Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1

Loc: London
Correcting 'nasaly' vocals?
      #1023376 - 09/12/12 11:37 PM
I'm normally a backing vocalist but have started recording lead vocals on my own acoustic songs. I've used a Rode NTKv1, AT4040, SM58, and SM57, on the guitar, and the NTK, 4040, and SM58 on vocals into my RME FF400 and then into Cubase 6.5. The acoustic guitar recording sounds fine but my vocals sound very 'nasally' so I'm assuming I've got a bit more mid-range in my vocal range than I'd like.
I've been trying to take out some of the mids using Cubases own EQ and also NI's Passive EQ but not too good at identifying what I should be cutting or boosting so would appreciate any help in what I should do.
Thanks in advance

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Dynamic Mike

Re: Correcting 'nasaly' vocals? new [Re: 6120]
      #1023380 - 10/12/12 12:27 AM
Are you compressing the vocal? I get a similar effect which is exagerated whenever I compress my voice. I've tried blaming the mics, the room, the positioning, my diet, the time of day etc. but had to admit it's just how I sound. However I've recently found that by using multi-band compression & simply excluding a fairly narrow band generally somewhere around 2k it's a huge improvement. Like you I had no joy trying to correct it with EQ, but whilst I haven't eliminated it, it's a massive improvement.

--------------------
Disclaimer: The views or opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the poster by the time you read this.

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1023400 - 10/12/12 09:06 AM
Mic choice can make a big difference to the nasal quality of a voice. Sometimes I want to emphasise this aspect, and I'd head for an SM57/58, or an MD421. At other times I want to play it down and my mic of choice for that is the MD441. Aiming the mic up or down can also have a significant effect.

The room can also play a part. Home-made 'booths' are often culprits for adding an ugly 'honk' to vocals.

Don't overlook vocal technique, though. I can often improve a vocalist's tone by reminding them to sing from the pit of their stomach, rather than from their chest.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Guy Johnson

Loc: North Pembrokeshire
      #1023446 - 10/12/12 12:34 PM
Try keeping the back of the tongue down... part of singing techniques.

Best way to hear yourself is by hearing recordings. As an experiment you could try singing (outside or in a good acoustic) about a foot or two away from a condenser mic to make sure you have the close but blended sound of your voice.

Mixing-wise, a big wide cut at around 350 Hz can help.

--------------------
Oh. It's Christmas.

Exalted Wombat

#1023449 - 10/12/12 12:45 PM
Quote 6120:

I'm normally a backing vocalist but have started recording lead vocals on my own acoustic songs. I've used a Rode NTKv1, AT4040, SM58, and SM57, on the guitar, and the NTK, 4040, and SM58 on vocals into my RME FF400 and then into Cubase 6.5. The acoustic guitar recording sounds fine but my vocals sound very 'nasally' so I'm assuming I've got a bit more mid-range in my vocal range than I'd like.
I've been trying to take out some of the mids using Cubases own EQ and also NI's Passive EQ but not too good at identifying what I should be cutting or boosting so would appreciate any help in what I should do.
Thanks in advance

You can do a little with mic choice, a little more with mic positioning. But it's really about singing lessons.

Remember that EVERYONE hates the sound of their own voice! A singer/recordist often over-processes his track, in a hopeless quest to make it sound like someone else. Concentrate on your strengths, and record your voice as it is. Everyone else is listening to the words, the tune and the emotion, not criticising your vocal quality.

Loc: London
      #1023451 - 10/12/12 12:54 PM
Thanks all for your comments.
I must admit it's been very revealing to hear your own voice as the lead vocal and I'm sure a combination of bad mic technique and bad breathing (I couldn't make the notes last consistently and was short of breath on some) probably has more to do with it.
My studio is quite small (about 3m square) and I've got some good bass traps and absorbers on the walls and in the corners so I think I've covered the essentials quite well. My acoustic guitar sounds very good (a really good quality Santa Cruz dread) with the same mics so I'll look at my technique again.
I recently bought the NI Premium Tube series of effects in their half price deal and I'm still learning how to use them as well as exploring the in-built Cubase processors. I'm not too good at using compressors at the moment so will look at cutting some of the ranges in the EQ as you suggest instead.
Thanks again!

RegressiveRock
Just half a pint of cherryade for me

Loc: Buntingford, Herts
Re: Correcting 'nasaly' vocals? new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1023462 - 10/12/12 01:46 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Remember that EVERYONE hates the sound of their own voice! A singer/recordist often over-processes his track, in a hopeless quest to make it sound like someone else. Concentrate on your strengths, and record your voice as it is. Everyone else is listening to the words, the tune and the emotion, not criticising your vocal quality.

Yup. That's pretty much the thick and the thin of it.

Reg

--------------------
Google less; read more!

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
Re: Correcting 'nasaly' vocals? new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1023464 - 10/12/12 01:59 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Everyone else is listening to the words, the tune and the emotion, not criticising your vocal quality.

I'm not sure if that's entirely true - for me, the vocal quality is a crucial aspect of a song's appeal.

RegressiveRock
Just half a pint of cherryade for me

Loc: Buntingford, Herts
Re: Correcting 'nasaly' vocals? new [Re: BJG145]
      #1023468 - 10/12/12 02:06 PM
Quote BJG145:

Quote Exalted Wombat:

Everyone else is listening to the words, the tune and the emotion, not criticising your vocal quality.

I'm not sure if that's entirely true - the vocal quality is an important aspect of a record's appeal.

I think that observation is highly dependent on genre. The point being made is that the artist is often the worst person to making value judgements about vocal quality.

Reg

--------------------
Google less; read more!

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
Re: Correcting 'nasaly' vocals? new [Re: RegressiveRock]
      #1023480 - 10/12/12 03:20 PM
Quote RegressiveRock:

The point being made is that the artist is often the worst person to making value judgements about vocal quality.

That's true enough.

Quote Geoff Emerick:

That was typical John Lennon. Despite the fact that he was one of the greatest rock 'n roll singers of all time, he hated the sound of his own voice and was constantly imploring us to make him sound different. "Can you make it sound nasally? No, I'll sing it nasally - that's it." Anything to disguise his own voice.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2144

January 2015
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for January 2015
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media