Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Stroppa

Mix Advice Please.
      #1023102 - 07/12/12 10:55 PM
Hi All

I stopped making music 10 years ago for various reasons, however i have recently restarted my engines. This is the second track i have worked on and am looking for some constructive advice on mix from the good and more experienced people on this board. I am currently working on senn 650s as i'm in a 2m square room with only Spirit Absolute Poo monitors so not practical to monitor on them (bouncing off walls). The vocals provided by a friend and ex bandmate from in the day.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and advise.

https://soundcloud.com/stroppa/sunshine

Stroppa

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Stroppa

Re: Mix Advice Please. new [Re: Stroppa]
      #1023556 - 10/12/12 10:00 PM
Hi All

No comment feels far worse than bad comments. All the experience on this board i'm sure someone could give me some small tips on improving the mix. I have some ideas but sometimes when you do everything yourself you lose objectivity.

Thanks

Stroppa

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1023558 - 10/12/12 10:10 PM
In the interest of you getting a response I'll say that I did listen to your song, but felt it sounded pretty adept, albeit not really to my taste.

IMO there's perhaps a touch too much reverb floating around in there, and some of the vocal pitching is 'challenging' (though not necessarily 'wrong'), but as a whole it sounds pretty good to me.

Nice job!

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Stroppa

Re: Mix Advice Please. new [Re: The Elf]
      #1023560 - 10/12/12 10:40 PM
Hi

Thanks Elf for the reply. Yep this type of stuff aint everyones cup of tea, not really middle of the road and not really in any particular box but it's just for fun eh. As for the reverb I use quite abit as i'm building the track up and kinda get used to it and will take a look at it. The vocal tuning is a difficult one, the style he has always sits on the edge of in/out of tune and I did autotune the vocal but it kind of lost something so i took it off.

Anyway I appreciate you taking the time to comment and take it as a massive compliment from someone of your experience that you would think it was "adept" so early into my return.

Thanks

Stroppa

Jack Ruston

#1023561 - 10/12/12 10:48 PM
Yeah I had a listen and I agree...It's not really the sort of thing that I do, so I can't really comment on particular aspects of your production, but it sounds good and it works. I found myself noticing the vocal tuning thing too, but as you say, it's that sort of almost half spoken line where if you go pinning it into place it's going to lose some of that character.

J

--------------------
www.jackruston.com

Stroppa

Re: Mix Advice Please. new [Re: Jack Ruston]
      #1023563 - 10/12/12 11:06 PM
Cheers Jack

Appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment. Looks like I need to persuade him to sing in TUNE.

thanks

Stroppa

Jack Ruston

#1023564 - 10/12/12 11:15 PM
Well, I think it's just a question of finding the bits that aren't distracting. It doesn't have to be bang on. It does have to be vibey. But it shouldn't call attention to itself by being either too off or too in tune if you know what I mean. Dylan and Mick Jagger are the masters of that sort of 'not necessarily in tune, but still sounds right' thing

--------------------
www.jackruston.com

narcoman

#1023568 - 10/12/12 11:42 PM
Had a listen.
Like it actually.

My feeling is, apart from just getting a punchier sounding mix, the track doesn't progress. I love what's there but it needs some arrangement work. Got a slack as fu.ck vibe about it but there is no build, rebuild or movement.

I'd look at the arrangement first. Having said that ; there is a sort of Kasabian meets St Ettiene looseness that works but it also just feels a bit random.... The synth sounds do sound a bit underwhelming so they could do with work - again could be done on a mix by someone who felt the vibe (I could - i get it).

So - the start of something cool but whether or not it's "right" depends on how much you wanna defend the arrangement. It could be a Happy Mondays thing, or a Flowered Up thing... it could be a baggy revival. Just depends.

Stroppa

Re: Mix Advice Please. new [Re: Jack Ruston]
      #1023569 - 10/12/12 11:42 PM
I'm with you on that groove and vibe over exact tuning. Maybe I just needeed to get a couple of better takes, he is the kind of writer that just does his thing and is not particular about tuning if it's getting across the feeling, and I have to respect that (unless it's outrageous)

narcoman

#1023570 - 10/12/12 11:44 PM
Go listen to Flowered Up - its that sort of vocal. Nothing wrong with it at all as long as thats its intent. Of course - the general populous might not :"get it" but then again the "next big thing:" is last years "what the fu.ck is that?".

Stroppa

Re: Mix Advice Please. new [Re: narcoman]
      #1023573 - 11/12/12 12:15 AM
Aye narcoman
Listened to Flowered Up takes you back .. Shoot away put it up for advise and opinions so give it to me on arrangement, and take it somewhere new.
thanks

sambrox

Loc: Denmark
      #1023625 - 11/12/12 09:56 AM
I listened but didn't really know what to reply, as it's not in a genre I know a great deal about. Sounds pretty good to me, though. The only comment I have is regarding the vocals. The tuning didn't bother me as such (I quite like his style, actually), more the timing. He's quite a bit ahead of the beat in places, which is fine to a certain degree, but I found it a touch too much on occasion and it seemed to mess with the whole laid back looseness, which jolted me out of my memory lane visit to the Haçienda.

Cheers,
Sam

--------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sambrox
seedy.dk

Stroppa

Re: Mix Advice Please. new [Re: sambrox]
      #1023667 - 11/12/12 12:35 PM
Well thanks for taking the time now Sam. I'm at work at the minute so can't listen but I will take a closer look at the timing tonight if I get an hour. I think it's the same as the reverb that Elf mentioned I get used to it over the course of the song process and even move things around to fit in with the loose Vocal style. Thanks for the comments and will be taking them all into consideration when time allows.

Thanks

Stroppa

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2735

January 2015
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for January 2015
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media