Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Craig840415

Loc: South Africa, Johannesburg
Plugins & Presets vs Manually Setting Individual Effects
      #1023601 - 11/12/12 07:58 AM
Hey,

I wanted to get some opinions on this. We work with a producer / engineer who has 30 years experience in the industry and she, like a real purist swears by manually setting EQ and effects when mixing, and would probably cut off your hand if she saw you reaching over for a program like EZmix, Isotope or Waves plugins and using the presets... However for me, as a total noob who is more muso than engineer, I really like the idea of having a couple of plugins and coming up with at least a basic recipe of presets etc to set my mixes in the right direction, while I realise every mix is different and requires different things, this would make life alot easier. So this begs the question/s, is it possible to get a pro sounding mix by using just presets on plugins?

--------------------
Craig840415

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Jack Ruston

Re: Plugins & Presets vs Manually Setting Individual Effects new [Re: Craig840415]
      #1023603 - 11/12/12 08:17 AM
Well obviously it is if you had enough presets and time to go through them. But no, not really. Presets are useful for creating your own default settings. Eg say you have an eq which opens with all the bands switched off (like channel strip) or you want a high pass filter on most things so have that activated etc etc. It makes sense when you only use a particular plug in for a certain job. If you find you always set something the same then by all means use a preset. They're obviously useful for effects. But the idea that you can click on 'kick' 'snare' 'male vocal' etc is silly. They're totally dependent on the source, the mic, the distance, any tracking processing etc.

--------------------
www.jackruston.com

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Plugins & Presets vs Manually Setting Individual Effects new [Re: Craig840415]
      #1023604 - 11/12/12 08:37 AM
Presets are fine as a starting point, but with something like a dynamics processor there's really no way a preset is going to suffice without some tweaking to suit the material it is processing, and an understanding of how it works. A 'pro' certainly wouldn't be relying on prests to buid a mix and, unless you are *very* lucky, it is as likely as a lottery win that the presets will suit all the material you throw at them.

Given the small number of controls on such processors it hardly seems worth saving presets anyway - I work from scratch pretty much every time. With something like a delay, reverb, etc., then there's more of an argument for presets.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Bossman

Loc: UK
      #1023623 - 11/12/12 09:54 AM
I often reach for a preset for auditioning reverbs, at least as a starting point. but for EQ/dynamics I always start from scratch.

--------------------
www.Lozjackson.com

sambrox

Loc: Denmark
Re: Plugins & Presets vs Manually Setting Individual Effects new [Re: Bossman]
      #1023627 - 11/12/12 10:05 AM
Quote Bossman:

I often reach for a preset for auditioning reverbs, at least as a starting point. but for EQ/dynamics I always start from scratch.

+1

--------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sambrox
seedy.dk

ZukanModerator
Zukan

#1023633 - 11/12/12 10:31 AM
Prests can be of help especially when using reverb. Most users won't know what a plate is so a preset with plate vocals might help the user a tad and help him/her/it to learn summat.

Personally, I delete all presets from every effects and dynamics I have. I hate them.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #1023662 - 11/12/12 12:30 PM
I never use presets in a set and forget fashion, I always tweak any I have used, but it can be a good starting point, especially on very complicated synths or multi-effects.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

Craig840415

Loc: South Africa, Johannesburg
      #1024056 - 13/12/12 07:26 AM
Thanks for the advise everyone. Much appreciated.

--------------------
Craig840415

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1370

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media