Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Bitsumishi

Closed Back Headphones
      #1039491 - 23/03/13 10:46 AM
Howdy -I'm after some closed back 'all purpose' headphones for tracking and mixing for when I'm working abroad -I use my HD650s at the moment which are obviously awesome, but you cant record with them given the open-backness, and they don't go down too well with neighbouring passengers on an airplane! and I only really want to take one pair with me.

These won't be used for final mixes as I send everything back to the studio where they're finished off, but I'd like something reliable that you can get good results with.

HD280pros look good, does anyone use these? but they're a bit light at the bass end of things?

If anyone can suggest or recommend anything that would be jolly great all price brackets welcome

thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Mike Stranks

Loc: Oxford, UK
Re: Closed Back Headphones new [Re: Bitsumishi]
      #1039497 - 23/03/13 11:48 AM
I have the HD380s; brilliant for isolation and good for tracking - not sure I'd want to mix on them though...

I have some experience of the Audio-Technica ATH range; good general-purpose cans which I used as multi-purpose quite successfully.

Have you seen this?:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan10/articles/studioheadphones.htm

HTH. Mike

Edited by Mike Stranks (23/03/13 11:50 AM)

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1039503 - 23/03/13 12:48 PM
I favour the Sennheiser HD215, but they seem to be getting harder to find. As a closed back headphone they are excellent, with good isolation and the useful ability to lift one ear-cup. They don't sound too bad for mixing either - not that I'd want to rely on them for this task.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

vinyl_junkie

Loc: Kent, UK
      #1039504 - 23/03/13 12:51 PM
Always quite liked the Sennheiser HD-25's, the way I see them is like this...

Pros:
Last forever (really)
Light, compact/small (If that counts for anything but I find that a big plus point)
All Modular
Very good sound attenuation
You don't look like a mong wearing them outside of the studio or home
Decent sound with plenty of low-end

Cons:
Your head can feel like it's been in a vice a bit after a few hours, if you have a big head (no pun intended) you might find them a bit uncomfortable.

Price... They just keep getting more expensive but I guess that's inflation, they used to sell for about £100 if you looked well (DJ Shops) now last time I looked was something like £150 ish

Whilst they sound good I also found the sound a bit top end/mid-range biased

The other popular ones seem to be the Sony MDR-7506's but I've never tried those so can't say.
My HD-25's got nicked ages and I've been using a set of Technics DJ headphones (oh dear god) in their place which actually surprised me a lot as they aren't too bad (RP-DJ1200)

Edited by vinyl_junkie (23/03/13 12:54 PM)

mjfe2

Loc: Cambridge, UK
      #1039521 - 23/03/13 03:44 PM
beyerdynamic DT770

fay spook

Re: Closed Back Headphones new [Re: mjfe2]
      #1039536 - 23/03/13 06:13 PM
How about some in ear monitors? Small and compact. Easy to drive. You can use them with your iPod where you are out running......

Perhaps some of these.....
etymotic

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/for-mash-get-ash

4TrackMadman

#1039538 - 23/03/13 06:34 PM
I'd second the DT 770 PRO suggestion, although I find it a lot easier to mix on my AKG K240. I find the DT770 a bit bass heavy or misrepresentative of the bass, but with use you learn how to work it. Otherwise, they are very comfortable for long periods of us.

--------------------
www.descentintomadness.com

mjfe2

Re: Closed Back Headphones new [Re: 4TrackMadman]
      #1039540 - 23/03/13 06:57 PM
Quote 4TrackMadman:

I'd second the DT 770 PRO suggestion, although I find it a lot easier to mix on my AKG K240. I find the DT770 a bit bass heavy or misrepresentative of the bass, but with use you learn how to work it. Otherwise, they are very comfortable for long periods of us.

I haven't tried mixing on the AKG K240 yet but I did start using them recently for general listening and am finding them quite trebly! So there's proof of how subjective this whole area is. A lot of people complain that the DT770 is too bassy, but compared to my Sennheiser HD600 it sounds incredibly bass-light!

Bitsumishi

#1039647 - 24/03/13 04:43 PM
awesome thanks all -and thanks for the article mike, a comprehensive read.

Elf -I like the sound of 215s from what i've found -they apparently stopped making them, but have just started again as of last year I think, so they're available again.

I have an irrational fear of Sony, and Audio Technica for that matter -always felt safe with sennheiser -but maybe I should just go try some out...

thanks a lot

Elephone

#1039657 - 24/03/13 06:08 PM
Does nobody suffer with hot ears using closed back headphones? Also, I developed tinitus soon after purchasing some hi-end Sony ones. They're useful occasionally, but I can actually hear just as much detail through my monitors.

mjfe2

Re: Closed Back Headphones new [Re: Elephone]
      #1039673 - 24/03/13 09:20 PM
Quote Elephone:

Does nobody suffer with hot ears using closed back headphones? Also, I developed tinitus soon after purchasing some hi-end Sony ones. They're useful occasionally, but I can actually hear just as much detail through my monitors.

Yeah I never find closed-back models comfortable for long periods; they have to clamp your head a certain amount just to work! I like the DT770s because of the velour pads, whereas I'm finding the K240's leather pads get sweaty very quickly. But I never forget I'm wearing them, especially with glasses, and infinitely prefer open-backed models for comfort!

As for tinnitus I would recommend models that are less 'shouty' and make a conscious effort to monitor at low levels.

Skerrick

Loc: Sydney NSW
      #1039710 - 25/03/13 06:57 AM
buying some beyerdynamic dt880 pro's within the next month or two. heaps keen!

--------------------
www.soundcloud.com/skerrick

Mike Stranks

Loc: Oxford, UK
Re: Closed Back Headphones new [Re: mjfe2]
      #1039715 - 25/03/13 07:58 AM
Quote mjfe2:

... whereas I'm finding the K240's leather pads get sweaty very quickly...

Soon after getting my K240 IIs I swapped over to the supplied velour/'velvet' pads. Always find them very easy on the head and ears.

Elephone

#1039782 - 25/03/13 05:08 PM
I tend to use CB headphones to adjust reverb (sounds more pronounced usually), or to try to check some very subtle level changes.

Otherwise, I use my monitor speakers. I always correct bass with the monitors.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1887

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media