Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
colinmk

Spill on tom mic management
      #1039412 - 22/03/13 03:23 PM
Hi there,
I made a bad mistake in my recordings recently and recorded the rack tom with far too much spill coming through from the cymbals and pretty much everything. You live and you learn.
Of course I am now trying to mix it and although the tom sound pretty decent in the OH's I a wanting to back it up with a close mic sound.

I do have a clean sample of the tom itself so I am wondering if it is worth replacing with the sample. The problem I have is that this song in particular features 'Keith Moon' style drumming, very fast high tom/snare work, like double rolls on the tom back to snare etc and I am wondering how people who regulary replace drums approach this.

I have tried gating but the spill is just too much for a gate and the spill is so much when I pull my tom fader up to the required level in the mix it effects the OH sound.

Any help is appreciated!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Spill on tom mic management new [Re: colinmk]
      #1039415 - 22/03/13 03:55 PM
Rather than use gates, you'd be better off manually editing the tom tracks in the DAW to remove all the audio spill between the wanted hits. You can do this either by editing the actual audio to create isolated clips of tom hits, or use fader automation to do the same thing non-destructively.

You'll need to be a little bit careful about chasing down the tom decays to tail off any spill subtly, but if the bulk of the sound is coming nicely from the overheads anyway, and the close mics are just adding some presence, this should work perfectly well, and you'll lose all that nasty spill completely.

Don't forget to match the close mic panning to the stereo image position in the overheads,and check the phasing of close mics against the overheads to achieve the fullest tone.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

KuRu

Loc: uk liverpool
      #1039420 - 22/03/13 04:32 PM
ive used drumagog for this kind of thing in the past but bought toontracks drumtracker when i got superior drummer, defo worth checking out

Nathan

Loc: lincolnshire government experi...
Re: Spill on tom mic management new [Re: KuRu]
      #1039465 - 22/03/13 11:33 PM
Quote KuRu:

ive used drumagog for this kind of thing in the past but bought toontracks drumtracker when i got superior drummer, defo worth checking out

Likewise, I use TT Drumtracker for mistakes like this (we lost a floortom close-mic recently at a live gig, but you can hear and trigger it from the Ride mic).

Pity TT are not developing DT further, I'll have to explore Drumagog or Slate now...

>

--------------------
planet nine
lincoln, uk.

sambrox

Loc: Denmark
Re: Spill on tom mic management new [Re: Nathan]
      #1039475 - 23/03/13 06:16 AM
Quote Nathan:

Quote KuRu:

Likewise, I use TT Drumtracker for mistakes like this (we lost a floortom close-mic recently at a live gig, but you can hear and trigger it from the Ride mic).

Pity TT are not developing DT further, I'll have to explore Drumagog or Slate now...

Slate's Trigger is the only dedicated drum triggering software I've tried, but have never had a reason to even contemplate anything else!
Comes with great sounding samples, too (although the deluxe add-on absolutely blows them away).
If you ever need new triggering software, give it a whirl.

Cheers,
Sam

--------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sambrox
seedy.dk

chris...

#1039485 - 23/03/13 09:49 AM
Having read the OP's description of the playing style, I'm kinda skeptical triggering software will be any use whatsoever, in this case.

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1039492 - 23/03/13 10:54 AM
I agree with hugh that the best way to 'gate' a tom track is not to gate it at all, but get down to some careful editing. Once you've done this, if this doesn't get the result you want you may have a chance to place some samples, but you have to be very careful to mitigate any phase problems, and be sensitive to the dynamics of each tom hit. If the drummer was busy with the toms this can be a soul-destroying process.

Sometimes you just have to accept a recording for what it is, and then it often pays to flaunt the imperfections - accept the bleed, use it to make the drums pump and just find the excitement in the performance.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

colinmk

#1039645 - 24/03/13 02:44 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll try what Hugh suggested, I have already edited it down to the individual fills, the drumming is pretty crazy and after messing about with the samples a wee bit I don't think that is going to work well enough. Hoping I'll find a balance between bringing in the close tom mic just enough to get the attack of the hits and less of the spill messing up the sound.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 814

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media