Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
kinglouis

EWQLSO & iLok woes
      #1020356 - 26/11/12 12:04 PM
Hi folks,

If anyone has any experience with East West and in particular, had any iLok problems, you may be able to help! I have been running the Platinum Plus Orchestra since 2009 with no problems; I bought Ra last week and installed it with no problems. I am running a new MacBook Pro 2.6 Ghz Intel Core i7, Logic 9.1.8. I keep the sample library on an external hard drive.

On friday morning, I went to load a project I have been working on for a few days and got the following message:

Warning: Play has detected that you do not have a valid license for all installed sections of the orchestra, please verify that the iLok key is plugged in and that you have authorized each section that you have installed. symphonic orchestra Brass 9 Jan 2008 1199924286673.key.

I checked the iLok account, all authorizations are present and correct. I updated the iLok software and restarted, nothing. I even phoned Applecare to check it wasn't a Logic problem, we ran some permissions tests, it still made no difference to the Play message.

What now happens is: I can load new EW instruments into Play and use them. However once I have saved and quit the Logic session, when I go to open it again, I get the license message, and no Play instrument will make a sound in that session. I have experimented only saving individual Play instruments (ie just the EW Strings, or just a Ra instrument) and exactly the same thing happens.

The only thing that I did between Play working fine and it producing that message and not working, is update System Preferences > Menu Meters, which required a restart, and installed the application iMovie HD - a 2008 version of iMovie that I find easier to use. I don't know if this is related but it is the only action I undertook between Play working and not working.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
scw

Loc: Scotland
Re: EWQLSO & iLok woes new [Re: kinglouis]
      #1020877 - 26/11/12 01:45 PM
I'm having trouble getting an authorisation code for QL Spaces. I bought it on Friday as a download in their sale but no code was emailed to me. I'm still waiting for a reply from support. I don't suppose you have heard anything from them? Perhaps they are overwhelmed with orders.

Stewart

kinglouis

#1020882 - 26/11/12 02:01 PM
I've not yet - I emailed them on friday and again today - might try ringing them in Hollywood (!) when its a more suitable time westside...

How frustrating for you. Hope they contact you soon.

scw

#1020898 - 26/11/12 02:57 PM
Good idea. I can't find a contact number for them. If you have a link to it it would be appreciated.

Stewart

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
      #1020908 - 26/11/12 04:02 PM
Have you tried moving the iLok to a different USB port...? Or reinstalling Play? Might be worth a go anyway.

kinglouis

#1020910 - 26/11/12 04:17 PM
I have - tried a few usb ports.

Have uninstalled/reinstalled play and updated it (again!) and updated everything I can on the iLok key. Also reinstalled the EWQLSO software. Even phoned AppleCare to check it wasn't a Logic problem, they couldn't find anything wrong with permissions or the Logic side of things so at least they're in the clear!

The phone number I have is from the Quantum Leap manual from 2009 so it might not work, but for what its worth:

1-323-957-6969

I'll give it a go and see if it works. I've also started pestering their facebook page in a friendly but fix-this-now-please way.

kinglouis

#1020958 - 26/11/12 09:39 PM
I did get an answer to my email before I managed to get them on the phone - worth remembering they're 9 hours behind on the west coast. Turns out it WAS Logic - need to revert to 9.1.7 as there are compatibility issues with Play. Case resolved, boom. Nineteen pints of coffee drunk and carpet worn bare with pacing.

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
      #1020959 - 26/11/12 09:43 PM
Huh, having to downgrade the DAW to suit the plugin is a bit poor.

scw

#1020980 - 27/11/12 12:13 AM

I'm glad you got your issue sorted out.

Likewise I also got an email from support this PM with an authorisation code. I'm up and running now, so thank you EastWest.

Cheers

Stewart

kinglouis

#1021012 - 27/11/12 09:26 AM
Glad yours sorted too... keep the number though, I think it does get through to their support team.

I don't mind going back a step with Logic if it makes Play work properly - you're right, it is a bit crap, but when you consider how utterly appalling Play USED to be, tis a small price to pay!

Oranjotter

#1021908 - 02/12/12 03:45 PM
Thank you so much for this post. I just got my big break - the chance to turn around a comp in 2 days for a show series, and booom! The Strings are suddenly AWOL - and after calling EQ, I got the same answer on the telephone.

What happens when you re-install logic? Does it destroy any of the other plugins that may be resident somewhere in the install?

I hope not. On a rush project, I decided to use the Kontakt strings - just to get by, but they didn't even remotely compare to EW...the string I spent a $$$$ on as I sat for years waiting for the opportunity that finally came.

Terrible Timing! This is frustrating. Hoping it works, but if you had any other additional issues from the re-install, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Jaime

msirt

Re: EWQLSO & iLok woes [restoring Logic 9.1.7] new [Re: kinglouis]
      #1024945 - 18/12/12 06:42 PM
Hello posters on this thread. I too have been dealing with this. It seems the trouble is with iLok software after Apple did something to their latest upgrade that renders the key unworkable for EW users (as well as other DAW's that use "the key").
EW, says they are aware of the problem and are working on a fix - no ETA. The only workaround is to restore Logic 9.1.7.
Well, I'm sure that raised a lot of "huh?"s, as it did with me. But after some sweat and a lot of phone time with Apple techs, whose suggestions were useless, I finally have gleaned two methods for the restoration that seem to be safe.

One method suggested by East West tech was to trash the Logic app and Logic node file, and re-install from the 9.0 DVD's. That may work, but it's a lengthy procedure (in my first call to EW, the techie didn't seem to know what he was talking about - "use the uninstaller", he said. Of course, there is no such thing with Apple software so I asked him to do a little more research. Eventually he got back to me with the above method for restoration, apparently Apple-OK'ed).

But I didn't do it that way.

On Apple's Logic community board, a more elegant and efficient solution has been posted. I have tried this and it works:

Here are the steps:

1. Download the Logic Pro 9.1.6 updater from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1519. (yes, you read that right: 9.1.6)

2. Open the LogicPro 9.1.6Update.dmg and drag the file LogicPro9.1.6Update.pkg to a location on your hard drive.

3. Use Pacifist (shareware: http://pacifist.en.softonic.com/mac - there's a free trial) to expand the LogicPro9.1.6Update.pkg. and access it's parts individually.

4. Locate the Logic Pro.app and Logic Node.app within the package, and drag them to a location on your hard drive.

5. Replace the existing Logic Pro.app and Logic Node.app (v9.1.8) with the v9.1.6 versions of both files specified in step 4 (above).

6. Download the Logic Pro 9.1.7 updater from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1014.

7. Run the 9.1.7 updater to update from 9.1.6.

That's it. It seems to have worked for me. All samples now load and play, happily humming away in 9.1.7.

Here's hoping for a quick "real" fix.

Edited by msirt (18/12/12 06:54 PM)

msirt

Re: EWQLSO & iLok woes [EW Phone Number] new [Re: kinglouis]
      #1024947 - 18/12/12 06:48 PM
Yes, 1-323-957-6969 is still the operating line for EW. But with very limited hours: 12 to 6 PM California time, weekdays only.
I did get through yesterday.

Edited by msirt (18/12/12 06:49 PM)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3289

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media