Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
tomdot

Multitrack Audio Slicing Problems (Logic Ex 9.1.8)
      #1031773 - 02/02/13 06:33 PM
I'm pulling my bloody hair out and have been trying to do this literally all day so I hope someone has an answer that isn't "use Flex Time"...

I'm trying to tidy up the timing of some drum tracks in Logic Ex 9.1.8. I have grouped the drums in the mixer, detected the transients in the sample editor (kick and snare) and tidied them up, clicked the q-reference for the snare and kick tracks, and then ctrl-clicked 'Slice at Transient Markers'. It should slice at the markers I've set yes?

Well it doesn't. It slices each tracks transients individually.

So, I tried deleting the transients in those tracks I don't need and tried again. It sliced those transients I need, yes, but did not slice anything in the tracks where I had deleted the transients.

It seems as though 'Slice At Transient Markers' doesnt detect group or q-reference settings even though it should.

Does anyone have absolutely any idea whatsoever of what I can do to get this sorted? I know it can be done because the exact same thing was achieved in this thread, complete with one who did it no problem and one who couldn't do it. The odd thing was that both ended up unable to do it once opening the same project.

What is going on before I sling the MacBook out the window?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Will Bailey

Re: Multitrack Audio Slicing Problems (Logic Ex 9.1.8) new [Re: tomdot]
      #1031822 - 03/02/13 12:48 AM
Hi, you say you have grouped the channels but have you enabled selection and edit grouping? Open the group options dialogue to enable this.

If all your regions start and end at the same positions you should enable phase locked editing in the same dialogue. You'd need this for multitrack flex time too.

Will

tomdot

#1032256 - 05/02/13 06:45 PM
Sorry for the delay, however, I appear to have sorted this. Though, I do think there's a bug somewhere in the process. I had originally detected and deleted the transients, but they re-appeared at a later date. I think that I may have done this prior to turning on Flex Slicing mode, so they re-appeared which would make sense, however I'm not sure if this is the case, so the jury is out.

Either way, I can now split everything as much as I like. I jut have to sort out the "why cant I crossfade using the Inspector even though I should be able to" question.

Edited by tomdot (05/02/13 06:45 PM)

Will Bailey

#1032308 - 06/02/13 02:11 AM
glad to hear you've at least got one problem sorted!

Joe (Joe Public Stud...

Loc: Barnet, Hertfordshire
      #1032665 - 07/02/13 11:45 PM
Well I have NEVER managed to get Flex to do anything other than completely ruin the sound of medium tracks! Half an hour of manual cutting, moving and cross-fading gets a seamless result in most cases. But it seems to take me just as long to set up, tweak and adjust Flex for a hideous result! Would love a real-world tutorial, the drum fix demos on YouTube are just too simple a drum track to be truly helpful!

--------------------
Joe / www.joepublicstudios.com

tomdot

#1032693 - 08/02/13 09:08 AM
Joe I think you've got the right idea with the manual editing. I personally have never used time stretching to solve major timing issues as I think anything other than very tiny increments sounds like Sylvester Stallone and Shane MacGowan having a chat underneath a jet engine.

I used Pro Tools for years and never owned Beat Detective up until the very end, and I wore out the Tab and 'B' keys. I can do the same now in Logic 9 using Flex Slicing mode and the Transient Detector - the first week was a nightmare, but now I've got the key commands sorted I'm away. It's misleading because it seems that you're flexing all the audio to bits, but using the slicing mode doesn't disrupt the audio. It's actually straightforward once you learn the quirks and it's compareable to BD.

The only time I'll use Flex is for stuff I don't know how to edit with introducing bumps - mainly continuous cymbals like heavily played rides and crashes on every beat. By stretching the audio back a quarter or half beat it stops that big clunk in the middle of the edit and doesn't seem to have any artifacts. I'd love to know how to manual edit in these kinds of places but I can never get it right. I've even tried matching the waveforms but still get a slight bump.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1064

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media