Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Dionysus

Advice on sound card sought
      #1021126 - 27/11/12 08:25 PM
Hi all,

For the past seven years I have been using my PC to record DJ mixes and then play around with them in Cubase. In terms of sound quality, I was perfectly happy with my sound card (E-MU 1212M) - I didn't need pro standard gear, just something that would do a good job at a reasonable price. Anyway, the E-MU gave up the ghost last year, as did much of the PC, and now I'm looking to get a new sound card.

The aim is the same, except now I don't have Cubase (had a cracked version, and after getting a virus and having my local PC repair shop run their super-powered antivirus-ware, I think that identified the 'key' to Cubase as a virus and removed it). Anyway, I'm now going to give Audacity's SourceForge a shot, seeing as its free. If it's crap then I might buy a legit copy of Cubase (I did love Cubase), but no harm in trying the free stuff first.

So... sound cards. The one thing that really peed me off about the E-MU was that it wasn't straightforward. I don't want to read 100 pages of technical stuff which, frankly, I don't understand just to set up a sound card. I want to open up my PC, put a good-quality, good-value sound card in that will do my mixes justice (bear in mind that the audio may be mp3 or vinyl quality), plug in decks to a mixer, plug in mixer to the sound card, set the software to point to the sound card output and not have to wade through endless settings.

Budget-wise, I'm far from skint, but the reason I'm far from skint is because I know how to avoid overspending. Based on my purposes, I can't imagine spending more than £200, and I bet I could get something perfectly fit for the task at hand for less than that.

Any tips?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Dionysus

Re: Advice on sound card sought new [Re: Dionysus]
      #1021380 - 29/11/12 01:37 PM
Anyone?

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
Re: Advice on sound card sought new [Re: Dionysus]
      #1021395 - 29/11/12 03:48 PM
Quote Dionysus:

The one thing that really peed me off about the E-MU was that it wasn't straightforward.

Hi Dionysus - I doubt the Emu is probably a lot harder or easier than any other similar soundcard really...presumably you're reasonably familiar with it now, it shouldn't require a lot of messing with once it's set up, and if it does everything you need it's still a decent choice.

If you wanted a change, though, M-audio are also usually a safe bet.

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.family&ID=PCIinterfaces

Dionysus

Re: Advice on sound card sought new [Re: BJG145]
      #1021442 - 29/11/12 08:47 PM
Thanks for your response, BGJ145. To be honest, I'm not convinced I was familiar with the E-MU at all. I had a PC built with creating and editing DJ mixes in Cubase in mind, and so the Patch Mix was all set up and I didn't need to worry about it. (It's no doubt evident that I'm not a music-maker so much as someone who fiddles around with sound that has already been made by someone else.) Once I actually had to worry about the settings in Patch Mix I realised that sound cards are not as easy to use as I'd imagined they would be.

Another thing that has stopped me rushing out and buying a 1212M (which was a perfectly decent sound card for my purposes) was the fact that I bought it in 2005. I just presumed that seven years on I could probably get something much better for the same price (or something equally good for much cheaper).

I think, due to my knowledge, this will come down to relying on a brand or taking good recommendations from people. The alternative is to buy a complete set-up from a company specializing in music PCs, but I'm averse to doing that as I already have a really good quiet PC which could be turned into a great music PC if only it had a decent sound card (currently has no sound card) and a bit of a boost in terms of RAM and processing power.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1589

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media