Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
DC-Choppah

Loc: MD, USA
What are some speakers for studio main monitoring?
      #1033231 - 13/02/13 05:22 AM
I am not really sure what to call the kind of speakers that I need, but we do all of the recording, playing and mixing in one room. The mixing monitors are Adam A8X but these are not positioned for everyone to listen. I use floor monitors for the drummer and bass player and that works for them.

But I would like to put speakers on the wall to broadcast a mix in progress, or a track to play along with to the whole room for practicing, or for gluing the group together when playing live with some reverb added.

I would like something that sounds good, but we don't need a huge amount of power and don't need a subwoofer. I don't want to get that cheap PA speaker sound though but need something more substantial than regular stereo speakers.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Skerrick

Loc: Sydney NSW
Re: What are some speakers for studio main monitoring? new [Re: DC-Choppah]
      #1033232 - 13/02/13 06:13 AM
Quote DC-Choppah:

I am not really sure what to call the kind of speakers that I need, but we do all of the recording, playing and mixing in one room. The mixing monitors are Adam A8X but these are not positioned for everyone to listen. I use floor monitors for the drummer and bass player and that works for them.

But I would like to put speakers on the wall to broadcast a mix in progress, or a track to play along with to the whole room for practicing, or for gluing the group together when playing live with some reverb added.

I would like something that sounds good, but we don't need a huge amount of power and don't need a subwoofer. I don't want to get that cheap PA speaker sound though but need something more substantial than regular stereo speakers.

i use KRK Rokit 8's, the 8" speaker eliminates the need for a sub and provides excellent bass response, PLUS the "VXT" model (the next model up from the G2's) is even better, but they have a great overall sound man and are recommended by lots of industry pros.. very good to have a set to reference against others, and seeing as they almost exclusively make speakers theyre at a good cost. you can grab a rokit 8 (generation 2) for between 250 and 300 AUD each either new or used..

--------------------
www.soundcloud.com/skerrick

Mixedup

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Re: What are some speakers for studio main monitoring? new [Re: Skerrick]
      #1033246 - 13/02/13 09:39 AM
How about a decent PA instead of a poor one?!

What sort of budget are we talking here?

If you want studio monitors for that sort of job in a decent sized room, you could try Dynaudio BM15. The actives aren't cheap, but you should be able to pick up the passives and a suitable amp for a decent price. There are plenty of speakers that will do the job but we kinda need more info here...

Mixedup

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Re: What are some speakers for studio main monitoring? new [Re: Mixedup]
      #1033247 - 13/02/13 09:47 AM
Also... had you thought about headphones/in-ears?

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
Re: What are some speakers for studio main monitoring? new [Re: DC-Choppah]
      #1033251 - 13/02/13 10:03 AM
One of the reasons that studios used to have big monitors was so that people could work at realistic volumes when necessary. I find that I regularly have clients who want to monitor loud for a variety of reasons. One client was producing live backing tracks so he wanted something that would sound good at PA volumes with less compression than I would normally use while other clients want to play without headphones in the control room. Imagine a sax player going full blast - not only is the sound of the sax very loud in the room but the vibrations from the reed are being conducted through the jaw bone to the ears so they need a decent level on the monitors.

Normally I would use my big Tannoys but at the moment the amps that drive them are being repaired so I'm currently using a pair of dB Technologies Basic 110 PA speakers for high level playback which work amazingly well considering their price. They're not particularly impressive sounding but, in this case, it helps as it makes you work harder on a mix.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

DC-Choppah

#1033392 - 14/02/13 01:49 AM
I live a charmed life. I could do a grand or maybe 1500 US dollars for the pair. I'd like something at ear level for the room that sounds good and inspires people. But I don't need huge amounts of power. Like good monitors for the whole band to listen to together where I can control the mix going into them.

DC-Choppah

#1033393 - 14/02/13 01:52 AM
I read the article in this month's SoS on in-ear monitors. I don't think that would work for us, we stop and go a lot and like to talk to each other. It's not a huge room, so being isolated like that seems kind of weird and unnatural.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1349

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media