Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
oggyb

Loc: Leeds, UK
Complex mix driving me bonkers
      #1026909 - 03/01/13 08:32 PM
Hi y'all, happy new year.

Please shout at me about this mix, because I'm going insane. It's just so wooly and gluey. I can hear the difference between this and commercial mixes of a similar style, but I can't fathom the details that need to be corrected.

https://soundcloud.com/oggyb/dreaming-isnt-cheap-wip/s-NzJyu

RAWR

--------------------
Composer;
www.ogonline.org

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Complex mix driving me bonkers new [Re: oggyb]
      #1026911 - 03/01/13 08:58 PM
(Lovely piece of music - I like it a lot!)

It's not bad, but I can hear the problems you're having. The lower-mids are a bit crowded. By the time the tom hits enter the fray you're saturated.

Firstly I'd look to thin out some of the parts. The scratchy loop would be a prime candidate for me. Compare signals against one another to find where the lower-mids are overlapping. The percussion and the piano are definitely candidates for some thinning (piano is frequently a culprit for overlapping bass/low-mids), though you may be able to automate the EQ as the arrangement grows in complexity - as more parts are added then be more aggressive with the thinning.

Some parts could be brighter - more 'air' in the breathy parts, for example. Look for anything in the 8kHz or above that can be made to 'zing' a little. You'll have to be choosy with these, but if you get it right the mix should balance out a little better.

I'd also look at stronger/brighter reverbs to help out. The piano sounds as if if could benefit from a longer/more prominent pre-delay. The tom hits also need a bigger space around them to make them 'impossibly' big. Other parts may need drying up to allow this.

You know how it is - if I was sitting in front of this mix I have no doubt I'd contradict myself over and over before I let it go, but you have to keep the underlying philosophy of the mix in mind - for me this would be a mix I'd want to sound surreally huge, and pull my attention to the sounds at the back/distance.

Hope something here helps.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Huge Longjohns
long-serving member

Loc: Where the black rocks stand gu...
      #1026914 - 03/01/13 09:18 PM
Very nice, great opening for a sci fi film! But I think it perhaps needs to be less polite; with more movement, both in terms of relative levels and volume automation and panning (side to side) to add excitement. It's all a little central and static. Main thing, for me, though, would be to explode the drums in and mix them higher and wider once they're in. Hope that sparks some thoughts.

--------------------
"The man who questions opinions is wise. The man who quarrels with facts is a fool." Frank Garbutt, inventor & industrialist

oggyb

#1026930 - 04/01/13 01:05 AM
You're both amazing, thanks.

I've done some of those things, is it better? I still think it could do with more levels automation... things tumbling over each other.

https://soundcloud.com/oggyb/dreaming-isnt-cheap-13/s-7jal7

The biggest change I made was lift the bass by an octave for the sections with percussion, which freed the bottom octave for thumps.

--------------------
Composer;
www.ogonline.org

The Elf

#1026941 - 04/01/13 09:44 AM
Yes, that is sounding better. I think you could still be braver with the reverbs and you might need to hunt down a couple of distracting 'mosquito' frequencies, but I think you're on the right track now.

--------------------

oggyb

#1026973 - 04/01/13 02:33 PM
Listening back, there's definitely a mosquito in the vocals, and a collision within the toms/perc loop around 6-800. What do you think about the brass?

--------------------
Composer;
www.ogonline.org

The Elf

#1026976 - 04/01/13 03:07 PM
I have a pathological loathing of brass, so I'm probably not the best judge! I could hear them replaced with something more synthy, or maybe something like an Asian/African bowed/reed instrument, perhaps.

--------------------

oggyb

#1026984 - 04/01/13 04:39 PM
Lols well I was thinking more about the mix you betrayed yourself.

--------------------
Composer;
www.ogonline.org

maskedwarrior

#1027333 - 07/01/13 12:06 AM
Listening to the first mix (staying true to the source so you aren't led in circles lol)...

I think a different reverb on the piano that gave it more top end excitement and a bit more of an orientation - maybe with some earlier reflections - would help. Sounds a bit too close mic'd and a bit thuddy & dead.

I also think the pulsing loop track could have some EQ automation on it, to make more of the higher, more breathy frequencies as the tom thumps come in, so it takes more of a journey and doesn't compete with the boooms.

Only a first impression, on headphones, but they can be helpful I know. Really exciting music, had me hooked so I kept forgetting to listen at all critically! lol
Tony

--------------------
[Type your personal signature here]

oggyb

Re: Complex mix driving me bonkers new [Re: maskedwarrior]
      #1027343 - 07/01/13 03:07 AM
Hey thanks, I did in fact change the main reverb to have more emphasis on early reflections and the EQ is automated on the pulsing loop.

Actually, I removed more HF as the piece went on to to avoid competing with the vocals and brass: I haven't tried adding sizzle at the top but it may just congest the upper regions, which I want free for breath and that sparkly string synth.

Here's the latest:
Latest

--------------------
Composer;
www.ogonline.org

maskedwarrior

#1027481 - 07/01/13 06:53 PM
Hi. Well I approve of all the changes there, sounds fulsome & more 'complete' than the first mix. For what it's worth I think it's super.

I think this is an artistic personal thing lol but I do want the frog-ribbity sample thing to change as the track progresses - to explore other frequencies, as that's the thing I find myself centering on and it holds the track uniquely together.
But hey it's your baby and I'm probably crossing a parental boundary there!

--------------------
[Type your personal signature here]

oggyb

Re: Complex mix driving me bonkers new [Re: maskedwarrior]
      #1027482 - 07/01/13 07:18 PM
Quote maskedwarrior:

I think this is an artistic personal thing lol but I do want the frog-ribbity sample thing to change as the track progresses - to explore other frequencies, as that's the thing I find myself centering on and it holds the track uniquely together.
But hey it's your baby and I'm probably crossing a parental boundary there!

No that's actually an interesting thought.

--------------------
Composer;
www.ogonline.org

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2272

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media