Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Cubase 7 First Impressions
      #1022679 - 06/12/12 10:47 AM
I'm evaluating C7 (I won't be using it in anger for a few weeks yet).

First impressions:

Of the plug-ins I've tried, none seem to be having a problem. I'm running 64 and 32-bit plugs under C7 64-bit and so far, so good. Everything worked straight off without a hitch and C7 picked up all my settings/preferences from C6.5.

Very dark colour scheme. I'm finding it hard to see the EQ on/off button or the EQ selection switch. I think I'll be customising these colours very soon.

I don't much like the new mixer - and I'm liking it less as I use it. It seems as if I have to work harder to find the things I want to see. Maybe familiarity will sort this one out. The channel selection panel is a nice touch, but unless I've missed something I can't just hide/show all the FX or Group channels now? I think that's a backward step.

The scalable mixer... nah. Maybe if you're working on a single screen, or maybe a latop, then this will be a winner. To me it's of no interest.

I'm having to scroll down to see all of the EQ bands in the mixer now - ugh! This is mad! I can size the mixer window, but only the faders re-scale. The EQ/inserts/sends section remains fixed in size, but now gives you a scroll bar to go up/down. Now that is ridiculous!!!

The new saturation is excellent, as are the new dynamics. I think I'll be using the stock processors a lot more from this point.

I'll be doing some parallel work between 6.5 and 7 over the next few weeks, until I'm happy I have something I can trust. More likely I'll be waiting for the first spot release before I implement it in my daily work. I'll post more as I progress.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
OneWorld

Re: Cubase 7 First Impressions new [Re: The Elf]
      #1022692 - 06/12/12 11:24 AM
Very useful that. I am considering a major shift up - from C5 to C7, but one of the things that attracted me about C7 is all the bluster Steinberg makes about the mixer, seems it's not all it's cracked up to be anyway. With the current mixer, even with a second monitor I find myself sliding left and right all the time. I think the audio and midi part should be placed on top of each other not side by side.

If I had a 42" wide monitor set at high res then yes side by side would be fine, but I have 2 24" monitors and they're just not wide enough, but there's a load of free monitor space above or below the mixer doing nothing

jaminem

#1022693 - 06/12/12 11:28 AM
You got any plugs running on an ilok1 Elf?

gazola11

Loc: Cornwall, U.K.
Re: Cubase 7 First Impressions new [Re: jaminem]
      #1022699 - 06/12/12 11:53 AM
I am running an ilok 1 and no problems with any of my plugins so far.

Also using the mixer on an Apple 30" inch Cinema Display works great but that monitor shows a lot of info.

I like it a lot in general. I work with a lot of people in France so will be interesting to try the VST connect system soon as I can.

--------------------
Left Hand, Right Hand, it doesn't matter. I'm Amphibious!

The Elf

Re: Cubase 7 First Impressions new [Re: OneWorld]
      #1022707 - 06/12/12 12:04 PM
Quote OneWorld:

I think the audio and midi part should be placed on top of each other not side by side.

You can achieve that by just using two mixers and placing them one above the other - one set to show audio channels, the other to show MIDI channels.

--------------------

The Elf

Re: Cubase 7 First Impressions new [Re: jaminem]
      #1022708 - 06/12/12 12:05 PM
Quote jaminem:

You got any plugs running on an ilok1 Elf?

No. I refuse to use anything that demands iLok - other than as a necessary evil for Pro Tools.

--------------------

The Elf

#1022711 - 06/12/12 12:09 PM
Quote The Elf:

unless I've missed something I can't just hide/show all the FX or Group channels now?

I was wrong here. You *can* show/hide FX/Group channels in blocks - but not Audio/MIDI channels... which is almost as bad IMO!

The way I've found around this is to create separate Folders for Audio/MIDI channels. I tend to hold muted MIDI channels next to their rendered Audio channel - guess I'll have to change that habit...

--------------------

jaminem

Re: Cubase 7 First Impressions new [Re: gazola11]
      #1022765 - 06/12/12 02:28 PM
Quote gazola11:

I am running an ilok 1 and no problems with any of my plugins so far.

thanks, can you let me know which?
I have Soundtoys, Line6, east west and celemony...

oggyb

Loc: Leeds, UK
      #1022773 - 06/12/12 02:43 PM
Quote The Elf:

Quote The Elf:

unless I've missed something I can't just hide/show all the FX or Group channels now?

I was wrong here. You *can* show/hide FX/Group channels in blocks - but not Audio/MIDI channels... which is almost as bad IMO!

The way I've found around this is to create separate Folders for Audio/MIDI channels. I tend to hold muted MIDI channels next to their rendered Audio channel - guess I'll have to change that habit...

The very first thing I do if I have MIDI channels is hide them in the mixer. That's going to be a real pain.

--------------------
Composer;
www.ogonline.org

gazola11

Re: Cubase 7 First Impressions new [Re: oggyb]
      #1022786 - 06/12/12 03:37 PM
You still can hide any type of channel, including MIDI, in the mixer.

They are in the Channel types box at the top left.

This allows you to turn on and off any type of channel as a whole in the mixer.

--------------------

The Elf

#1022788 - 06/12/12 03:44 PM
Yes, you can hide any individual channel, but my point is that you can't instantly hide *all* MIDI channels, or *all* Audio channels with one button, as you used to be able to. Or am I missing something?

--------------------

gazola11

#1022789 - 06/12/12 03:46 PM
Yes you can.

--------------------

The Elf

#1022792 - 06/12/12 03:48 PM
OK, next time I'm in front of it I'll take a look. I must have overlooked something.

--------------------

gazola11

#1022795 - 06/12/12 03:55 PM
Yeah there is a lot of change and I'm with you that I'm starting to go off the mixer slightly the more I use it.

I like the eq using knobs and the tube and gates are great. Simple but effective.

The only problem I have come across is the menu bar disappears when you put the mixer in full screen mode. But this only happens in Snow Leopard not Lion or ML. Probably because the way lion and ML deal with graphics and probably that Lion is the recommended minimum version according to Steinberg. However it runs fine, as far as I can tell, apart from this oddity just don't put the mixer in full screen mode.

All is fine on ML though.

--------------------

crofter

Loc: Weardale,North Pennines
      #1022800 - 06/12/12 04:21 PM
I've only used Cubase 7 for a couple of hours last night but I like it, I like the scalable mixer and once I found the various options for this I can set it up as I want, it's all looking very nice.

oggyb

#1022811 - 06/12/12 05:21 PM
Quote gazola11:

Yes you can.

Oh good.

Looking forward to more thorough opinions on the new stuff as the months go on. I'm not planning to get this until at least a .0.1 update.

--------------------
Composer;
www.ogonline.org

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #1022827 - 06/12/12 07:10 PM
Quote gazola11:

But this only happens in Snow Leopard

Other than this minor graphic problem how is it working out on SL? This may tempt me if it is working fine.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

gazola11

Re: Cubase 7 First Impressions new [Re: Richie Royale]
      #1022957 - 07/12/12 11:03 AM
Yep all is OK in SL expect the odd graphics glitch. Using the mixer in full screen mode, as I said before, and sometimes switching between screen sets the new screen screen set is just white but only occasionally.

Apart from that the engine is running well. I've got someone in the studio today who has volunteered to be my C7 guinea pig so I will report how it all goes.

--------------------

Matt Houghton
SOS Reviews Editor

#1022959 - 07/12/12 11:12 AM
Quote The Elf:

OK, next time I'm in front of it I'll take a look. I must have overlooked something.

Explore the various menus at the top of the mixer. You'll find that you can show/hide by channel type, show only channels linked to the selected channel etc. It's a very neat system from this point of view IMO.

Also, check out the mixer configuration button at the top left. You can show EQ curves for all tracks at the top of the mixer, and click on them to edit each band's frequency/level in a pop up.

Also look at the 'zoom' function: as well as scaling the mixer, you can zoom in/out channel width via the mouse this way, or using the buttons G and H. Check out what Shift+G/H does too...

Most, though not *quite* all, of my initial frustrations were simply due to things being a bit unfamiliar. On balance, I'm quite liking it so far.

(I'm on Win 7 64 Ultimate, C64, running Jbridge for the various 32-bit plug-ins.)

--------------------
SOS Reviews Editor

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #1022961 - 07/12/12 11:20 AM
Thanks Gazola, sounds promising. I'd rather stick with SL, and C7 does look tempting.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

C.LYDE

Loc: South Africa
      #1022965 - 07/12/12 11:57 AM
My previous approach of 2~3 mixers on a one screen and arrangement in another could be at an end, this new mixer has the potential to change my paradigm all together - I like it.

The G& H zoom commands are a clever, useful addition (as well as the shift G&H for vertical resizing) - very nice.

I've disabled all plugins to give myself time to evaluate the raw potential of the channel strip - I'm particularly liking the FFT + EQ (Voxengo) combination - this is something I've wanted from the day that the tool was introduced to Nuendo - could never understand why something so useful was not included per channel earlier - thanks Steinberg!

Did notice that opening and closing of the modules contained with the strip does have issues. One can expand, but not minimise... bug?

--------------------
C.LYDE
http://soundcloud.com/c-lyde

gazola11

Re: Cubase 7 First Impressions new [Re: Richie Royale]
      #1022970 - 07/12/12 12:13 PM
Ok I think I have found a work around to the missing menu bar when using mixer in full screen mode.

Basically if you're running SL and using spaces I put the Mixer on it's own Spaces page, made it full screen and it seems to behaving fine.

I don't know if this works using a second monitor so others will have to try that one (although I might dig out a 2nd monitor and try later) but I'm guessing it's some kind of re-draw error that once the mixer is opened and overlaps the level of the menu bar, when returning to the arrange page the menu bar is not re-drawn and goes missing. But once the mixer is on another page, or space in my case, then it has no reason to ever lap on top of the main menu bar. Hope that makes sense.

Otherwise my session is going very well. They have even gone to get me lunch and coffee

p.s. This all MAC stuff so I'm sorry can't report on PC usage.

--------------------

Andi

Loc: Berkshire, UK
      #1022988 - 07/12/12 01:30 PM
I've put in a couple of evenings with C7 and everything seems to work fine. I struggled with the mixer too for an hour or so and actually read the manual at one point. It all seems to work but I find that I have to mouse around the screen more than I used to because some of the control groupings have been spread-out (mute/solo and read/write buttons are no longer together in the mixer and the control room mixer channels are more spread-out). It's too early to tell if I really think this is worse than it used to be or if it's just a result of years of familiarity being broken (been on Cubase since SX). This reminds me a bit of the Win8 thing of putting controls in the active corners of screens - it's all very clever but it does require more remembering of where specific things are. A few things also take additional clicks, I don't necessarily want the pre and routing racks on the screen all the time but it takes 3 clicks to add them, one each rack to expand them, then 3 more to remove them - this was 2 clicks total in the older style mixer.

Still only 8 insert slots - I use Slate tape and console plugs so that's a 1/3 of my pre-fader slots used before I start. Oh, and still no mixer undo.

I also don't like the way the EQ spreads-out but you can remove the EQ rack and use Equalizer Curves instead. I did find that I accidentally adjusted some EQs too on a couple of occasions - still not sure how that happened but glad I saved a safety copy of my project before I started to play.

The colour scheme in the project window is pretty poor out-of-the-box because some automation curves are very hard to see against the standard dark-grey background - lighten this and it all works much better but it's the first time I've ever been moved to customise Cubase. Labelling on inserts in the mixer is also a bit of a triumph of artistry over clarity.

Love the new channel window with the ability to jump to feeds and destinations.

Jury's out on the channel strip because I tend to use 3rd party plugs but I tried a few test tracks and it seems to be very usable, even if the knobs are a bit small.

Overall I'm a cautious supporter, but I do think that some of the workflow changes are a little inelegant.

--------------------
Andi, www.thedustbowlaudio.com Mixing, Mastering, Audio Editing (and articles) at The Dustbowl Audio

gazola11

Re: Cubase 7 First Impressions new [Re: Andi]
      #1023001 - 07/12/12 02:17 PM
Quote Andi:

Oh, and still no mixer undo.

Yes you are right this was one of the things I was really hoping for. What's the point of a Mix "Console" thingy but it has no undo.

However mixer zones are great, could do with a the ability to add more zones but very handy.

And speaking from a purely selfish point of view now being able to use the mixer across the whole area of my 30inch display is bliss.

--------------------

The Elf

Re: Cubase 7 First Impressions new [Re: Matt Houghton]
      #1023011 - 07/12/12 02:47 PM
Yep, I've found the channel type filter at the top now. It makes no sense to me that they aren't with the other filters in the window on the left. Hmmm... Well, at least they're there.

The zoom is pathetic. It really doesn't help much at all - the difference is minimal! I'm still having to do too much scrolling in the top part of the mixer window, which is is really going to slow me down. I may avoid using the Cubase channel EQ now. The dark buttons on a dark background don't help much either. You've really got to know where the EQ type button is now - it's invisible!

I'm impressed with many others of the new/improved features though. VariAudio is even better now - bliss! The chord track will be very useful when thrashing out arrangements with some of my artists. Often I'm rustling up chord patterns on the fly to map a song out and it's now great to see them labelled and mapped out.

It's good to see Control Room being made more accessible. I'm amazed how many people don't even know it exists, yet it is very useful. For me it is switched on permanently.

I've thrown a lot of complex projects at it and so far all is well - no crashes, no nasty messages and nothing unexpected.

--------------------

The Elf

#1023012 - 07/12/12 02:50 PM
Quote:

And speaking from a purely selfish point of view now being able to use the mixer across the whole area of my 30inch display is bliss.

I always done the same across a pair of 26 inch displays, but I didn't need a zoom for it!

--------------------

Andi

#1023019 - 07/12/12 03:05 PM
Quote The Elf:

Yep, I've found the channel type filter at the top now. It makes no sense to me that they aren't with the other filters in the window on the left. Hmmm... Well, at least they're there.

Exactly - the functionality is all there, but you have to remember far more specific bits of information in contrast to just knowing that if you look at the left edge of the screen you can control what you see.

I'm hoping I missed the point with the mixer zoom and that there's an option that I just haven;t found yet to make all the channels fit the window at whatever width is needed.

--------------------
Andi, www.thedustbowlaudio.com Mixing, Mastering, Audio Editing (and articles) at The Dustbowl Audio

gazola11

#1023020 - 07/12/12 03:08 PM
Yeah sorry i meant that mixer takes up the whole page rather than a band across the middle with space at the top or bottom.

And I agree that looking up a channel from the fader to the top, you lose your way by the time your eye gets to the top of the channel as the highlight line disappears with the darkness. I am looking in the preferences to see if that channel highlight can be brightened but can't find it yet.

--------------------

gazola11

#1023021 - 07/12/12 03:10 PM
I am also looking for the function that gets these two Magpies off my studio roof!! It's like river dance up there....C'mon Steinberg where is the Undo Magpie function...arghhh!

--------------------

gazola11

#1023023 - 07/12/12 03:14 PM
Hmmm this is interesting.....

I've opened a C7 project in 6.5 so if you really are struggling and you need to bail out of C7 because the client has run out of patients with your constant head scratching and clicking whilst mumbling "that used to be here I know it did!" Then you can revert back to C6.5 and carry on as if you know what you are doing.

--------------------

Mixedup

Loc: Cambridge, UK
      #1023054 - 07/12/12 05:00 PM
Quote The Elf:

Yep, I've found the channel type filter at the top now. It makes no sense to me that they aren't with the other filters in the window on the left.

Personally, I find that better. There just isn't room to put all those commonly used show/hide features in the same place as the individual channel show/hide controls. I'd be in perma-scroll mode!

Quote:

The zoom is pathetic. It really doesn't help much at all - the difference is minimal! I'm still having to do too much scrolling in the top part of the mixer window, which is is really going to slow me down. I may avoid using the Cubase channel EQ now.

Bit harsh. "You can please some of the people some of the time..." and all that! I've always veered away from using Cubase's channel EQ before, as it was in a fixed position. You can now move its position in the chain, which makes me more likely to use it now, as does the EQ curve overview. But I don't like that you can't drag it between two insert slots. Funny decision, that one, to keep the 'Strip' and the 'Inserts' separate.

Quote:

The dark buttons on a dark background don't help much either. You've really got to know where the EQ type button is now - it's invisible!

You can make buttons brighter.

Quote:

It's good to see Control Room being made more accessible. I'm amazed how many people don't even know it exists, yet it is very useful. For me it is switched on permanently.

And for me, it's permanently switched off. I am in a contrary mood today, aren't I?! Seriously, though, the loudness meter that you can load in the same place strikes me as a really useful addition.

The Elf

Re: Cubase 7 First Impressions new [Re: Mixedup]
      #1023090 - 07/12/12 08:43 PM
Quote Mixedup:

Quote The Elf:

The zoom is pathetic. It really doesn't help much at all - the difference is minimal! I'm still having to do too much scrolling in the top part of the mixer window, which is is really going to slow me down. I may avoid using the Cubase channel EQ now.

Bit harsh.

There are only two rack height settings in the Zoom=>Rack Height menu, neither of which let me show an entire EQ strip. The difference between the two zoom heights is incredibly small - a couple of millimeters at most? I'll be looking to see if the heights are definable somewhere.

Quote Mixedup:

The Elf Quote:

The dark buttons on a dark background don't help much either. You've really got to know where the EQ type button is now - it's invisible!

You can make buttons brighter.

True, but the EQ type button remains invisible until you hover over it. Odd.

Quote Mixedup:

Quote The Elf:

And for me, it's permanently switched off.

Strewth! I don't know how I'd manage without it. The guitarist, bassist, drummer, keysman, manager, producer, significant others... all want their own mixes; some want the click, others don't, and the drummer wants the click to make his headphone drivers meet between his eyeballs. Before Control Room this was all so complex! Switching between 3 pairs of monitors and a mono grot-box was also a bit fiddly too. Since Control Room arrived all of the above became a doddle.

But to each their own - I'm glad we all have different opinions here. If it shows anything it's that Steinberg are pleasing as many folk as they are displeasing. And that's progress!

--------------------

Andi

#1023093 - 07/12/12 09:17 PM
Each time I'm coing back to C7 I'm liking it more as it becomes more familiar.

So far as Control Room goes, I'd swap DAWs for it - it's brilliant and totally embedded in my workflow - one of Steinie's best moments IMHO.

A.

--------------------

oggyb

#1023103 - 07/12/12 10:56 PM
Interesting OT anecdote about Control Room. I often have to use a Focusrite 10I/O for tracking at a friend's studio. The bundled control software is a dog's dinner, so we can't run it.

Anyway, the effect is that everything is simply routed everywhere, including direct monitoring, and Control Room doesn't seem to function. Being a person, like Elf, who relies and thrives on that flexibility, it makes for some very frustrating sessions.

Steiny's greatest moment, turned to rubble by dodgy drivers.

--------------------
Composer;
www.ogonline.org

alexis

Loc: San Antonio, TX USA
      #1023113 - 08/12/12 12:08 AM
Can anyone speak to the new VariAudio? Two questions come to mind:

1) How does the harmony function work ... just copy/drag up a 3rd or 5th etc.? In Cubase 6.5, the artifacts when doing that were often overpowering - better now?

2)For "non-harmony", old-fashioned single note VariAudio use (i.e, as in C6.5) - does it sound the same, or maybe was the actual algorithm changed/improved?

Thanks -

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

gazola11

Re: Cubase 7 First Impressions new [Re: alexis]
      #1023173 - 08/12/12 02:18 PM
You select an audio region and the under the Audio menu select Generate Harmony Voices. Cubase then makes however many Harmonies you select. Click open audio editor and the edit box will open with your audio file and the parts in blocks (as per Vari-Audio but with the extra blocks for your harmonies).

If you have a Chord tracks selected Cubase will place the samples in the correct place (maybe) for the Chord selected.

In normal Vari-Audio I think the algorithm is better.

--------------------

The Elf

#1023176 - 08/12/12 03:03 PM
Quote gazola11:

In normal Vari-Audio I think the algorithm is better.

Agreed. I'm noticing fewer glitches on first pass, even without my usual process of reducing segment sizes. Much improved all round.

I'm no fan of 'robot harmonies', but I can see me using the auto harmony generator, then getting the vocalist to copy the results.

--------------------

JPH

Loc: Pinner
      #1023245 - 09/12/12 12:25 AM
MMmmmm..... meh.....

Got it yesterday, installed it this aft, no problem. First initial impressions, quite friendly, so far so good.

Had to batch export a bunch of tracks this evening though and for some reason, it kept on tripping over one of the plugins, specifically the Flux Elemental pack and just would absolutely not have it.

Had to go in and delete the plug in and then it finally decided it was going to come up. Started the day on 10.7.4, have now gone to 10.7.5 and in all honesty, find it a teensy bit buggy at the mo and not quite stable enough. Have updated vsts and other instruments where appropriate (EZD, Superior Drummer, etc). but... I dunno.

For new tracks, yeah, I'll do my best to stick with it. But for the old ones that have been built up over the last year with 6.5.... think I'll keep on using that for any jobs that I've got to do with them until we start seeing bugfixes and point releases.

ZukanModerator
Zukan

#1023277 - 09/12/12 11:34 AM
Elf, do a deep one m8 and I'll move this to user reviews so others can benefit from it.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

The Elf

Re: Cubase 7 First Impressions new [Re: Zukan]
      #1023284 - 09/12/12 12:25 PM
No prob Zuke.

I think the views here are heading towards a good balanced review of the product, rather than the simple 'First Impression' I began with.

Yep, I'll add more later. I'm loving some stuff here!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 14129

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media