Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Mash

Kawai VPC1 - finally a good 88 note midi controller?
      #1040194 - 27/03/13 07:08 PM
I've been on the lookout for an 88 note midi controller to replace my increasingly flaky and generally not brilliant CME-UF8. The other contenders have been the Doepfer LMK2+ and the Studiologic Numa Nero - both of which I have had reservations with.

Has anyone had a go on the VPC1 yet? Looks very promising and tempted to order it 'blind' as no UK distributors that I'm aware of...

Many thanks!

Mash

--------------------
www.matthewcracknell.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
feline1

Loc: Brighton, UK
Re: Kawai VPC1 - finally a good 88 note midi controller? new [Re: Mash]
      #1040295 - 28/03/13 11:10 AM
it does look like a quality product - I respect the design decision to "do one thing really well" - so it is focussed on being a piano controller, and so has no aftertouch, no wheels, no nothing appart from 88 wooden piano keys.
At 29kg it's not going to be easy to gig with though!

--------------------
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Mac.Dyson

#1040395 - 29/03/13 05:44 AM
Quote Mash:

I've been on the lookout for an 88 note midi controller

Haven't had a chance to play this yet, but all the Kawai wooden-weighted piano keyboards from MP9000 on have been rather lovely. Also haven't ever found better than my Kawai K5000 for a superb responsive synth action. Mac

Tomás Mulcahy

Loc: Cork, Ireland.
      #1040424 - 29/03/13 01:38 PM
Haven't had the pleasure of the Kawai, no dealers locally. Clever of them to include profiles for all of the common piano plugins. The best concert grand piano I ever played was a Kawai. Better than a Steinway for action, which IMO is more important than tone- not much point in having slightly better tone if it's not controllable.

The Roland PHAIII Ivory feel action is lovely, just a gnats better than the Korg RH3. Is the Kawai better again?

I agree about the Doepfer, I'd have reservations about that one too. My guess would be that it is actually a Fatar action? Or is it CME that makes those boards anyway?

I'm fond of my slightly elderly Akai MX-1000 though.

--------------------
madtheory creations
Synths and pianos for Kontakt

DGL.

Re: Kawai VPC1 - finally a good 88 note midi controller? new [Re: Tomás Mulcahy]
      #1040481 - 29/03/13 10:29 PM
Quote Tomás Mulcahy:

Haven't had the pleasure of the Kawai, no dealers locally. Clever of them to include profiles for all of the common piano plugins. The best concert grand piano I ever played was a Kawai. Better than a Steinway for action, which IMO is more important than tone- not much point in having slightly better tone if it's not controllable.

The Roland PHAIII Ivory feel action is lovely, just a gnats better than the Korg RH3. Is the Kawai better again?

I agree about the Doepfer, I'd have reservations about that one too. My guess would be that it is actually a Fatar action? Or is it CME that makes those boards anyway?

The Doepfers all use a Fatar Keybed, their website should tell you what one.

hollowsun

Loc: Cowbridge, South Wales
Re: Kawai VPC1 - finally a good 88 note midi controller? new [Re: Tomás Mulcahy]
      #1040497 - 30/03/13 05:05 AM
The lack of pitch bend and mod wheel puts me off the VPC1. A silly omission.

Quote Tomás Mulcahy:

Damned good keyboard that

--------------------
Website / Music Lab Machines / Blog

Persian Bit

Loc: Tehran \ IRAN
      #1040544 - 30/03/13 02:32 PM
Wonderful controller, though a bit heavy weight [I guess it needs some decent and strong stand, so the total weight would goes even higher]. with it's basic layout [no after touch, wheels,etc.] it seems completely aimed for professional piano players, so not much a 'controller' since it barely controls anything other than the keys.

Being a controller, you would need a laptop or a sampler for the sound source. at this price and weight and everything, persoanlly i would buy a digital piano with same action and size [88 keys] which would work on stage with no need for any computers or samplers, and then would use it as MIDI controller in studio.

If it's got a certain action and feel that you love, it's another story and you would take the pain and suffocation of handling this heavy beast for every gig... :-)

ajhunt

Re: Kawai VPC1 - finally a good 88 note midi controller? new [Re: Persian Bit]
      #1041053 - 03/04/13 12:52 PM
Mash - I found myself in a similar position to you, with Kawai Europe giving no indications of whether they would distribute the VPC1 to the UK or not.

In the end, my GAS got the better of me and I ordered one 'blind' from Germany a couple of weeks ago, and so far I've been very happy.

I wasn't expecting a perfect simulation of a piano action at this price point, but it comes admirably close. I'd say it's on the medium-to-heavy side, but not so much at the beginning of the keystroke - more towards the bottom, because the hammer doesn't disengage from the key during its travel as it would in a real piano action.

The third sensor is definitely something I wouldn't want to be without now I've tried it, and the let-off simulation is very realistic. The feel of the key surfaces is inviting, provided you don't mind a certain 'vintage' feel from the black keys' finish being rougher than the white keys'.

The size and weight is no problem for me since I don't plan to gig with this keyboard, but YMMV!

Occasional crashes when playing very dense, pedal-heavy material are only a minor nuisance for me, but obviously a potential killer for gigging. Hope this will be fixed in a future firmware release.

Overall, then, a pleasure to play and certainly responsive enough for rapid/advanced repertoire as well as satisfyingly meaty for chordal/pop stuff. Combined with Galaxy Vintage D, it really is an instrument that I look forward to playing, and I'm very fussy when it comes to pianos!

Finally, I've just seen that UK stockists are finally appearing, with availability from late April, so maybe check if somewhere like Rose Morris will have one on demo!

Hope this helps.

Alex

Mash

Re: Kawai VPC1 - finally a good 88 note midi controller? new [Re: ajhunt]
      #1041068 - 03/04/13 01:41 PM
Thanks for the great response everyone.

Fortunately this would never leave the studio so weight not so much of an issue. Lack of pitch/mod wheels not ideal - but as others, really respect the choice for the VPC1 to place it's focus on the key action. Lack of faders/rotaries/faff to make way for dedicated controllers a huge plus point.

Maybe have one of these to control mod wheel switching for VI/VSL banks etc?

ajhunt, great to hear your experiences. I'm regularly hoping between studios around Soho so the Rose Morris shout is a fantastic one!

Mash

--------------------
www.matthewcracknell.com

Kawai James

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
      #1041329 - 04/04/13 02:11 PM
Hello Alex,

Quote ajhunt:

Occasional crashes when playing very dense, pedal-heavy material are only a minor nuisance for me, but obviously a potential killer for gigging. Hope this will be fixed in a future firmware release.

I'm sorry to hear that - that obviously shouldn't happen.

May I ask if you would be willing to send me a private message explaining the issue in a little more detail, please?

Cheers,
James
x

ajhunt

Re: Kawai VPC1 - finally a good 88 note midi controller? new [Re: Kawai James]
      #1042903 - 11/04/13 05:17 PM
Quick update re the crashing thing - my current theory is it may be to do with an (albeit powered) USB extension cable. Regular MIDI cable works fine. I've PMd this idea to Kawai James and will post if any relevant news emerges.
Alex

Kawai James

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
      #1042935 - 11/04/13 09:50 PM
Thank you Alex,

After logging-in, I've just seen your messages, and will be in touch shortly.

Cheers,
James
x

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 6931

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media