Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
LeeJamieHayes

Loc: Kent, England
ZED R16 v Behringer X32 v Mackie Control Pro and outboard ear
      #1040055 - 27/03/13 10:03 AM
Morning,

I am interested in the following three devices to start learning to record, mix and master but am unsure of what the best option would be.

If you could recommend me some different setups in which I could start recording my new project properly instead of using Logic's MIDI instruments that would be great!

Lee

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
OneWorld

Re: ZED R16 v Behringer X32 v Mackie Control Pro and outboard ear new [Re: LeeJamieHayes]
      #1040069 - 27/03/13 11:20 AM
Quote LeeJamieHayes:

Morning,

I am interested in the following three devices to start learning to record, mix and master but am unsure of what the best option would be.

If you could recommend me some different setups in which I could start recording my new project properly instead of using Logic's MIDI instruments that would be great!

Lee

Got to be an X32 surely, a lot of modern digital desks act as mixer/control surface/recorder. The nearest I came to that was the Yamaha 01X (ok no recorder) which hitched up to Cubase a treat, though Yamaha in their wisdom dropped it, after telling us with having MLAN was 'future proof' well it was until I bought one and the 'future' stopped right there lol

LeeJamieHayes

Re: ZED R16 v Behringer X32 v Mackie Control Pro and outboard ear new [Re: OneWorld]
      #1040084 - 27/03/13 12:00 PM
Quote OneWorld:

Quote LeeJamieHayes:

Morning,

Lee

Got to be an X32 surely, a lot of modern digital desks act as mixer/control surface/recorder. The nearest I came to that was the Yamaha 01X (ok no recorder) which hitched up to Cubase a treat, though Yamaha in their wisdom dropped it, after telling us with having MLAN was 'future proof' well it was until I bought one and the 'future' stopped right there lol

Why the X32 in your opinion?
How will that particular device aid me over the A&H and seperate preamps etc?

Cheers!

OneWorld

Re: ZED R16 v Behringer X32 v Mackie Control Pro and outboard ear new [Re: LeeJamieHayes]
      #1040191 - 27/03/13 06:59 PM
Quote LeeJamieHayes:

Quote OneWorld:

Quote LeeJamieHayes:

Morning,

Lee

Why the X32 in your opinion?
How will that particular device aid me over the A&H and seperate preamps etc?

Cheers!

Research the specs - that's your job! I was just going off what facilities each of them offers and also look at reviews and user comments for a more objective perspective. I find the reviews in SOS mag really good, though there are others. When I am buying equipment I also do a search on problems for example, the search string "behringer x32" +problems

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
      #1040197 - 27/03/13 07:20 PM
Quote LeeJamieHayes:

Morning,
devices to start learning to record, mix and master

web

--------------------
Onward and outward

The Red Bladder

Loc: . ...
      #1040208 - 27/03/13 09:41 PM
Quote:

Ohm's Law states, "You're PA isn't as powerful as you think it is".

Shouldn't that be the power law? P=VI? (Or P=UI if you are not living in Scunthorpe.)

As for the OP, Behringer - you will have it for a week, Mackie: you will have it for a year, A&H, you will have it for a life-time.

shufflebeat

Re: ZED R16 v Behringer X32 v Mackie Control Pro and outboard ear new [Re: The Red Bladder]
      #1040229 - 28/03/13 12:43 AM
Quote The Red Bladder:

Quote:

Shouldn't that be the power law? P=VI? (Or P=UI if you are not living in Scunthorpe.)

Too easily confused with P=Ct where:
P = the extent to which one needs to visit the bathroom (levels of anxiety, 1-9)
C = capacity (cc),
t = time (hrs)

P.S. Why pick on Scunthorpe? A fine town with the Prime Minister at it's centre.

--------------------
Onward and outward

DGL.

Loc: Portland, Dorset
Re: ZED R16 v Behringer X32 v Mackie Control Pro and outboard ear new [Re: The Red Bladder]
      #1040244 - 28/03/13 06:32 AM
Quote The Red Bladder:

As for the OP, Behringer - you will have it for a week, Mackie: you will have it for a year, A&H, you will have it for a life-time.

As they have been saying over on soundforums, This ain't your fathers behringer. And don't forget the midas PRO series is made in the same factory by the same people and so far the few people that have had problems (out of over 30,000 X32's sold!) have had them fixed quickly and efficiently.

LeeJamieHayes

Re: ZED R16 v Behringer X32 v Mackie Control Pro and outboard ear new [Re: shufflebeat]
      #1040271 - 28/03/13 09:35 AM
Quote shufflebeat:

Quote LeeJamieHayes:

Morning,
devices to start learning to record, mix and master

web

Funnily enough my first device was a boss BR-800. I never got on with it as the interface was too cluttered.

I prefer working on a Mac for audio editing.

LeeJamieHayes

#1040272 - 28/03/13 09:40 AM
I've had a real think and I'm still unsure of what route to go. I dont really need a mixer at the moment as I'm sure I could cope without. I think i'm going to focus on upgrading my interface first as I only use a Line 6 UX2 at the moment.

I'm looking at the apogee stuff as I'm a fan of their gear since using it in the studio. I also heard good things about RME and Focusrite. What interfaces do you reccomend and how will a interface tie in with a mixer later on?

I am pretty set on an SM57 and a Sontronics Saturn as my first two mics which I'll use to start experimenting with mic position and editing.

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1040276 - 28/03/13 10:02 AM
You are probably right to abandon the mixer idea for now as I've seen a few beginners put of from recording for life after buying a package deal including a complicated mixer.

I'd suggest that you look at RME for interfaces. I use ADAT as my standard way of getting signals in and out of my interface as there are a variety of devices that will convert from analogue to ADAT (and back again) from the Behringer ADA8000 at the bottom end right up to Audient and others at the high end.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

sambrox

Loc: Denmark
      #1040298 - 28/03/13 11:55 AM
Quote The Red Bladder:

Quote:

Shouldn't that be the power law?

Sorry to be pedantic chaps, but I'm pretty sure Ohm's Law says, "Your PA"....

Also, what's an outboard ear?

Cheers,
Sam

--------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sambrox
seedy.dk

shufflebeat

Re: ZED R16 v Behringer X32 v Mackie Control Pro and outboard ear new [Re: sambrox]
      #1040301 - 28/03/13 12:26 PM
Quote sambrox:

Quote The Red Bladder:

Quote:

Shouldn't that be the power law?

Sorry to be pedantic chaps, but I'm pretty sure Ohm's Law says, "Your PA"....

Also, what's an outboard ear?

Cheers,
Sam

Much obliged, Sam. I don't consider that pedantic, by the way. That's just correct.

I believe an outboard ear is a second opinion on your mix.

--------------------
Onward and outward

sambrox

Loc: Denmark
Re: ZED R16 v Behringer X32 v Mackie Control Pro and outboard ear new [Re: shufflebeat]
      #1040306 - 28/03/13 12:47 PM
Quote shufflebeat:

I believe an outboard ear is a second opinion on your mix.

Hahaha, that makes sense

Cheers,
Sam

--------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sambrox
seedy.dk

Joe Sanborn

Loc: California
      #1040457 - 29/03/13 06:31 PM
Quote LeeJamieHayes:

Morning,

Lee

Hi Lee,
This is Joe Sanborn with the Music Group. Please let me know if I can answer any questions in regards to the X32.

The X32 is an ideal choice for you recording application.
- 32 Midas designed mic preamps
- 32x32 FIrewire and USB interface
- Control Surface functions including HUI and MIDI CC commands on the Assign Section
- Full recall including mic preamp and fader positions
- Full channel strip, EQ, dynamics
- EQ and compression on all Buses including Main Mix
Full details at:
http://www.behringer.com/EN/products/X32.aspx
There is a Video tab on this page as well.

You may also want to take a look at the BEHRINGER forums page:
http://forum.behringer.com/
There is an entire X32 section.

I hope this helps and best of luck with your project!

Kind Regards,
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Channel Marketing
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

shufflebeat

#1040859 - 02/04/13 07:32 AM
Apologies for my somewhat flippant previous suggestion, I was in too much of a hurry.

Your initial plan to buy gear as a first step did start a few red lights flashing. If you haven't read this first you might be tempted to spend unwisely (by helpful sales execs).

Mike Senior - Shifty Fades at Play

--------------------
Onward and outward

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3373

January 2015
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for January 2015
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media