Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Mixedup

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Pro Tools — Fade Multiple Clips? Can't find any shortcut :(
      #1036732 - 06/03/13 03:51 PM
Hi All,

I find myself using PT today. I know enough of it to get around, but I have just separated out hundreds of drum hits from a multitrack recording via strip silence and I want to apply fade outs to each and every clip. I usually use Cubase: select all clips, drag the fade in and Bob's your uncle. In PT if I do that, it just applies a fade to the one clip on all tracks in the group. Or I can apply fade in and out to all clips. But I don't want fade in.

So... is there a single easy command for this? Or will I save my time exporting to another application?

Advice much appreciated!

M.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Phil O

Loc: Scotland
Re: Pro Tools — Fade Multiple Clips? Can't find any shortcut :( new [Re: Mixedup]
      #1036736 - 06/03/13 04:01 PM
I am not sure you can apply only fade outs to a selection clips along the timeline in PT. Highlighting / selecting the relevant clips (or use apple+shift+enter to select to the end of the session) and applying fade will apply fades in and out (or crossfades for adjacent clips) to all highlighted.

Mixedup

Re: Pro Tools — Fade Multiple Clips? Can't find any shortcut :( new [Re: Phil O]
      #1036746 - 06/03/13 04:24 PM
Thanks. I appreciate the advice. It looks like I chose the wrong DAW to do multisampled drums though. I'll get them all separated and renamed in PT (where it's easier) and then export OMF and go my more stomping ground of Cubase, I think. A single click and drag there will save me literally thousands of clicks and drags in PT by the look of it!

...unless anyone else here knows something we've missed?

Sam Inglis
SOS Features Editor

Re: Pro Tools — Fade Multiple Clips? Can't find any shortcut :( new [Re: Mixedup]
      #1036752 - 06/03/13 04:47 PM
Never tried this, but what happens if you select all the regions, turn them into a Region Group and then apply a fade out to one of the regions?

Mixedup

Re: Pro Tools — Fade Multiple Clips? Can't find any shortcut :( new [Re: Sam Inglis]
      #1036799 - 06/03/13 09:12 PM
Thanks Sam. I like the lateral thinking but no, this doesn't seem to work for me. It just groups the clips in a similar way to gluing them in Cubase, and then allows you to add a fade out to the end of the whole thing. I'm struggling to believe that this can't be done more easily in PT. I think I can batch process the lot in Wavelab, though, without needing to do the Cubase/OMF thing.

Sam Inglis
SOS Features Editor

#1036801 - 06/03/13 09:31 PM
Bum. Oh well, it was worth a try!

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1036806 - 06/03/13 09:53 PM
When I have to use PT I do like you suggest and export into Cubase, do all of my basic editing/polishing work in there, then export back to PT.

There's no need to get bogged down in OMF. Just export/import all of the audio as full-song audio files and re-export/import back the same.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Mixedup

Re: Pro Tools — Fade Multiple Clips? Can't find any shortcut :( new [Re: The Elf]
      #1036869 - 07/03/13 11:58 AM
Quote The Elf:

There's no need to get bogged down in OMF. Just export/import all of the audio as full-song audio files and re-export/import back the same.

Nah... PT is *way* better for what I'm doing, which is basically making a multi-mic multi-velocity drum library. Partly, that's because the Strip Silence feature is easier to use and more accurate without juggling controls than in Cubase — and merging all files would mean having to restrip everything in Cubase; timestamp WAVs might work, OMF would open the full session (there are no insert effects and no automation used) — and partly because the Strip Silence feature allows you to rename lots of clips quickly and easily, and can do so in a format that makes automapping in Kontakt relatively painless. You can then export all selected clips as audio files from the same screen, without ever having to root through anything so mystifying and cluttered as the Cubase audio pool. The single exception is that in PT you can't do a 'safety' fade out in case you've very slightly truncated the odd sample here and there. So current thinking is: 1. Edit and rename everything in PT (in which the sessions were tracked); 2. batch process 'safety' end fades in Wavelab; 3. Map multi-mic samples in NI Battery or Kontakt (Battery seems easier for stuff where you're not doing automapping); and then 4. finish the job with scripting, interface tweaks etc in Kontakt.

Sam Inglis
SOS Features Editor

#1036888 - 07/03/13 01:09 PM
Found this suggestion in the DUC. The idea being that if you set the fade in type to be a butt edit, it won't do anything. Worth a shot.

Mixedup

Re: Pro Tools — Fade Multiple Clips? Can't find any shortcut :( new [Re: Sam Inglis]
      #1036909 - 07/03/13 02:41 PM
Thanks again. Had actually thought of that in the meantime! Will give it a try when next at the PT machine. Stoooopid, though... to have nothing done, you have to actively select something. I mean, why do something with one click of a mouse when you can also add a bunch of keyboard shortcuts, drop down menus and the like.

DC-Choppah

Loc: MD, USA
      #1037689 - 12/03/13 04:34 AM
After you select all the regions and hit ctrl-f (for fades) the box that opens allows you to control the fade in and out. Just look at it more closely. The default will be to fade in and out as you said. But you can control these. Just set the fade in to the flat line and you will only get the fade out between the regions selected. And this will work across tracks too.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1731

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media