Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Casp

Some monitor advice please
      #1034007 - 18/02/13 10:41 PM
Hi there,

I have a pair of KRK VXT4 monitors I have generally been very happy with. However, after reading Mike Senior's book, he seems strongly opposed to monitors with porting. So, I thought of putting some foam in the port but this leaves it bass light as it is only a 4 inch monitor, although the music I record has no need for really low bass or synth parts. That led me to think of adding a sub to compensate, but the matching sub (the 10S) is also ported. Does this just put me back where I started? Is there a better option of sub in that price bracket and is my thinking even sound?

Thank you in advance for your knowledge.

Casp

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Skerrick

Loc: Sydney NSW
Re: Some monitor advice please new [Re: Casp]
      #1034018 - 18/02/13 11:58 PM
man, maybe keep the vxt's for referencing, and buy a set of krk rokit 8 g2's.. theyre pretty cheap atm..
the 8" cone has great bass response and does away with the need for a sub so you could block up the ports and essentially not lose as mch of the bass as youre suggesting you currently are..
if thats what youre getting at?

--------------------
www.soundcloud.com/skerrick

John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

Loc: Oxfordshire UK
      #1034059 - 19/02/13 09:27 AM
Quote Casp:

Hi there,

I have a pair of KRK VXT4 monitors I have generally been very happy with. However, after reading Mike Senior's book, he seems strongly opposed to monitors with porting. So, I thought of putting some foam in the port but this leaves it bass light as it is only a 4 inch monitor, although the music I record has no need for really low bass or synth parts. That led me to think of adding a sub to compensate, but the matching sub (the 10S) is also ported. Does this just put me back where I started? Is there a better option of sub in that price bracket and is my thinking even sound?

Porting is there for a reason and, personally, I would not mess with it as it would cause problems elsewhere.

I have heard that some people have put straws in the port to help control things as the air now comes out of lots of little ports instead of one big one - but this, too, will change the characteristics.

Also - if the port is on the front the monitor pumps the port air at you. If it's on the rear, it pumps air to the rear wall where it can reflect back. On my own ported monitors, the ports are actually on the top so it goes into the room without making nasties.

I can understand Mike not liking ported monitors, but a well-designed ported monitor can be very good.

But if you have ported monitors already, I would not mess with them as they would have been designed to give their best with the port as it is.

--------------------
John - Sound-Link ProAudio
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
Re: Some monitor advice please new [Re: John Willett]
      #1034068 - 19/02/13 10:09 AM
Quote John Willett:

I have heard that some people have put straws in the port to help control things as the air now comes out of lots of little ports instead of one big one - but this, too, will change the characteristics.

I think it was a hifi manufacturer, maybe Celestion, who first did that.

A good ported design will be no worse than a sealed design. The big problem is finding good ported speakers as many manufacturers tend to design the port without sufficient damping so that the speakers produce bloated woolly bass.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Skerrick

Loc: Sydney NSW
Re: Some monitor advice please new [Re: James Perrett]
      #1034212 - 20/02/13 01:01 AM
Quote James Perrett:

A good ported design will be no worse than a sealed design. The big problem is finding good ported speakers as many manufacturers tend to design the port without sufficient damping so that the speakers produce bloated woolly bass.

James.

have a geeze at the KRK g2's.

--------------------
www.soundcloud.com/skerrick

Nathan

Loc: lincolnshire government experi...
Re: Some monitor advice please new [Re: Skerrick]
      #1034521 - 21/02/13 12:44 PM
I have some VXT-8s. It's a while since I heard 4s, but my 8s are better than most budget ported monitors when it comes to bottom-end eveness and port noise, I guess the 4s rely on it a bit more...

Also I think Mike suggested temporarily blocking the ports to concentrate on the midrange and bass, without relying on the bass-extension to carry it, a sort of A-B comparison technique.

>

--------------------
planet nine
lincoln, uk.

Edited by Nathan (21/02/13 12:45 PM)

Casp

#1035239 - 26/02/13 06:27 AM
Thank you all for your responses on this. I think it's fair to say the jury is out on this one, so I think I am going to stick with what I have got until such stage as I notice something negative.

Thanks again.
Casp

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #1035262 - 26/02/13 11:01 AM
Quote Casp:

I have a pair of KRK VXT4 monitors I have generally been very happy with.

First point, if you're happy with it, why worry. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Quote:

However, after reading Mike Senior's book, he seems strongly opposed to monitors with porting.

That's something of an over-simplification. Not all ported monitors are 'bad', and those that are vary in their badness quite dramatically.

The issue is that some monitor designs use the port to hype up the bass end by deliberately using a higher Q value -- they underdamp. This is more common on very small speakers as the response peak and resonance tend to give the impression that they are more capable than they really are. However, the peak (and associated very steep LF roll off), and the resonance all create unhelpful side affects.

The primary one that Mike is complaining about is the time smearing of low frequency signals which get extended through the port resonance. You record a kick drum going 'thud' but the speakers reproduce it as a 'boooom'. That sounds mighty impressive and is very enjoyable if you just want to kick back and listen to music uncritically, but isn't much help if you're trying to EQ and compress bass instruments.

Quote:

So, I thought of putting some foam in the port but this leaves it bass light as it is only a 4 inch monitor...

Quite -- and that's why the porting was used in the first place. Changing the cabinet 'alignment' by bunging the port can be helpful in some cases, but the disadvantges usually outweigh the benefits with very small monitors. You're never going to get decent bass from a very small box -- the laws of physics and all that.

Quote:

That led me to think of adding a sub to compensate, but the matching sub (the 10S) is also ported. Does this just put me back where I started?

Yep! Cheap subs do far more damage than good. The relatively high levels of harmonic distortion that are common in such designs trash the midrange response of the main monitors, and you have all the grief of trying to match the sub and mains responses. You'd be better off using the extra money to trade in your existing speakers and get better ones.

But as I said at the beginning, if you are happy with your monitors as they are, don't worry about it and just record your music. Check the bottom end of your mixes on headphones and other systems. When you have enough experience to recognise the weaknesses of your current monitors then you can trade up.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Some monitor advice please new [Re: John Willett]
      #1035263 - 26/02/13 11:04 AM
Quote John Willett:

I have heard that some people have put straws in the port to help control things

This is done in an attempt to reduce turbulent air flows which can be audible as 'chuffing'. it doesn't help with the time domain issues or LF response.

Quote:

On my own ported monitors, the ports are actually on the top so it goes into the room without making nasties.

And they're very handy if you've run out of flower vases...

Quote:

I can understand Mike not liking ported monitors, but a well-designed ported monitor can be very good.

Agreed... but good design generally equates with higher cost...

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

fay spook

#1035264 - 26/02/13 11:04 AM
Quote Casp:

Hi there,

Thank you in advance for your knowledge.

Casp

If you are happy with your KRKs then stay happy. Read another book that likes ported speakers or look at all the expensive speakers you can get with ports to make yourself feel better!!! Just leave them alone and carry on making music......

The straws etc were to work on the airflow out of a port, hence "golf-balling" and other gas flow techniques. Ports are there to work with the bass driver, so if the bass driver has the correct Thiele/Small parameters for reflex loading it wont have them for a sealed box. What I mean here are the driver parameters such as the comlience of the driver being more suitable to one type of loading (reflex, sealed) over another.

Think of engines, high BHP engines for race cars where high speed is all, torquey engines for trucks where the ability to pull is paramount. Both engines but one designed for one job and the other for another.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/for-mash-get-ash

Exalted Wombat

#1035265 - 26/02/13 11:12 AM
Quote Casp:

Hi there,

I have a pair of KRK VXT4 monitors I have generally been very happy with. However, after reading Mike Senior's book,...

So a book has told you to be unhappy with your monitors? Get another book.

trupro

Loc: New York City
Re: Some monitor advice please new [Re: Skerrick]
      #1035320 - 26/02/13 08:33 PM
I wonder about this too, and often. However, the only thing we need concern ourselves with are, in order of importance in my own oppinion are these three things, with regard to monitors:
1.How well do i 'know' my pair. That is not a joke about sex parts.
How accurate are you at predicting the way your mix on your own monitors you know very well, will translate to everything from a crappy iPad speaker, to earbuds, to a tv to a giant set of speakers in a club? Doesnt matter what youre mixing on, matters what the end product will be experienced on, and it should sound reasonably good on everything. Knowing my space and my own monitors has been lightyears more useful than all the soundproofing materials ive bought over the years. And more useful than the actual speakers.

2.Clarity of highs, the revealing factor that flatter response true 'monitors' will give you versus computer or consumer speakers is the second most important factor to me, just conceptually. Again you have to know your monitors. I want enough clarity that i can hear problematic high frequencies and noise, to remove them. But ive also mixed on $5000 monitors that (no name brand hating from me in this thread) are better suited to mixing classical. Mixing pop music on them rendered a super dead mix. Because i was used to a superdead room with super detailed monitors. Exit studio, put on master, witness 'mud'. Therefore, i want a good balance of clarity, but ive no need to pay good money for something that goes to 50,000HZ :P

3.Bass management: Knowing whats truly going on down there is critical, and the author of that book is right...at least in my own oppinion, i prefer dedicated subs with non-ported mid or nearfield cabs. However, not necessary.

To your own pair of monitors: I for one have always like KRKs, beacause ported or not, they have a big robust bass, yet its tight enough to know what's going on and not over mudding up your mix. To be fair, they are closer to what a normal human will listen on, in fact people that dont know a damn thing about engineering or music have them in their livingroom, because a DJ friend told them they were rad. So no matter what you do, keep em for reference checks.
Also there is no reason that, even if you get new monitors, you cant get a nice middle-of the road crossover and a quality a/b switch. Thusly throwing a subwoofer and a small, very high quality pair of five inch nearfield monitors on the A side, and be able to switch to the KRKs. Best of both worlds, but you should be able to get a kick azz mix with a pair of KRKs or you will do no better on a better pair of speakers anyway.

cheers!

fay spook

Re: Some monitor advice please new [Re: trupro]
      #1035336 - 26/02/13 11:32 PM
Quote trupro:

cheers!

Some wise words. I would also add a couple of things I do. Voices. Vocal intelligibility. (that took a lot of spell checking). Can you really hear what the vocalist is singing. The words, the expression etc. Are there sibilances creeping into the recording chain. Is their mic control working? Does the voice sound natural through the crossover range? Off axis? If your monitor is doing these well then it is doing one of the hardest tasks.

Dont dismiss the very high frequencies. Listen to what a super tweeter does, the leading edge to a kick etc. Not a prioriy but useful none the less.

Getting bass to work is tricky. Look at all the variations in bass design. loading, alignment, driver design, cone type etc etc. Then look at tweeters- yes there is a greater range now with the cheap production of Heils and ribbons but for a long time it was a 1" soft dome, then a 1" metal dome. (I do know about compression drivers, waveguides, cones, ring tweeters, phase plugs but I hope you get my point?)

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/for-mash-get-ash

Studio Support Gnome
Not so Miserable Git

Loc: UK *but works all over the pl...
Re: Some monitor advice please new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1035338 - 27/02/13 12:55 AM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

Quote John Willett:

On my own ported monitors, the ports are actually on the top so it goes into the room without making nasties.

And they're very handy if you've run out of flower vases...

a bit like small PMC's being dead good as door stops....

--------------------
Don't get the hump when i tell you it's going to be expensive, it's not my fault , you picked the site/building/room â

Edited by Deleted_User (27/02/13 12:55 AM)

DC-Choppah

Loc: MD, USA
      #1035347 - 27/02/13 03:00 AM
Don't forget the part of the book where he says to get a second set of monitors for the tight stuff. The ones that Michael Jackson's Thriller were mixed on.

Casp

#1035841 - 02/03/13 09:26 AM
Thank you all once again for your responses. This has been very useful to me.

Casp

Guy Johnson

Loc: North Pembrokeshire
      #1036098 - 03/03/13 11:03 PM
Oi! Ooo-er! PMCs are lovely... though I seem to remember you don't like their bass-end

I like 'flat' monitors but as said above, things are not all down to 'flatness' ... tightness of transients, off-axis sound and dispersion, power compression, distortion, imaging L/R & back/front, good bass at low levels, the need of a good amp that some passives have ... the list goes on! And the room sound/treatment the speakers will be playing into.
Try not to get fixated on any one aspect of design. For instance I tend not to like bass-reflex designs, but I've heard some cracking speakers with them, like the big ATCs. Actually ATCs are very good, so maybe have a listen to them and some PMCs, two brands that always seem to make good monitors, whenever I've heard them.

--------------------
Facebok Page for acoustic music PA-ing in smaller venues

John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

Loc: Oxfordshire UK
Re: Some monitor advice please new [Re: Guy Johnson]
      #1036134 - 04/03/13 08:53 AM
Quote Guy Johnson:

Oi! Ooo-er! PMCs are lovely... though I seem to remember you don't like their bass-end

I like 'flat' monitors but as said above, things are not all down to 'flatness' ... tightness of transients, off-axis sound and dispersion, power compression, distortion, imaging L/R & back/front, good bass at low levels, the need of a good amp that some passives have ... the list goes on! And the room sound/treatment the speakers will be playing into.
Try not to get fixated on any one aspect of design. For instance I tend not to like bass-reflex designs, but I've heard some cracking speakers with them, like the big ATCs. Actually ATCs are very good, so maybe have a listen to them and some PMCs, two brands that always seem to make good monitors, whenever I've heard them.

Both the above are in my top-5 of monitors you can trust, which are (alphabetically): ATC, Harbeth, ME Geithain, Neumann/K+H, PMC.

My main monitors are now ME Geithain, I also have Harbeth and K+H and I am well acquainted with the other two.

But I think that all these are above the budget of the OP.

--------------------
John - Sound-Link ProAudio
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Guy Johnson

Loc: North Pembrokeshire
      #1036174 - 04/03/13 11:29 AM
And I got threads muddled up!

--------------------
Facebok Page for acoustic music PA-ing in smaller venues

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2562

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media