Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
sambrox

Loc: Denmark
My new AE22s - not shielded!
      #1039451 - 22/03/13 09:30 PM
Hello folks

So I received my AE22s today and rushed out to the studio after my day job shift finished and before picking up the kids. I didn't have time to set them up properly but was dying to give them a quick blast, so put them directly on the monitor shelf, either side of my laptop (which also has one of my audio drives stood behind it). Fine for a quick 30 mins run through of some test tracks, just to get a rough feel of them against my other sets. Initially very impressed with the time domain response, but I'll save my review for another thread once they're in their permanent position.

Anyway, so now I'm home, reading the manual whilst the kids are sleeping, and in the 3rd section of the manual, 3rd paragraph, in bold type, it says, " AE22s are NOT magnetically shielded. Magnetically sensitive equipment or media should be kept at least 1m away."
Bloody hell, I'm now thinking, as not only is my laptop sat almost flush up against them, but the drive behind the computer is also in the firing range! Not only that, but the latest Time Machine back up drive is also sat in the shelf under where the laptop is sitting!!!

Of course, under normal circumstances, I'd be rushing out there and undoing my stupidity/ignorance, but unfortunately the missus is in Berlin for the weekend and I can't leave the young'uns. So, I guess my question is, am I over-reacting or can I turn up at the studio on Sunday night once the missus is back and expect all my data to be erased?!?!

Cheers,
Sam

--------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sambrox
seedy.dk

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
mpvano

Re: My new AE22s - not shielded! new [Re: sambrox]
      #1039456 - 22/03/13 09:52 PM
Loudspeakers normally don't have strong enough external fields to upset hard disk drives, but it probably doesn't hurt to keep tapes and diskettes away from them.

The warning is required because unlike older speakers, these will almost certainly distort the image on CRT displays located alongside them.

For years, small monitor speakers had to be designed to work around the problem of adjacent CRT displays being messed up (rotated images, shaded color, etc) because the electron beams that painted the screen would be deflected in undesirable ways by magnetic fields of loudspeaker drivers.

Now that most people use LCD displays, they've started phasing out the additional components from the speakers because LCD displays are completely unaffected by speakers located near them. This saves weight and costs.

(Actually the older speakers were not really magnetically shielded - they just had extra magnets incorporated to cancel out the magnetic field at the angles where a monitor might be located).

Hope this helps,

M

Edited by mpvano (22/03/13 09:55 PM)

sambrox

Re: My new AE22s - not shielded! new [Re: mpvano]
      #1039457 - 22/03/13 10:14 PM
Phew, was hoping someone would say something like that! Thanks for responding, you've saved me a couple of days' worry (although I still won't be truly at ease until I've booted everything on Sunday, of course;-)

Cheers,
Sam

--------------------
seedy.dk

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #1039460 - 22/03/13 10:31 PM
I wouldn't lose sleep over it. It's extremely unlikely you'll have any problem at all. The story field from the speakers will be nowhere ner strong enough to corrupt data o a hard drive outside the speaker cabinets.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

sambrox

Re: My new AE22s - not shielded! new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1039474 - 23/03/13 05:39 AM
Thanks, Hugh.

I love this forum!
Cheers,
Sam

--------------------
seedy.dk

chris...

#1039487 - 23/03/13 09:54 AM
As I understand it, many older speakers were "magnetically shielded", to address the problem of distorting CRTs. Nowadays, this is unnecessary, as no-one uses CRTs anymore.

However, irrespective of this, you want good backups, (some of which are) located a long way away from the original hard drive. Sounds like you may already have this.

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #1039488 - 23/03/13 10:22 AM
When I got mine it created a vey pretty dual rainbow effect on my CRT monitor! Quickly replaced with a flat panel!

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

sambrox

Re: My new AE22s - not shielded! new [Re: chris...]
      #1039550 - 23/03/13 08:04 PM
Thanks Chris. Don't think you can have too many backups!

Richie, do you have your AE22s sitting on your meter bridge as suggested by the manufacturers, or do you have stands?
Any suggestions before I spunk two hundred knicker on these?

Cheers,
Sam

--------------------
seedy.dk

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #1039568 - 24/03/13 12:56 AM
I have them on a shelf on my desk with my computer monitor in between; they are on Universal Acoustics pad. I don't have the space for stands; my room is too small and the desk is too big!

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
4 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1381

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media