Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Elephone

Soloing tracks in Nuendo
      #1033181 - 12/02/13 05:09 PM
Hi. I've probably got a slow brain... but I'm not sure what's going on with the solo buttons in Nuendo. It seems the solo functions both as 'enable' and 'solo'.

Often you want to hear a selection of tracks to listen to in isolation, so you solo those tracks.

However, it is quite reasonable to want to then solo one of those selected tracks to hear it alone, and then listen to the selection again.

Is there a way to do this without having to un-solo, then re-solo the smaller number of tracks.

(Sorry if this is really basic stuff)

Cheers.

James

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Soloing tracks in Nuendo new [Re: Elephone]
      #1033191 - 12/02/13 06:00 PM
There's no way, as far as I am aware, to do this on an ad-hoc basis.

But you could...

...link the tracks you want to toggle together.

...send tracks to a Group and solo the Group.

...folder tracks solo the folder.

You may reach a point where it may be simpler to mute tracks you don't want to hear than solo the ones you do.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

alexis

Loc: San Antonio, TX USA
      #1033197 - 12/02/13 06:44 PM
Quote Elephone:

Hi. I've probably got a slow brain... but I'm not sure what's going on with the solo buttons in Nuendo. It seems the solo functions both as 'enable' and 'solo'.

Often you want to hear a selection of tracks to listen to in isolation, so you solo those tracks.

However, it is quite reasonable to want to then solo one of those selected tracks to hear it alone, and then listen to the selection again.

Is there a way to do this without having to un-solo, then re-solo the smaller number of tracks.

(Sorry if this is really basic stuff)

Cheers.

James

I've just recently become a big fan of the "Listen" function in Cubase's Control Room. If it's possible to "Listen" to more than one track at a time in Nuendo, that might do it for you (after setting the volume attenuation of the other tracks to -XXdB in the Control Room, as you desire).

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

The Elf

Re: Soloing tracks in Nuendo new [Re: alexis]
      #1033202 - 12/02/13 07:54 PM
Quote alexis:

I've just recently become a big fan of the "Listen" function in Cubase's Control Room. If it's possible to "Listen" to more than one track at a time in Nuendo, that might do it for you (after setting the volume attenuation of the other tracks to -XXdB in the Control Room, as you desire).

Listen simply ducks the rest of the tracks, whereas Solo mutes them, otherwise there's little difference - you can Solo or Listen to multiple tracks just the same.

--------------------

alexis

Loc: San Antonio, TX USA
Re: Soloing tracks in Nuendo new [Re: The Elf]
      #1033204 - 12/02/13 08:05 PM
Quote The Elf:

Quote alexis:

Listen simply ducks the rest of the tracks, whereas Solo mutes them, otherwise there's little difference - you can Solo or Listen to multiple tracks just the same.

Excellent, hadn't done that yet!

That being the case, it might be less button clicks to use the Listen as a solo on multiple tracks, rather than using the actual Solo button, for reasons the OP described. Just set the amount of ducking on the Listen function in the Control Room to essentially a mute level. Just a suggestion though, it works on a single track of course, but as I mentioned I haven't actually tried it on multiple tracks simultaneously!

--------------------
Alexis -Cubase7.5.20 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W7SP1 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro2.5

Elephone

#1033291 - 13/02/13 03:03 PM
Wow! I thought I was being stupid.

I would have thought this would be a pretty necessary function that merely requires an 'enable' button as well as a 'solo' button. I mean, sometimes I might have 11 tracks solo'd, but then want to quickly listen to just one. To keep muting the other tracks is just unnecessarily tedius.

Oh well, thanks. I'll try the workarounds in Nuendo.

P.S. If Steinberg are trying to avoid adding too many buttons, the simple solution would be to offer optional buttons, like in other programs. Is Reaper any better on this front? I'm becoming increasingly tempted to give it a go!

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #1033293 - 13/02/13 03:06 PM
You can remove all of the solos by using the S button at the very top, then you can solo just the one track, but you wont be able to go back to the multiple soloed tracks you previously had.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

The Elf

#1033295 - 13/02/13 03:35 PM
Quote Elephone:

I would have thought this would be a pretty necessary function that merely requires an 'enable' button as well as a 'solo' button. I mean, sometimes I might have 11 tracks solo'd, but then want to quickly listen to just one. To keep muting the other tracks is just unnecessarily tedius.

I don't really see it that way. 'Solo' doesn't say 11 tracks to me - one or two is sufficient. If your tracks are grouped sensibly I can't see why you'd want 11 tracks individually soloed.

--------------------

Elephone

#1033298 - 13/02/13 04:09 PM
" 'Solo' doesn't say 11 tracks to me - one or two is sufficient. "

Exactly! That's why there should be an enable button too.

I don't always want to group my tracks, and in any case it's easier to decide which ones to group when you can easily enable & solo them. Sometimes I might have 24 tracks, several of which merely act as structural guides, and I'd like to be able to easily disable them quickly.

I don't know why people defend software for their oversights or laziness. It really wouldn't be that difficult to offer optional buttons, unless Adobe programmers only use geniuses.

The Elf

#1033304 - 13/02/13 04:46 PM
Quote Elephone:

I don't know why people defend software for their oversights or laziness. It really wouldn't be that difficult to offer optional buttons, unless Adobe programmers only use geniuses.

There are many features I'd also like to see - but I couldn't attribute their being missing as oversights or laziness!

I'm not 'defending' anything. I simply see no need for the feature you're describing and I wouldn't want an extra button for it.

--------------------

Elephone

#1033323 - 13/02/13 05:43 PM
It seems clear to me that it would offer a more efficient means of working, especially in the early stages before grouping, etc.

Anyway, I can't see why the button used for allowing the signal to be heard in recording mode (i.e. the little round button with the speaker symbol that turns yellow when on) can't function as an track 'enable' option in play mode.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1515

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media