Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
tim233

Loc: London, Essex
Yamaha MoX6 & Logic Pro
      #1034681 - 22/02/13 02:00 PM
Hi anyone know the settings I need to change to get the MoX6 and Logic/Mac talking to each other?
The synth comes with Cubase but it also says you should be able use Logic and other software just using the USB/Host connection (no audio or Midi leads required) I have tried various settings in the USB and MIDI utilities on the mox6. Maybe to do with the Saffire Pro interface I am using, as the Mox6 also has its own audio interface. many thanks in advance

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
desmond

Re: Yamaha MoX6 & Logic Pro new [Re: tim233]
      #1034683 - 22/02/13 02:21 PM
If it's plugged in via USB then it will create it's own MIDI port, which you use in Logic just like any other external MIDI instrument.

Do you know how to use/setup external MIDI instruments in Logic?

tim233

Re: Yamaha MoX6 & Logic Pro new [Re: desmond]
      #1034686 - 22/02/13 02:33 PM
Hi Desmond yes I have been using a MIDI controller keyboard in Logic with the same USB connection with no problem. But with this new USB/Host port on the synth, it is supposed to transmit MIDI and Audio data together, and is not registering either in Logic/Mac. In fact, when I first connected the synth, the Mac thought it was a 'computer keyboard' I was trying to connect.

desmond

#1034690 - 22/02/13 02:53 PM
Quote tim233:

But with this new USB/Host port on the synth, it is supposed to transmit MIDI and Audio data together, and is not registering either in Logic/Mac. In fact, when I first connected the synth, the Mac thought it was a 'computer keyboard' I was trying to connect.

That means, your computer should see both a virtual MIDI device, and a virtual audio device. Open your AMS Utility - is your keyboard listed under both the MIDI and Audio tabs? If not, install it's software it came with, the keyboard may need drivers to announce itself to the computer.

tim233

#1034716 - 22/02/13 05:09 PM
I have already downloaded and installed the latest Yamaha USB driver for the MOX6. I can see this driver in the System Preferences under 'Other' but there are no Device Names against the drop-down menu, even with the MOX6 connected and powered up. Not sure what you mean by AMS?

MarkOne

Loc: Bristol, England, Earth, Perus...
      #1034725 - 22/02/13 06:13 PM
AMS=Audio MIDI Setup... in your applications/utilities folder

The other thing to watch is that the MOX will probably be installed as not only a MIDI port but also an Audio Interface (This is how my Roland works), so you can get the audio from the MOX down the USB cable but either that then becomes your interface, or you have to create an aggregate device in Audio Midi Setup to aggregate the MOX with your existing sound card/interface

--------------------
New album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!
Making of Fantasy Bridge Diary

tim233

Re: Yamaha MoX6 & Logic Pro new [Re: MarkOne]
      #1034738 - 22/02/13 07:56 PM
Thanks MarkOne & Desmond. Ok the Saffire is there in the AMS but nothing that says Yamaha etc. Does that mean the driver is not installed? As I said, the driver shows up in the System Preferences under 'Other' but with no Device Name against it and greyed out Send buttons ?

desmond

#1034756 - 22/02/13 08:33 PM
If there is no audio interface listd in the AMS for the Yamaha, then there is no way to feed audio in via USB. Try a reinstall, or connect the Yammy's analog outputs to your regular audio interface and bring the audio in that way.

Ditto with MIDI.

tim233

#1034781 - 22/02/13 11:28 PM
Thanks. Ok I downloaded & reinstalled the correct USB driver! (Yamaha/Steinberg)
Now MOX shows up in AMS ok.
Getting a MIDI signal into Logic ok, but no Audio signal from the MOX, so nearly there.

desmond

#1034802 - 23/02/13 06:58 AM
Quote tim233:

Thanks. Ok I downloaded & reinstalled the correct USB driver! (Yamaha/Steinberg)
Now MOX shows up in AMS ok.
Getting a MIDI signal into Logic ok, but no Audio signal from the MOX, so nearly there.

So, so in Logic's audio driver preferences, which devices do you have set as the input audio device, and the output audio device? If you want to use the MOX as the input audio device, to feed it's audio into Logic, you'll need to choose it as the input audio device (I'm keeping things simple for now until we can verify everything is working ok).

tim233

#1034818 - 23/02/13 10:47 AM
Thanks Desmond. I have set Logic audio input to MOX, but still no audio to Track (track input set to 1/2) Also note: Is there not a way of getting digital audio out from the MOX but keep using the Saffire? (which is Firewire not USB) as its more preferable for ins/outs etc.

tim233

#1034825 - 23/02/13 11:42 AM
Ok got the audio into Logic now by changing settings in MOX - Utility / USB I/O / Mode1

desmond

#1034826 - 23/02/13 11:50 AM
Quote tim233:

Thanks Desmond. I have set Logic audio input to MOX, but still no audio to Track (track input set to 1/2)

Ok, so in the audio drivers preferences, you have the MOX set as the audio input device, yes?
It's probably only a stereo signal anyway, so record-enabling a stereo track on inputs 1 & 2 should be hearing the MOX audio. Are they the only inputs listed?

Quote tim233:

Also note: Is there not a way of getting digital audio out from the MOX but keep using the Saffire? (which is Firewire not USB) as its more preferable for ins/outs etc.

Yes, but as I said in my last post, I was trying to keep things simple for now - one thing at a time. In short, you have to use Aggregate Devices to aggregate multiple audio interfaces into one big virtual one, then use that virtual one in Logic. This gives Logic combined access to all the I/O of all the audio devices in the aggregate device you created. You do this in the AMS Utility.

tim233

#1034828 - 23/02/13 12:00 PM
Ok see my last post, Audio signal is there now thanks. I guess the Aggregate is the next step.

tim233

#1034832 - 23/02/13 01:04 PM
Yes I have set the MOX as the Audio input device, and set the Saffire as the Audio output device (both are listed as input and Output devices)

desmond

#1034834 - 23/02/13 01:17 PM
Quote tim233:

Yes I have set the MOX as the Audio input device, and set the Saffire as the Audio output device (both are listed as input and Output devices)

Ok you'll need to set up an aggregate device as I described in the previous post.

tim233

#1035092 - 25/02/13 10:50 AM
Hi I've setup the Aggregate device in AMS, and made the MOX and Saffire sub-devices of the aggregate. The Aggregate now also appears in the Logic audio I/O preferences. Have set the ins/outs as thought logical but still no audio.

desmond

#1035107 - 25/02/13 11:35 AM
Quote tim233:

Hi I've setup the Aggregate device in AMS, and made the MOX and Saffire sub-devices of the aggregate. The Aggregate now also appears in the Logic audio I/O preferences. Have set the ins/outs as thought logical but still no audio.

Make sure you are choosing the correct inputs. If the MOX is the first audio device, then it's probably still inputs 1 & 2 of the aggregate device. If the saffire is first, then the MOX inputs will come after the saffire. So for instance, if the saffire has four inputs, the MOX will be coming up on inputs 5 & 6.

tim233

#1035451 - 27/02/13 07:19 PM
Hi I tried that but still no audio. In fact I've tried many combinations. Can you just confirm what the Logic audio I/O settings should be set to, and also the settings on the AMS. Thanks in advance

tim233

#1035462 - 27/02/13 09:51 PM
Ok I've sorted it I think! I hadnt stored the changes I previously made in the MOX utility USB (see above) so when powered down it reverted to original settings.

For info (and to help anyone else) the settings now are:

Logic Audio: both I/O = Aggregate Device
AMS setttings:
Saffire audio interface - sound output
MOX6 - sound input

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
4 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3216

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media