Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Kevin Nolan

Recommendation for good HiFi headphones?
      #1026389 - 30/12/12 05:51 PM
Hi -

I use some excellent headphones for mixing / monitoring but don't have any headphones for just general HiFi music listening.

Anyone got any recommendations for good, general HiFi headphones that purposely 'flatter' the sound, in and around the £50 - £100 range? I'm looking for good stolid bass but not excessive, clarity in the high end, quite balanced over all - and very comfortable - but NOT monitoring headphone. And I'm only after closed back, full sized headphone. I ask as I haven't a clue what's currently regarded as good in that regard.

I realise this is a production forum - admittedly I am looking to use these headphones for pleasure - but it is also as part of my daily obsessive listening to other people's music for all the reasons that nutty sound people like us find vital to our daily existence!!! :-)

Cheers,
Kevin.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
IAA

Re: Recommendation for good HiFi headphones? new [Re: Kevin Nolan]
      #1026405 - 30/12/12 08:37 PM
Kevin, I use these for tracking and general HiFi (iPod etc). I like them and they're dead comfy.

http://www.production-room.com/krk-speakers/krk-kns-series-8400-headphones/

Kevin Nolan

Re: Recommendation for good HiFi headphones? new [Re: IAA]
      #1026439 - 31/12/12 11:51 AM
Thanks for the pointer IAA. Looking at those, they look like monitoring headphones and I already have very good Sennheiser monitoring headphones. I'm after something less neutral and more flattering and warmer - good, comfortable headphones that add a little bass and are still clear and true.

the issue is I see lots of headphones from the likes of Sennheiser in the £60 regions but they usually say for DJ'ing or with phrases like 'Power Bass'. Most of those concern me as they look to be for dance music only. I'm after a good, all round pair of HiFi headphones but perhaps they are not available any longer?

Thanks,
Kevin.

SafeandSound Masteri...

Loc: London UK
      #1026450 - 31/12/12 01:09 PM
The Beyer DT-770 are hi fi and closed back, although bottom end is a tad overblown as well. A very rich, detailed and crystal clear / wide spacious sound. A professional tool but with the traits you wish for GAK doing for £111.79 at the mo.

In fact they tick every box as your second post says you want a little extra bass. I think you might like them a lot.

SafeandSound Mastering
Visit site

Kevin Nolan

#1026466 - 31/12/12 03:04 PM
Thanks SafeandSound Mastering - appreciate the pointer. Will definitely check them out.

Cheers
Kevin.

Kevin Nolan

#1026719 - 02/01/13 01:23 PM
In this search I'm coming round to getting either the Sennheiser HD595 (open back) or HD598's (closed back).

Might anyone have an experience with either of these? Isolation (in or out) is not an issue so I don't mind open back. Would open back / closed back affect the level of bass delivered by the headphone?

Thanks,
Kevin.

chris...

#1026970 - 04/01/13 02:05 PM
Open back usually sounds better, so I'm not sure why you want closed back, unless you actually need the extra isolation.

ezza

#1026981 - 04/01/13 04:06 PM
If you are thinking about the HD595 then have a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvQ8PzBrHXE

If you are ok with open-backs then I would definitely consider Grado SR60 or SR80. I have the SR60s and they are very nice for <100 quid.

/erol

Tartaruga

#1027058 - 05/01/13 10:34 AM
Hi Kevin!

Have you tried this:
http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/studio-and -stage/headphones-for-live-applications/dt-250.html

There’s a 80ohm version…
You can use them for everything,a true reference,no hype…
Cheers!

Pedro

Tartaruga

#1027059 - 05/01/13 10:36 AM
Or this one…a classic.

http://www.production-room.com/beyerdynamic-microphones/beyer-dynamic-dt-1 00-16/

And you can replace broken parts…

Cheers

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Recommendation for good HiFi headphones? new [Re: Tartaruga]
      #1027075 - 05/01/13 12:37 PM
Quote Tartaruga:

Or this one…a classic.

http://www.production-room.com/beyerdynamic-microphones/beye...

And you can replace broken parts…

Cheers

But don't choose these headphones for their 'hi-fi' audio quality - they sound like baked bean tins.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
Re: Recommendation for good HiFi headphones? new [Re: The Elf]
      #1027077 - 05/01/13 12:50 PM
Quote The Elf:

they sound like baked bean tins

That's very insulting to Heinz.

Tartaruga

#1027213 - 06/01/13 01:59 PM
Hi The Elf

I first tried them in a few big studios.I then manage to buy a pair and used them for years.I even made some mixes that translate to any system perfectly.
Finally,I replaced them by the next generation,the DT 250 which again,suits me perfectly.
I can understand that you don’t like them,but they’re still in use in a lot places,and,in my humble opinion,in lack of something really better,they work perfectly for several tasks.
Maybe you tried some in bad shape…?Don’t know...

Cheers

The Elf

#1027221 - 06/01/13 02:24 PM
I've owned and used (and repaired!) loads and loads of DT100s in my time. I haven't just tried them - I know them very well! I bought them (and so did many studios) because they were cost-effective, and for that they have my eternal thanks, but nowadays there are alternatives.

They are robust, good for isolation, and simple to repair, but they don't sound good. I have several clients who simply refuse to use them on these grounds.

If they work for you that's good, but next chance you get, try them against some modern cans, such as the Sennheiser HD215 (which are gradually replacing all of my DT100s), and I think you'll begin to notice their shortcomings.

--------------------

chris...

#1027266 - 06/01/13 06:13 PM
Quote Tartaruga:

DT 250 which again,suits me perfectly.
I can understand that you don’t like them,but they’re still in use in a lot places

Being in common use for some arbitrary task (presumably providing a crude monitor mix to musicians whilst tracking, to keep them in time / tune) does not in itself make them appropriate for the task at hand (Hi-Fi listening).

chris...

#1027268 - 06/01/13 06:16 PM
Quote The Elf:

They are robust, good for isolation, and simple to repair, but they don't sound good.

You forgot "make the wearer look like he/she is recording the next "Band Aid" single!

( is that a plus or minus?)

The Elf

Re: Recommendation for good HiFi headphones? new [Re: chris...]
      #1027277 - 06/01/13 07:07 PM
Actually they do have a certain 'Nation Health'-ish-ness about them. Makes me think back to kids at school with sticking plaster on the nose of their spectacles!

--------------------

Tartaruga

#1027365 - 07/01/13 10:08 AM
Hi The Elf

I totally agree with you,it’s just that,back in the 80’s/beg.90’s,you didn’t had the same choices that you have today and somehow,travelling from studio to studio,this old cans were something that I get used too and at the end,I use to bring my own.
Sure that,as soon as i could,I bought better ones.But the old ones sure helped me a lot,in a lot of situations,hence,’the classic’ remarque…
Maybe just because I get used to them…in the 80’s…

Cheers.

Kevin Nolan

#1027557 - 08/01/13 11:59 AM
Hi -

Just to let you know I settled on the HD598's. I've bought these untested so it'll be interesting to see if they work out !! I'll let you know.

I have several sets of Sennheiser Studio reference headphones (HD600, 650's and 800s) so I'm probably biased towards Sennheiser. The HD598's are for general listening (and piano practice on a clavinova) - I want to stop using those expensive studio headphones for that sort of thing.

As an aside, in my searches I also came across the Sennheiser HD700's ! This was a surprise - I was not aware of these until now. Has anyone tried or purchased them? Do SOS intend reviewing them? They look VERY exciting.

Thanks for all the insights that pointers.

Kevin.

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #1027582 - 08/01/13 02:24 PM
I presume we will review them at some point, but I have no knowledge of when that might be. However, the 700s are based on the technology used in the 800s that we reviewed (in brief) here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan10/articles/studioheadphones.htm

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Matt Houghton
SOS Reviews Editor

#1027740 - 09/01/13 12:20 PM
Quote Tartaruga:

Hi Kevin!

Have you tried this:
http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-heads...

There’s a 80ohm version…
You can use them for everything,a true reference,no hype…
Cheers!

Pedro

I have a pair of those here as I type. They're a pleasant enough sound. Rather darker sounding than most Sennheisers of the same sort of price, but smooth enough and not over-hyped in any way. But I wouldn't say they were very revealing (unlike the more expensive cans Beyer do design for critical listening, which are excellent!). I miss loads of details in them in the mid range and high end compared with the HD650s I normally use (which are nice but a tad poor on the bass side of things.

OP... The thing about asking for recommendations for listening pleasure, which 'flatter' the sound is that everyone's taste in this respect is different! It's like asking someone else to recommend what my favourite fruit should be

--------------------
SOS Reviews Editor

Kevin Nolan

#1029404 - 19/01/13 10:04 PM
Just thought I'm report back on having purchased the Sennheiser HD598's. I have to say, they are absolutely fabulous. The are slightly more 'present' than the HD650s, ever more slightly coloured in the bass and high end - but - they are absolutely magnificent. If I didn't know the difference between the HD650s I'd use them as monitor headphones any day. The quality of the sound - definition, superb stereo etc.. is essentially that of the 650s - a variation on a theme rather than in any way inferior whatsoever.

But for the sort of listening I bought them for they are a marvel. lLstening to my iPod (AAC encoded pieces) and connected through a NECO SOUNDLAB portable V-2 headphone preamp, I am totally bold over by the sound, it's stunning. Overall, I could not recommend these headphones highly enough. Sennheiser have absolutely mastered how to manufacture headphones these days.

Kevin.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3001

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media