Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
OneWorld

Setting up BCR2000 to control hardware
      #1033040 - 11/02/13 02:16 PM
I have an old BCR2000 lying about and wondered about trying to set it up to control a hardware synth.

I use Cubase 5, but am totally confused.

1. With the BCR2000 connected using USB - I get Ports 1, 2, 3 - what's all that about?

2. I am on MIDI Channel 1. And the synth xv5050 on MIDI Channel 1.

3. In the Cubase Track Inspector I make my choices of MIDI i/o

4. Do I set the Cubase input to receive from the BCR2000 and the MIDI Output to the XV5050 - in other words, when I turn a control in the BCR2000, it 'sends' a message to the receiver (the XV5050) or the other way around

5. Having given up on steps 2, 3, 4 I have moved on to trying to get the BCR to control the Mixer in Cubase, by using the 'learn' facility on the BCR, but when I right click on any Cubase Mixer controls, there is no 'learn' as there is in the VST synth knobs

6. So I tried using the 'learn' feature on the BCR - at some points it says 'Good' as mentioned in the BCR manual, but when I make an adjustment from the BCR - nothing happens in Cubase, can't even get the Transport Controls working - even though I have gone into the Cubase Sync/Transport controls and under MMC/MTC have ticked the BCR2000 Port 1, 2, 3

I have been on the Behringer wensite and downloaded all kinds of templates but amongst them there is no instruction of how to install them - it sort of assumes you have a PHd in digitarypokery, which I haven't. All I need is a simple press this, poke that, twiddle t'other instruction.

Can anyone point me to a simple tutorial sort of thing, as I find the Behringer literature totally perplexing.

I think I'll buy the BCR a little friend - a duster, because that's all it ever does, collects dust.

Why don't synth manufacturers, both hard and soft associate the same MIDI messages to the same controls/ For example every synth has a filter resolution knob, why not make it so every synth uses for example, cc21 (or whatever) for that?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Mixedup

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Re: Setting up BCR2000 to control hardware new [Re: OneWorld]
      #1033043 - 11/02/13 02:25 PM
Well, I had no problems with the templates — but I did want to venture beyond the templates so that I could determine which control accessed what in which mode or bank. Eg maybe I wanted each of the 32 pots simply to control the faders on channels 1-32, and then to skip to another preset where they controlled pan on those same channels. To do that in Cubase you should probably be looking at the Generic Remote. It's detailed in the Cubase manual, but there's also a handy little workshop in the SOS archive here.

As to why they don't standardise... well, synths are complex things and they don't all share the same controls. Some may have more than one filter. Others may be modular and require rather freer routing/protocols.

Anyway, good luck getting sorted. It's a great little unit once you get it up an running.

Mixedup

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Re: Setting up BCR2000 to control hardware new [Re: Mixedup]
      #1033044 - 11/02/13 02:26 PM
p.s. yes, once you get the signal coming in an recognised by Cubase, you can route the MIDI output to your synth and control that with the signal. You'll need to enable the monitor button on the MIDI channel to let that straight through, though.

You could also try using another MIDI utility like MIDI Ox in order to allow you to play the synth without having to boot up Cubase.

alexis

Loc: San Antonio, TX USA
      #1033061 - 11/02/13 03:49 PM
Quote OneWorld:

I have an old BCR2000 lying about and wondered about trying to set it up to control a hardware synth.

I use Cubase 5, but am totally confused.

1. With the BCR2000 connected using USB - I get Ports 1, 2, 3 - what's all that about?

2. I am on MIDI Channel 1. And the synth xv5050 on MIDI Channel 1.

3. In the Cubase Track Inspector I make my choices of MIDI i/o

4. Do I set the Cubase input to receive from the BCR2000 and the MIDI Output to the XV5050 - in other words, when I turn a control in the BCR2000, it 'sends' a message to the receiver (the XV5050) or the other way around

5. Having given up on steps 2, 3, 4 I have moved on to trying to get the BCR to control the Mixer in Cubase, by using the 'learn' facility on the BCR, but when I right click on any Cubase Mixer controls, there is no 'learn' as there is in the VST synth knobs

6. So I tried using the 'learn' feature on the BCR - at some points it says 'Good' as mentioned in the BCR manual, but when I make an adjustment from the BCR - nothing happens in Cubase, can't even get the Transport Controls working - even though I have gone into the Cubase Sync/Transport controls and under MMC/MTC have ticked the BCR2000 Port 1, 2, 3

I have been on the Behringer wensite and downloaded all kinds of templates but amongst them there is no instruction of how to install them - it sort of assumes you have a PHd in digitarypokery, which I haven't. All I need is a simple press this, poke that, twiddle t'other instruction.

Can anyone point me to a simple tutorial sort of thing, as I find the Behringer literature totally perplexing.

I think I'll buy the BCR a little friend - a duster, because that's all it ever does, collects dust.

Why don't synth manufacturers, both hard and soft associate the same MIDI messages to the same controls/ For example every synth has a filter resolution knob, why not make it so every synth uses for example, cc21 (or whatever) for that?

I set up a BCF2K up a while back, did tons of research and got it up running without surprises and hassles. I kept the links that got me set up, those are the ones below, I imagine most of them are just as helpful for the BCR2K. Trust me when I say, if they got **me** up and running, they should be good for anyone!

The youtubes by the hip dude and also by the older British guy were the most helpful to me ...

Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p50nG_6546A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgJuG84Jxt4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYXGni98J8U&feature=gv

http://www.dancetech.com/item.cfm?threadid=3714&lang=0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lauwj1Lo9_w&feature=results_video&playnext= 1&list=PL2E0498D8C36A4AC7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSIrT6YsZNQ&feature=related

http://www.dancetech.com/item.cfm?threadid=3714

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLJ9OBmADHE&feature=channel&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLJ9OBmADHE&feature=channel&list=UL

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

alexis

Loc: San Antonio, TX USA
      #1033080 - 11/02/13 07:52 PM
[Edit:] I see I answered the wrong question - it's your synth your trying to control with the BC2000, rather than your Cubase 5. Sorry!

BTW - have you found/joined the BC2000 yahoo.com group? Lots of awfully smart and nice people there who might be able to help out.

Good luck!

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
10 registered and 57 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1520

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media