Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
tomdot

Stillwell Audio...Where For Art They?
      #1029255 - 18/01/13 02:01 PM
I'm looking to grab a couple of Stillwell plugins, but when the demo asks me to register it takes me to a defunct webpage. I then noticed that the last time any news was posted was 2010, and the forums look like they've been dead for a few years now.

Are the actually alive still? Next question is - is it still safe to buy from them?

If they are alive, why is it so quiet over there?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: Stillwell Audio...Where For Art They? new [Re: tomdot]
      #1029660 - 22/01/13 01:11 AM
Hi tomdot!

I've also noticed the lack of activity over at the Stillwell Audio web site, although I don't ever remember hearing of them going under.

I'll put some feelers out and see if I can find out what's happened, as they have a truly impressive range of products that I still use on a regular basis.

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

ZukanModerator
Zukan

#1029680 - 22/01/13 09:40 AM
Quote tomdot:

If they are alive, why is it so quiet over there?

Apart from mega sales most companies are struggling to survive. Some have come out with new products and the smaller companies that are surviving is a testament to the loyalty and support that they receive from their user base.

I foresee many companies, in all sectors, going under this year....sadly.

--------------------
Samplecraze
Stretch That Note

tomdot

#1029725 - 22/01/13 12:54 PM
Normally I would say yes to that, however Stillwell Audio are producing some great plugins that a lot of people use and are still buying. They're small yes, but seemingly doing a lot of business not only with the Stillwell brand but with Schwa plugins too. Not only that, their plugins are included in Reaper so they must be earning a crust bigger than other small developers in their position.

I ended up stumping up the money for some plugins and they work great. I'm looking to grab a couple more at payday, however, the lack of activity means I'm still worried about future support and potential (non) updates.

desmond

#1029731 - 22/01/13 01:16 PM
They develop and design for other companies as well, I believe, so just because their own brand haven't seen any releases for a while doesn't mean they are not hard at work on something or other...

Ras Keita

#1030036 - 23/01/13 09:12 PM
http://www.cockos.com/team.php

This is Stillwell...

John Schwartz
Italics

John joined Cockos in 2008, and since then we have seen astronomical growth by nearly every metric imaginable.

Having spent many years in industries varied and questionable (including Rock and/or Roll), John has become our moral compass, guiding us to the wonderful future.

John is so highly trained that he can type code that compiles correctly almost 3% of the time. He also makes some fantastic audio plug-ins.

desmond

Re: Stillwell Audio...Where For Art They? new [Re: Ras Keita]
      #1030042 - 23/01/13 09:51 PM
Thanks for the info - I knew Schwa and White Tie worked on Reaper, but didn't know they had officially joined the main team (or at least, Schwa)...

White Tie

Loc: Leicester
Re: Stillwell Audio...Where For Art They? new [Re: desmond]
      #1030094 - 24/01/13 10:36 AM
Hello, just a smidge of rumour control if I may: Stillwell Audio very very much in business. Oh yes indeed. The lack of news and overt public activity for a while is simply a measure of quite how busy the behind-the-scenes activity is. I'll say no more Meanwhile, the trial / buy / support is still getting full attention and remains, I humbly suggest, splendid. Anyone having problems please contact the support@ address. Ta!

--------------------
The House of White Tie

tomdot

#1030114 - 24/01/13 12:43 PM
Well this is good new to hear! Reading back, it might have come across as slightly scaremongering - I can just imagine someone over there panicking that some bloke was saying that you don't sell plugins anymore!

Obviously that wasn't the case, more of a "I really want these plugins, I hope they haven't fell in the bath and died"

So...what you been up to? Anything we might want to know about or be given a discount on?

Stef Andrews

Loc: Sussex, UK
      #1030119 - 24/01/13 01:06 PM
Quote tomdot:

So...what you been up to? Anything we might want to know about or be given a discount on?

I have to say I find this a bit rude. I may be overreacting, but it seems as tho you've asked if this company were still alive, there's been a discussion on the fact that companies will go under this year - basically as they don't make enough money - then you ask if there's anything you can get some money off!

To add to it, he's stated "he'll say no more", meaning to me that there's something big in the pipeline the company are excited about and that they're waiting for the right time to make a proper announcement.

I apologise if I'm going over the top, but it just seems pretty rude from where i'm sat.

--------------------
www.sda-audio.co.uk

tomdot

#1030130 - 24/01/13 01:34 PM
It was a joke. You definitely are overreacting and going over the top.

I mentioned above I'd already bought the plugins and was going to buy more (Transient Monster is definitely on the list) before I even got a response to my question, so I'm hardly after a genuine freebie or a discount. If I were a cheapskate, I wouldn't want a discount, I'd simply not register the product as Stillwell's lenient evaluation policy means this is an option for those that don't want to reward the developer for their efforts.

I also mentioned that they appear to be well because of all the other work they do, so I hope that they haven't dropped support - as White Tie states they haven't and I'm happy.

Stillwell/Schwa appear to be a great company full of talent, with great looking and sounding plugins, with a fantastic pricing structure, and if anyone is looking for tools to do the job very well, then Stillwell would be the first place to go!

Stef Andrews

Loc: Sussex, UK
      #1030171 - 24/01/13 03:56 PM
My apologies, I simply didn't get the humour. It's hard in type at the best of times, maybe a smilie of sorts would have helped!

--------------------
www.sda-audio.co.uk

tomdot

Re: Stillwell Audio...Where For Art They? new [Re: Stef Andrews]
      #1030206 - 24/01/13 06:11 PM
Quote Stef Andrews:

maybe a smilie of sorts would have helped!

You should have said!! I was rummaging through some old stuff and found a load of these

Just place them anywhere you think they should go in any of my threads. Work doesn't often inspire a click on an Instant Graemlin

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
      #1030222 - 24/01/13 07:05 PM
Quote Stef Andrews:

maybe a smilie of sorts would have helped!

You should have said!! I was rummaging through some old and found a load of these

Just place them anywhere you think they should go in any of my threads. Work doesn't often inspire a click on a Instant Graemlin.

I like this game.

--------------------
Onward and outward

Scramble

Re: Stillwell Audio...Where For Art They? new [Re: Stef Andrews]
      #1030250 - 24/01/13 08:51 PM
>My apologies, I simply didn't get the humour. It's hard in type at the best of times, maybe a smilie of sorts would have helped!

A good rule of thumb on this forum is to assume evere comment is tongue-in-cheek, unless you defintely have reason to think otherwise.

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: Stillwell Audio...Where For Art They? new [Re: White Tie]
      #1030295 - 25/01/13 12:12 AM
Quote White Tie:

Hello, just a smidge of rumour control if I may: Stillwell Audio very very much in business. Oh yes indeed. The lack of news and overt public activity for a while is simply a measure of quite how busy the behind-the-scenes activity is. I'll say no more Meanwhile, the trial / buy / support is still getting full attention and remains, I humbly suggest, splendid. Anyone having problems please contact the support@ address. Ta!

Thanks for the heads-up White Tie - we can all sleep soundly tonight knowing that Stillwell Audio is still alive and kicking behind the scenes.

Excellent news!

I love your stuff!

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

tomdot

Re: Stillwell Audio...Where For Art They? new [Re: shufflebeat]
      #1030345 - 25/01/13 08:47 AM
Quote shufflebeat:

I like this game.

H a h a h a h a

It would be nice to see a new range out of Stillwell tbh - it seems the only thing they dont do is a multiband compressor. Maybe soon?!?!?!?!

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
      #1030406 - 25/01/13 02:11 PM
I'm just about caught up with what I find essential/useful/interesting/useless. The last thing I need now is more ing choice.

+1 for Stillwell products and ethos.

--------------------
Onward and outward

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
4 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 2507

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media