Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
vinyl_junkie

Loc: Kent, UK
Unbalancing digital output?
      #1029381 - 19/01/13 06:54 PM
Quick question

Some devices only have digital outputs on XLR connectors.
In my case these can be switched to either output the AES/EBU digital standard or the "consumer" SPDIF standard.

Now I guess silly question but how can I wire this up to go into a RCA plug so I can plug it into a consumer type device which has the digital input only on RCA's?

I'm guessing the GND and Cold terminals will be both going to the sleeve and the Hot pin to the center pin on the RCA?

Edited by vinyl_junkie (19/01/13 06:55 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Unbalancing digital output? new [Re: vinyl_junkie]
      #1029382 - 19/01/13 07:07 PM
Most digital inputs and outputs are via tiny 'pulse transformers' which means they are 'floating'. So the signal is presented on pins 2 and 3 on the XLR and you just need to wire it to the pin and sleeve, respectively, of the RCA phono connector. Strictly speaking the two interface formats have different impedances (110 vs 75 ohms) but provided you are connecting one source directly to one destination over a shortish cable (a couple of metres maximum) it will work just fine.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #1029409 - 19/01/13 10:53 PM
Then there's these....

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Musical-Instruments-Gear-/619/i.html?_nkw=spdif+ba lun

Dave.

Goddard

Re: Unbalancing digital output? new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1029416 - 20/01/13 03:11 AM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

Most digital inputs and outputs are via tiny 'pulse transformers' which means they are 'floating'. So the signal is presented on pins 2 and 3 on the XLR and you just need to wire it to the pin and sleeve, respectively, of the RCA phono connector. Strictly speaking the two interface formats have different impedances (110 vs 75 ohms) but provided you are connecting one source directly to one destination over a shortish cable (a couple of metres maximum) it will work just fine.

H

IME, the coax S/PDIF inputs on a lot of gear (esp. "consumer" and even "prosumer" devices) are not transformer-isolated (even if the same device also has a coax S/PDIF output which is itself galvanically isolated). This should not be a problem so long as the coax S/PDIF source output being connected to is itself isolated, and Hugh's advice is still valid even in such a case. But as a precaution, make the connections before powering up.

Why I prefer running S/PDIF (or AES/EBU) over TOSlink optical when possible...

Goddard

Re: Unbalancing digital output? new [Re: ef37a]
      #1029417 - 20/01/13 03:16 AM
Quote ef37a:

Then there's these....

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Musical-Instruments-Gear-/619/i.html...

Dave.

Hey Dave, Midiman made a box for this job too (find 'em cheap nowadays):

http://m-audio.com/images/global/manuals/CO3_Manual.pdf

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Unbalancing digital output? new [Re: Goddard]
      #1029440 - 20/01/13 12:49 PM
The midiman box is a powered format converter and is useful if you need to send an S/PDIF signal a long way via AES3, but the expense is unnecessary for a short-length connection in the back of a small equipment rack etc.

The Balan Dave linked to is a nice and proper way of dealing with S/PDIF to AES interfacing, but again is significantly more expensive than a simple 'bodeg cable' and -- in these examples, at least -- will need BNC-RCA adapter cables anyway (since the balan is actually designed to convert from AES3 (on balanced XLR) to AES3-id (on unbalanced BNC cable) formats.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

vinyl_junkie

Loc: Kent, UK
      #1029441 - 20/01/13 01:05 PM
Many thanks for all the helpful replies

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1442

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media