Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
vetsdiggy

Mixer/summing....
      #1026102 - 28/12/12 04:46 PM
Hey all.
I'm used to having a big and old desk, (I had a TS12 soundcraft) and have had other similar boards before that.
However I need to move to a smaller space so I'm downsizing and consolidating my set up.

I ideally wan't a 12-16 chan desk, of decent quality. 8 chan would do though if needs be.
I'm looking at a Trident 8t or a TLA M3, both of which are 8 chanels.
The Trident has far more in the way of routing ect, but I think the build of the TLA looks better?
Any thoughts.... Suggestions? I know they're completely different, but comparable opinions on both would be good!

I preffer some older kit usually, but I can look at newer stuff (Oram, Toft ect, newer TLA ect)
Same kind of range/quality though.

I've never been to enamoured with mackie stuff, or newer Soundcraft. I've had some vintage Soundracs bits, and don't want to head back there.

I'm a bit board of trawling ebay, readers adds, gumtree ect, so if anyone has other suggestions of where to look (dealers of older kit ect) that would be great.
Tony Larkin doesn't have much for me atm, and Funky J only sell stuff more expensive than my house!

Cheers for any suggestions and any help!

Cheers

Steve

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Jack Ruston

Re: Mixer/summing.... new [Re: vetsdiggy]
      #1026109 - 28/12/12 05:25 PM
The Toft ATB is a pretty decent small affordable desk. There are plenty of reviews out there but just be aware that it is IMPOSSIBLE to find a cheaper desk which has no negative comments on Gearslutz. Such an item simply does not exist, so when researching this stuff you need to slightly filter the stuff you read. Yes, of course compromises must be made when building these things to a budget and they're not going to be the same quality as an eight channel desk that costs 20k. But they're equivalent to the Allen and Heath, Soundcraft type bracket. ie...one up from Mackie, not miles away from Audient, but not hand wired in California in a carbon neutral workshop by a guy who only ever eats goji berries.

J

--------------------
www.jackruston.com

narcoman

#1026124 - 28/12/12 06:34 PM
I cant offer much on this one apart from we owned 3 Trident 8T.

Steer well clear - badly built rubbish!!

vetsdiggy

Re: Mixer/summing.... new [Re: narcoman]
      #1026213 - 29/12/12 11:44 AM
Cheers for the info both!

What exactly didn't you like about the Tridents Narcoman?

Ta
Steve

narcoman

#1026230 - 29/12/12 01:18 PM
poorly built. A little noisy for the price. Not very good meter bridge (especially for a £400 accessory - could have built a better one myself). Pots loose, mutes don't mute (they attenuate), poor crosstalk, very low quality faders, very low quality pots, not great workflow design (not an issue but made it hard for people to walk in an use it on edit sessions). Sounded good but in practical situations nearly unusable.

In fact thinking back we bought 6. Sold them all very quickly. Good sound but just overly silly in set up.

vetsdiggy

Re: Mixer/summing.... new [Re: narcoman]
      #1026258 - 29/12/12 05:16 PM
Oh wow....
Doesn't sound great!

Were the the 'Trident' or once they'd been rebranded to 'Oram'?
Or are they exactly the same/
Cheers again!

What would you recomend instead? What did you swap them for?

Steve

narcoman

#1026266 - 29/12/12 06:31 PM
They were Trident when I bought them. The pre's and E did sound good - but the overall thing was a waste of time.

Changed them and converters for Orpheus systems for three cases and various monitor controllers or small desks. Didn't have one in my room though. They were used as monitor systems with some pre's for the composer and edit rooms - but everything has been repurposed in many ways. Not a lot of recording happens here any more - just composing and mixing.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
4 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1402

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media