Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Bo Millward

Help! I got a new pc and my firewire interface wont run properly!
      #1033300 - 13/02/13 04:22 PM
Right I've got a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP which runs perfectly on my old laptop but I've just got a new PC (Zoostorm Desktop PC, AMD A4 3300 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, DVDRW, AMD HD6410D,) and a firewire PCI-E for it (Startech 2 Port Firewire 400 Card PCI-Express) I've been [ ****** ] about for days now and my audio keeps stuttering on a 0.5 sec cycle. I've tried everything I can think of but I can't get it to run smoothly, It's not the Saffire pro it's something to do with the fire wire return from the PC to the interface because diredt montering still comes through crystal clear... Anyone have any Ideas?

Thanks and much love,

Bo

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Mixedup

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Re: Help! I got a new pc and my firewire interface wont run properly! new [Re: Bo Millward]
      #1033308 - 13/02/13 05:02 PM
Which OS? If Win 7 do a search for 'roll back firewire". Works for some devices including Focusrite Liquid Mix. Failing that, really do try Focusrite tech support.

Bo Millward

Re: Help! I got a new pc and my firewire interface wont run properly! new [Re: Bo Millward]
      #1033311 - 13/02/13 05:04 PM
Sorry man I should of said I'm running windows XP, it's not a driver issue. I've pissed about with a number of different drivers for 3 days now and I think it must be something else.

Edited by Bo Millward (13/02/13 05:05 PM)

G-Doubleyou

#1033332 - 13/02/13 06:48 PM
On PC most audio interfaces specifically want to see a firewire card with a Texas Instruments chip set.

Check your FW card for compatibility.

--------------------
G-Dub
Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

Ant Gamble

#1033343 - 13/02/13 07:37 PM
Via chip sets should be fine too.....however...

Many Firewire cards also run network drivers, which can cause glitches/stutters. Go into device manager and look in the firewire AND network adaptor devices. If there is a networking element of the firewire card disable it and then see if there's an improvement.

Ant.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
      #1033431 - 14/02/13 12:05 PM
Quote Bo Millward:

Sorry man I should of said I'm running windows XP, it's not a driver issue. I've pissed about with a number of different drivers for 3 days now and I think it must be something else.

You bought a new PC and put XP on it? Your a braver man than I.

The fix refered too above is this one : http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/article.php?id=1030

It applies to XP SP2 and & SP3 as well so unless your running an inital release with a vanilla install and completely unpatched, your going to want to try it.

Oh, and of course check that the FW card is indeed has a TI chip on it. All the Startech ones I've seen do, but that doesn't mean they all do. Regarding the VIA comment up top, most of the VIA chips do work with the Focus gear but not all of them from experience.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

tim_obrien

#1033505 - 14/02/13 06:03 PM
Firewire interfaces are VERY picky and, as been pointed out, usually work best with TI-chipset cards.

SIIG and Belkin make known good TI-chip'ed firewire cards.

A good basic rule of thumb is: TI chips only!

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1118

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media