Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
sc1460

Waves L2 - the sound of todays generation, really?!!
      #1026516 - 31/12/12 10:05 PM
In a previous Sound on Sound producer Jeff Bhaskar (i think) says quite clearly that when he wants to give his productions a 'today' vibe he straps the Waves L2 on the master buss. (He goes on to say this is 2012 not 1972).

I have tried the L2, the UAD Maximiser, Cytomic Glue and various others in my tool kit and frankly the differences are so subtle very few people can tell the difference between them (including an engineer who works at Star Radio though please refrain from sending in any obvious sarcastic comments).

Surely by the time the track has reached mastering IT IS 99% DONE. Way more factor will have impacted the vibe by that point than the buss compressor at the end?

(I did note that the Fun track he produced went through some what I describe as awesome studios and musicianship, so...)

Anyone else swear by the Waves L2 as the sound of this generation?

Happy New Year!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: Waves L2 - the sound of todays generation, really?!! new [Re: sc1460]
      #1026611 - 01/01/13 05:02 PM
I can't say that I do - the Waves L2 is an excellent mastering limiter, but no better than several others in my collection.

In fact, I've just remembered that I included the L2 and L3 Ultramaximisers among the candidates in my transparency tests when reviewing PSP's Xenon back in SOS August 2008:

"To test out PSP's claims of extra loudness with ultimate transparency, I performed some blind tests against a selection of other mastering limiters, comprising Izotope's Ozone 3 Loudness Maximiser module, Voxengo's Elephant 2, Waves' L2 and L3 Ultramaximisers, and Wave Arts' FinalPlug 5."

www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug08/articles/pspxenon.htm

You can read my personal findings in the above link

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

britney

#1026632 - 01/01/13 07:31 PM
I expect he cited the L2 coz that's what he's got, and therefore, obviously, uses. Rather than meaning that the L2 is the must have-toy if you want to sell records in this day and age.

Its kind of hard to argue that military grade limiting is not the sound of today's generation.

--------------------
"The people who work upstairs don't necessarily work.... upstairs." Besnik

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1026634 - 01/01/13 07:35 PM
Me neither. I'm rather partial to Sonnox Limiter.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Jack Ruston

#1026635 - 01/01/13 07:42 PM
Yeah I think he's using the L2 as a catch all for digital brickwall limiting. It gets applied to mixes after the bus compression, it gets applied in mastering and gets applied to both stems in the mix and individual sources. People often mix with the limiting in mind. The use of that type of process, or rather the goal of that process has certainly affected the way people mix, for example, bass. SO yeah I think it is fair to say that it's the sound of this generation.

J

--------------------
www.jackruston.com

J-Storm

Re: Waves L2 - the sound of todays generation, really?!! new [Re: Jack Ruston]
      #1026805 - 03/01/13 08:05 AM
The L3 Ultra-Maximizer is way better. The L2 is next in line when it comes to Waves Limiter Products. The L3 has more of a subtle warmth after it pumps through unlike the L2. But Like you said, you can BARELY TELL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF869LV4esE

I used Cubase 5 and Mastered with L3 and a few other things on this song right here.
Check It Out!

@hollidaytrax

Edited by j-storm (03/01/13 08:08 AM)

KayDee

Loc: DK
      #1026871 - 03/01/13 02:58 PM
When I used the L2, it always gave me some bad transient squash and bad mid range sounding mixes. When I switched to the Sonnox limiter it was gone. So for me the sound of 2012/2013 is the Sonnox limiter not the L2

SafeandSound Masteri...

Loc: London UK
      #1026959 - 04/01/13 12:57 PM
They all sound different (and the same one can sound very different), some are extremely controllable and tweakable. The more you dig in the more you hear their variation and what the many adjustable parameters are doing.

SafeandSound Mastering
Music mastering services

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: ***
Thread views: 2157

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media