Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
stollypop

Loc: Hervey Bay. Australia.
Zoom R16 & Free Cubase Program.
      #1023591 - 11/12/12 05:11 AM
Hello, wonder if anyone can help. I have tried the supplier, music shop and a Techno Boffin for this one and no luck.

So, it's the free Cubase le 6 disc that came with my R16. I have decided to give computers a go, so tried to install the free progaram. It keeps asking for a code no which i don't have (34 number code). Any clues out there please? I've installed the drivers thingy and that's there but keep getting stuck when trying to instal the Cubase program. Thanks.

--------------------
Ahh ha ha, ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
Re: Zoom R16 & Free Cubase Program. new [Re: stollypop]
      #1023594 - 11/12/12 05:52 AM
Never known a 35 digit code and I have had Cubases SE3, le4,le5,ess4 and now have Elements 6*.

Try info@steinberg.de but be prepared for a pretty starchy response, not "people people" ain't Steinberg! (NI are worse. If it ever existed, a sense of humour has been well and truly expunged from that organization! Great products, poor customer service. Contrast ESI and A&H, luverly people)

*If you go on to buy E6 make sure you punt the extra 15quid or so for a dongle otherwise the software will be locked to one computer.
Dave.

stollypop

Re: Zoom R16 & Free Cubase Program. new [Re: ef37a]
      #1023614 - 11/12/12 09:23 AM
Thanks.

I've never known something to be so F**king complicated. I re-loaded and installed Cubase Le 6 (3rd time). I then had to go to Steinberg to register, it wouldn't let me as it wouldn't accept the code from the disc that IT HAD GIVEN ME. So i started again, 12th attempt it let me register, then it sent me another code to enter which i have done. Then i had to log in and check registration shut down, start, then activate. 2 hrs later it says it's done. Where is it? i have no icon on the desktop nor is anything in the programs list. Any ideas out there? Thanks. How did computer recording take off if you have to go through all of this s**t. I may stick to just using the R16 on its own.

--------------------

Mike Stranks

Loc: Oxford, UK
      #1023646 - 11/12/12 11:34 AM
Hi Stollypop

I feel your pain... I went through exactly the same with my Zoom. Well done on the persistence though... I just gave up and transferred the stored files into Audacity - which is a free and basic DAW, but good for learning essentials.

I now use Mixcraft6 which is pretty user-friendly, but comprehensive. I've just mixed an album using it. Of course that would involve extra expenditure, but Mixcraft is not too expensive. I'll say it before others do... Reaper is also very well thought of here and you could load the WAVs ex-Zoom in the same way.

stollypop

Re: Zoom R16 & Free Cubase Program. new [Re: Mike Stranks]
      #1023658 - 11/12/12 12:03 PM
Thanks Mike,

Just downloaded Reaper as a friend from work uses it and knows it quite well. I have a 60 day trial. So, can i just take the card out of the zoom and plug it into the computer slot and Reaper finds it? sorry if this is really basic but i really know sod all about computer recording mixing etc. I also have Audacity. Would that be a better program to learn with?

Edited by stollypop (11/12/12 12:09 PM)

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1023675 - 11/12/12 12:54 PM
Forget Cubase and give Reaper a try. It is free to download and try and very cheap to buy. I've yet to find a Windows computer that it won't run on.

Edit - I see Mike got in there first. Not sure how the card on the R16 works but you can use it as an audio interface so that all the R16 inputs will appear as inputs to Reaper. I wouldn't be surprised to find that it will also work as a card reader so that it just appears as another disk drive to the computer - but I don't know for sure.

Unless Audacity has changed greatly in the last couple of years, I wouldn't bother with it.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Edited by James Perrett (11/12/12 02:06 PM)

ef37a

#1023683 - 11/12/12 01:41 PM
Quote stollypop:

Thanks.

I've never known something to be so F**king complicated. I re-loaded and installed Cubase Le 6 (3rd time). I then had to go to Steinberg to register, it wouldn't let me as it wouldn't accept the code from the disc that IT HAD GIVEN ME. So i started again, 12th attempt it let me register, then it sent me another code to enter which i have done. Then i had to log in and check registration shut down, start, then activate. 2 hrs later it says it's done. Where is it? i have no icon on the desktop nor is anything in the programs list. Any ideas out there? Thanks. How did computer recording take off if you have to go through all of this s**t. I may stick to just using the R16 on its own.

Download the 30 day trial version of LE6 and see if you like it. If so keep plugging at Steinies.
If not download the demo of Samplitude Producer, then Samplitude ProX. That has got you covered until end of Feb 13 and if 8 tracks will do ya, get the free Sam Silver!

Dave.

Mike Stranks

Loc: Oxford, UK
      #1023693 - 11/12/12 02:50 PM
Quote stollypop:

Thanks Mike,

... So, can i just take the card out of the zoom and plug it into the computer slot and Reaper finds it?

Connect your Zoom to the computer using the supplied USB cable.
Then use the menus on the Zoom to select 'Card-Reader' mode.
The computer will then 'see' the Zoom as external drive in the same way as a USB-stick or whatever. Drag and Drop or Cut/Copy and Paste the files into whatever folder you choose in your computer.
Access those files with Reaper or any other DAW and load them track-by-track into relevant channels of the DAW.

(Page 73 of the User Manual refers)

mick.n

Loc: It's grim up north.
      #1023744 - 11/12/12 07:36 PM
Hmmm, this reminds me of when my son installed (IIRC) an"LE" version of cubase bundled with an audio interface he had bought. After a few hours of trying to register it he flung the bloody disc out of the window.

ef37a

Re: Zoom R16 & Free Cubase Program. new [Re: mick.n]
      #1023749 - 11/12/12 08:04 PM
Quote mick.n:

Hmmm, this reminds me of when my son installed (IIRC) an"LE" version of cubase bundled with an audio interface he had bought. After a few hours of trying to register it he flung the bloody disc out of the window.

Aha! But 'tis an ill wind! I bought a s/h Tascam 144mk1 for 60 quid and I would guess the previous encumbant had had much the same problem with the LE4 disc. I must have spent best part of a week buggering about with Steinberg but I eventually got it registered on an Asus two core home build.
Mind you I don't recall any such problems with the install of LE5 that came with my KA6 when I put that on an i3HP W7/64 laptop. Maybe Steinberg just like to piss the yanks and us limeies about!

Dave.

stollypop

#1023803 - 12/12/12 04:53 AM
Many thanks to all.

Extra thanks to you Mike for reading the Zoom manual for me, i should really do that myself, but i like it best when you do it . Thanks again.

And yes my Cubase LE6 disc got very very close to being stamped on last night and Steinberg were gonna get a big letter telling them what a bunch of annoying ***** etc they really are.

--------------------

Richard Graham

Loc: Gateshead, UK
      #1023807 - 12/12/12 07:16 AM
Quote stollypop:

Many thanks to all.

Extra thanks to you Mike for reading the Zoom manual for me, i should really do that myself, but i like it best when you do it . Thanks again.

And yes my Cubase LE6 disc got very very close to being stamped on last night and Steinberg were gonna get a big letter telling them what a bunch of annoying ***** etc they really are.

The point of having complicated licensing on a freebie product is beyond me. Perhaps Steinberg have not cottoned on to the fact that a better alternative is decimating their market share? Reaper all the way, I say!

Here's how to get the recordings off the R16. The recordings are stored as .wavs in folders called prj001, prj002 etc. there will be 8 wavs in the project folder for an 8 track recording. Take the card out of the R16 and put it in a USB card reader if you have one (the R16 is very slow transferring the files, but if you don't have a card reader you can connect the R16 to your pc instead: ok for short recordings but for my 2 hour rehearsal recordings it would take an age without a card reader). Transfer the wavs in the prj folder to the hard drive on your PC. Open a new, blank Reaper project, go to "import media files", browse to where you just put the files, and select all of them and open them in Reaper, selecting the option to import to seperate tracks. That's it. You can then mix, eq, automate and edit the tracks to your hearts content.

--------------------
"if you don't have much soul left and you know it, you still got soul" - Bukowski

stollypop

Re: Zoom R16 & Free Cubase Program. new [Re: Richard Graham]
      #1023815 - 12/12/12 08:04 AM
Quote Richard Graham:

The point of having complicated licensing on a freebie product is beyond me. Perhaps Steinberg have not cottoned on to the fact that a better alternative is decimating their market share? Reaper all the way, I say!

Here's how to get the recordings off the R16. The recordings are stored as .wavs in folders called prj001, prj002 etc. there will be 8 wavs in the project folder for an 8 track recording. Take the card out of the R16 and put it in a USB card reader if you have one (the R16 is very slow transferring the files, but if you don't have a card reader you can connect the R16 to your pc instead: ok for short recordings but for my 2 hour rehearsal recordings it would take an age without a card reader). Transfer the wavs in the prj folder to the hard drive on your PC. Open a new, blank Reaper project, go to "import media files", browse to where you just put the files, and select all of them and open them in Reaper, selecting the option to import to seperate tracks. That's it. You can then mix, eq, automate and edit the tracks to your hearts content.

Thanks Richard you make it sound easy, maybe you should work for steinberg and make loading freebies simple for gonks like me. Does Reaper have a vocal tuning facility built into it?

--------------------

The Red Bladder

Loc: . ...
      #1023823 - 12/12/12 08:58 AM
Quote stollypop:

Does Reaper have a vocal tuning facility built into it?

Yes, it has everything you need and more.

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1023863 - 12/12/12 12:05 PM
Quote stollypop:

Steinberg were gonna get a big letter telling them what a bunch of annoying ***** etc they really are.

I've told Charlie Steinberg this many years ago - and they've totally ignored me and countless others. If they hadn't sewn up the educational market years ago so that every school pupil learns Cubase, they would be out of business.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

OneWorld

Re: Zoom R16 & Free Cubase Program. new [Re: James Perrett]
      #1023881 - 12/12/12 01:13 PM
Quote James Perrett:

Quote stollypop:

Steinberg were gonna get a big letter telling them what a bunch of annoying ***** etc they really are.

I've told Charlie Steinberg this many years ago - and they've totally ignored me and countless others. If they hadn't sewn up the educational market years ago so that every school pupil learns Cubase, they would be out of business.

James.

You make a good point there, same with Microsoft Office, it's in the education gene pool even though there are perfectly good free alternatives like OpenOffice etc

Exalted Wombat

Re: Zoom R16 & Free Cubase Program. new [Re: OneWorld]
      #1023885 - 12/12/12 01:40 PM
Look on the bright side! Getting the bundled Cubase installed may be an obstacle course, but it's nothing compared to trying to use the Zoom for anything other than basic track capture WITHOUT coupling it to a DAW.

I seem to remember the same palarver when a friend bought a Zoom in the mistaken belief that it would be "easier" than a computer DAW. We got it installed eventually. I gloss over the fact that all she REALLY needed was a stereo soundcard with one microphone input :-)

stollypop

Re: Zoom R16 & Free Cubase Program. new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1024051 - 13/12/12 03:28 AM
I originaly bought the R16 for exactly that Wombat, just for 'basic track capture' and i must say for that it is very good. The problem being my young singing friend can only do a couple of hrs a week, so there is lots to do and i usually find things i'm not happy with later on when she's gone. So then we have to go over it again the next week, where as if i could sort these things out we could just move on. This is the main reason i'm looking toward a computer program. I need to sort vocal levels, tuning and effects. Other than that i wanted to keep it simple with just the R16 but i realise now for a half decent demo i gotta get the computer involved.

--------------------

crofter

Loc: Weardale,North Pennines
Re: Zoom R16 & Free Cubase Program. new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1024228 - 14/12/12 07:37 AM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Look on the bright side! Getting the bundled Cubase installed may be an obstacle course, but it's nothing compared to trying to use the Zoom for anything other than basic track capture WITHOUT coupling it to a DAW.

I seem to remember the same palarver when a friend bought a Zoom in the mistaken belief that it would be "easier" than a computer DAW. We got it installed eventually. I gloss over the fact that all she REALLY needed was a stereo soundcard with one microphone input :-)

That's rubbish, I use one with Cubase 7, it works very well, no problem setting it up at all, a very good soundcard and control surface in one, I haven't used it much for stand alone recording but it's a very flexible bit of kit.

Exalted Wombat

Re: Zoom R16 & Free Cubase Program. new [Re: crofter]
      #1024318 - 14/12/12 03:42 PM
Quote crofter:

Quote Exalted Wombat:

That's rubbish, I use one with Cubase 7, it works very well, no problem setting it up at all, a very good soundcard and control surface in one, I haven't used it much for stand alone recording but it's a very flexible bit of kit.

So where's the rubbish? I agree, it's a perfectly good soundcard and control surface if that's what you need. She didn't. She confused "8 channels" with "8 tracks". She was never going to plug in more than one microphone.

stollypop

#1024800 - 18/12/12 01:52 AM
Steinberg have just sent me a survey to fill in . I wonder how many times i'll be able to write 'your company is s**t'.

--------------------

Exalted Wombat

#1024843 - 18/12/12 11:13 AM
Quote stollypop:

Steinberg have just sent me a survey to fill in . I wonder how many times i'll be able to write 'your company is s**t'.

Steinberg are generally ok. You should try dealing with Avid.

ef37a

#1024937 - 18/12/12 05:36 PM
Quote stollypop:

When organizations send out surveys it is often a sign of desperation. Often they include a box where one can offer an opinion on what would improve the company's service. My response is to "stop spending resources on silly surveys and put it toward better staff training and pay".

My exception to this rule is the very rare surveys done by Sound on Sound. They are after all in the business of communication and therefore need some structured way to gain information.
(don't work for the forum tho'. STILL no noob section!)

Dave.

--------------------
#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4992

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media