Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Skerrick

Loc: Sydney NSW
Looking for help, need feedback on my mixing/mastering attempts..
      #1034035 - 19/02/13 02:19 AM
hi guys, this is a tough one, i need your help, i find that other forums i post on for feedback - i get comments like "great keep it up" and such, but im not finding much in the way of CONSTRUCTIVE criticism... compliments are great and all but im getting either "i dont like it" with no explanation as to why or im finding that people just say its good and then throw their song at me wanting similar comments.
im bringing this one to SOS cos i wanna know if im actually on the right track..?

http://soundcloud.com/skerrick/trap-door-forthcoming-plusquam - this is one of my best imho, its nice and chilled, but i have lots of stuff on www.soundcloud.com/skerrick if anyone wants to give me any further advice...

looking forward to hearing what you have to say

--------------------
www.soundcloud.com/skerrick

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
HKPotential

Re: Looking for help, need feedback on my mixing/mastering attempts.. new [Re: Skerrick]
      #1034040 - 19/02/13 03:58 AM
Hey Skerrick,

Decent effort. However, of course, you're mix needs so much more work.

The first thing I noticed when listening to 'trap door'(miss that little claymation btw :P), is that your kick drum is too dry and weak. It needs to be processed more and sounds like a typical, boring 808 or 909 kick drum. Try learning the art of 'processing' you're drums and effects to get more unique sounds and learn how to 'mix' these processes together. Your kick drums also need to stand out more and the bottom end of the kick sounds way to rubbery, covers too much of the low end of the mix while not being able to stand out on its own. The second kick is a little better, but I still think some nice processing and Parallel Compression would do it better.

Your grinding effects stand out way too much in the beginning and are poorly timed. It sounds as though you used those effects as more of fillers than harmonies. When adding effects to your music, it is part of the actual 'mixing' process. Usually, producers enjoy doing it last as it is used as a means to drive the song forward and encourage the lead melody to continue looping. You need to train yourself to be able to learn how to fit in effects and make it BELONG with the melodies that they are encouraging. This comes with good analysis, experimentation and interpretation of your mix.

Analysing your sound, I am assuming this is one of those trappy, bassy underground tracks that embrace a dark feeling. You have got the main idea and have a concept of the feeling, but it is incomplete. You need to analyse how to bring out that dark underground bassy feeling by observing the fundamental aspects of that genre. Oh and not to forget to mention, YOU FORGOT THE BASS :O. Alot of aspiring producers just starting out forget the bass alot for some reason(lol).

Dont give up though, you will get better and it is alot of hard work and alot of practice. My number one advice, instill in yourself 'good work ethic and high standards'. So important when it comes to producing music and life skills in general.

I like the pads you were using though, very sonic and atmospheric. Made me feel like I was going through the tunnels of trap door :P

Keep it up, you can only get better

Skerrick

Re: Looking for help, need feedback on my mixing/mastering attempts.. new [Re: HKPotential]
      #1034042 - 19/02/13 04:09 AM
yeah i made that a long time ago... in relevance to what youre saying, i made this quite recently and i think i address a lot of what youre talking about...
( http://soundcloud.com/skerrick/cyclical ) - let me know if you think the production value on this is any better..

yeah that trap door tune is a big chiller, i think i remember trying to work the bass in there but losing a lot off the bottom end of those lovely pads i found.. and yeah the off timing of those hats on the intro were placed as more of a "this intro is curious, keep listening" kinda vibe - and yeah i think this was one of my first attempts at trap, but it came out all 'trapmospheric' - currently trying to coin the genre hahah

and yeah man, ive been using those 808 kicks a lot but only recently started peaking the eq at about 100hz to 120hz whereas previously i was doing them at about 50hz or so (dont worry, im shaking my own head too hahah)
thanks for the feedback man, really glad you took the time to help me out! cheers bro! hopefully you find a few spare mins to listen to one of my newer ones.. (theyve been made about 6 months apart) and i think ive picked up a few new tips and tricks since 'trap door' but thats just my opinion...

--------------------

Edited by Skerrick (19/02/13 04:10 AM)

HKPotential

Re: Looking for help, need feedback on my mixing/mastering attempts.. new [Re: Skerrick]
      #1034043 - 19/02/13 05:08 AM
hmmm... listening as I type. The intro is ok, although it was very abrupt when that transient melody/effect came in. You are very good at working with pads I must say. And yes, the bass end is a bit better, but I still dont see any sub bass rythm. Your grinding effects have improved in this one yet they are still all over the place and at times take up too much space. You're effects are way too overwhelming and are just filling up frequencies for no purpose. Try to make them more relative rather than just thrown everywhere.

At times, there is still to much unnessecary high end and the kicks still need work. Plus, there is waaay too much repetition in this song, you need to break it down a little then bring it back up.

Please work on the overall structure of the sound as it feels as though things are just being placed here and there. You need to balance out all the frequencies within the audible human hearing range and harmonise everything or else you will lose alot of useful dynamics and musicality that human ears long for.

Take care and dont give up

Skerrick

#1034044 - 19/02/13 05:14 AM
thanks for the feedback.. its a little confusing because i spent a lot of time working on the structure of this one... and i tried not to make it too repetitive, ill take on board what you said and hopefully next time ill be able to take it up a level.

--------------------

HKPotential

#1034045 - 19/02/13 05:34 AM
It's not about how long you spend on a track, it's about knowing what you're doing and what it all means

Skerrick

Re: Looking for help, need feedback on my mixing/mastering attempts.. new [Re: HKPotential]
      #1034046 - 19/02/13 06:06 AM
... to an extent id say i know pretty well what im doing man, its like youre assuming i have zero knowledge here... personally im pretty happy with the way my sounds are heading but i can definitely see the extent of what youre getting at.
im fairly confident in most aspects of production aside from 'mastering' which is actually tuning out to be a lot more of a broad topic than one would generally assume.
either way, a tune can take me anywhere between a few hours and a few days..
eg; this took me about 45 minutes.. ( http://soundcloud.com/skerrick/sundials) still got a ways to go on it, but for only 45 mins to get to this stage using sidechaining, parallel processing and various other mixing/filtering/sampling/compression techniques it aint half bad i must say.

but thanks for the criticism, i take everything on board.

Edited by Skerrick (19/02/13 06:45 AM)

HKPotential

#1034050 - 19/02/13 07:16 AM
that's cool man. Sorry if I went in too harshly. I'm sure you have a good understanding, just sharing some ideas and thoughts and providing positive feedback.

Have a good one

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1034056 - 19/02/13 09:21 AM
Listening to Trapdoor...

I can only go on my instinct with this, but I feel like I should be able to get lost in this piece - and I don't.

The whole piece seems more like a collection of relatively raw sounds. There's not much front-to-back depth to pull me into the mix, which is important in anything meditative - we need to be able to walk into the audio landscape, with sounds crying from the mountains in the far distance to gentle rustlings close by our ears.

At the moment this mix has too much happening close to us, and some sounds that jolt us out of the audio illusion. As Peter Griffin put it, "I am very aware that I am watching a play right now".

HTH

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1156

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media