 - 24/11/12 10:49 PM
TBH for a starter/novice I'd strongly advise them to ignore anything beyond the basic plugs included with their DAW. Beginners can become lost looking for the 'magic plug-in' when their attention is better spent on learning the basics.

That said, if a bundle of relatively sophisticated plug-ins is a genuine early requirement then there are plenty of freebies to try. There are some very good plugs from the likes of Variety of Sound - their NastyDLA, for just one example, is the equal of most costly delay processors I've used.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

oggyb

Loc: Leeds, UK
      #1020158 - 25/11/12 12:58 AM
After pausing to check for the relevance of Elf's wisdom to your situation, head on over to http://antress.blogspot.co.uk/ and help yourself to the Antress plugin bundle.

--------------------
Composer;
www.ogonline.org

uphillbothways

Re: Best value starter plugins bundle? new [Re: The Elf]
      #1020162 - 25/11/12 05:29 AM
Quote The Elf:

TBH for a starter/novice I'd strongly advise them to ignore anything beyond the basic plugs included with their DAW. Beginners can become lost looking for the 'magic plug-in' when their attention is better spent on learning the basics.

That said, if a bundle of relatively sophisticated plug-ins is a genuine early requirement then there are plenty of freebies to try. There are some very good plugs from the likes of Variety of Sound - their NastyDLA, for just one example, is the equal of most costly delay processors I've used.

Thanks for the tip on Variety of Sound. I think you're somewhat missing the point though.

My issue with Reaper's standard plugins is twofold - firstly that the UI is intimidatingly abstract, secondly that all sorts of stuff is absent that is fairly standard. On the first point, Reaper is a bit of a blank canvas, which is brilliant if you know what you're doing but absolutely hopeless if you don't.

Take ReaVerb as an example - fantastically powerful, but if you stick a novice in front of it they flounder because the design is horribly unintuitive. It doesn't open with a default patch and doesn't actually do anything until you've selected an obscure option from a hidden menu - adding an impulse generator. The list of impulse sources is alphabetical, so the one you probably want most of the time ("reverb generator") is in fifth position. The comparison between ReaVerb and, say, Logic's PlatinumVerb is rather stark.

To use the applicable jargon, Reaper's plugins have extremely poor discoverability - if you're not certain of what you're looking for, it's very hard to find it. It's perfectly straightforward if you sit down with The Reaper Book and work through it, but only spods like us actually read the manual. Arguably that's the case for the rest of the interface, but there's inherently a steep learning curve in that respect, the alternative being Propellerheads-style Skeuomorphism and the muddled thinking that tends to result.

The second issue is the stuff that's missing that is standard in a DAW these days - amp and cab simulation, creative effects, a couple of softsynths, a sampler with a decent set of bread-and-butter patches and so on. You could genuinely produce a modern pop album with nothing but Logic Pro, a MIDI keyboard and a vocal mic, which can't be said for Reaper. It's far harder to avoid magical-plugin-chasing if you're told "go and have a rummage on the internet for some freebies" rather than "that box contains everything you need bar the talent". Most of the obvious options for filling those gaps involve either shonky Freeware plugs, severely cut-down evaluation versions or major expense. Say you want to dabble with orchestral arranging - no problem in Cubase or Logic, but what does a Reaper user do? Even the most basic license for an orchestral sample library is close to the cost of a DAW that comes with it's own.

ZukanModerator
Zukan

#1020187 - 25/11/12 11:05 AM
If you discount the 'big boys' with the price tags to match bar any Black this or that sale then you are left with what I think are even better value: the smaller companies that make usable and cheap or free plugins. I could start a list here but it's Sunday and I'm gearing up for a heavy lunch followed by watching Bartha whoop some ass.

Go over to KVR audio and spend a few weeks there and you'll eventually get through all the plugins and their reviews and prices. Great resource site.

As for Reaper and any DAW, the bundled plugins, as the Elf has stated, are good for learning on and some are actually very good. Personally, and this is subjective, I prefer to collate my own list of plugins to use in a DAW.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

SafeandSound Masteri...

Loc: London UK
      #1020205 - 25/11/12 01:15 PM
If you are looking at very good quality software for a low price look no further than Voxengo, this guy has some great plug ins (and some really useful freeware) and for very reasonable prices relative to other developers. Characterful, quirky and sound good.

Cheers
Safe and Sound Mastering

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
3 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2094

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media