Main Forums >> Production - Mixing, Mastering, Gear & Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
triorg

Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 or M-Audio ProFire 2626 ? plz help
      #1040811 - 01/04/13 08:51 PM
hi, im having a debate with my self so i have come to the sos family for guidance

im looking to buy a new firewire and im struggling to make the leap, i have 2 in mind which are both about the same price £400,Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 or M-Audio ProFire 2626,,,,

i have read the reviews in sos and im 50/50 so please could you give me some wise words and help me choose,,
i currently have the focusrite pro 20 (5yrs old now) , windows 7 pro, cubase 7 artist,and record mainly heavy metal/thrash,,,,

many thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Sam Inglis
SOS Features Editor

Re: Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 or M-Audio ProFire 2626 ? plz help new [Re: triorg]
      #1040815 - 01/04/13 09:22 PM
I have both, and there is fairly little to choose between them in terms of features. M-Audio's control panel/mixer utility is simpler, but Focusrite's is more powerful. The M-Audio has an extra bank of ADAT I/O, the Saffire has a couple of other bells and whistles the ProFire doesn't. The ProFire refused to talk to my crappy Dell laptop, the Saffire has got on well with all my PCs. Other than that, I think I could happily have used either on any given session and got pretty much the same results.

However, there seem to be a few question marks around at the moment about M-Audio's ongoing support for the ProFire 2626 -- apparently there are still unresolved problems with the Mountain Lion drivers, not that that will affect you -- so if you take that route, you might want to chase them up and check what their plans are.

triorg

Re: Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 or M-Audio ProFire 2626 ? plz help new [Re: Sam Inglis]
      #1040946 - 02/04/13 07:06 PM
thanks sam, you made some good points there, i think you have convinced me to lean towards the saffire as i use a pc and use a laptop. and i haven't had any problems with my old saffire 20,,,

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
Re: Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 or M-Audio ProFire 2626 ? plz help new [Re: triorg]
      #1041250 - 04/04/13 10:26 AM
As far as I know... (I could be wrong)

Profire2626 = Bridgeco chipset
Saffire Pro 40 = Wavefront DiceII chipset

Both are slightly 'iffy' and fussy about what they connect to but, if you can't afford RME, then I'd probably go for a DiceII based unit over a Bridgeco unit.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Goddard

Re: Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 or M-Audio ProFire 2626 ? plz help new [Re: James Perrett]
      #1041306 - 04/04/13 01:19 PM
Quote James Perrett:

As far as I know... (I could be wrong)

Profire2626 = Bridgeco chipset
Saffire Pro 40 = Wavefront DiceII chipset

Both are slightly 'iffy' and fussy about what they connect to but, if you can't afford RME, then I'd probably go for a DiceII based unit over a Bridgeco unit.

James.

The Dice chips are from TC Applied Tech, not Wavefront (formerly Alesis, who make ADAT Tx/Rx chips).

Latest Saffire Dice drivers (v4.0) are much improved latency-wise.

Dunno about the chip used in the Profire 2626, but afaik Bridgeco (whose chips were apparently used in older Profire models) are now affiliated with Archwave (whose chips are used in some newer "hybrid" FW + USB interfaces).

According to Vin/TAFKAT at DAWbench, M-Audio were developing their own drivers rather than merely repackaging their chip vendor's supplied drivers, although dunno if that applied to the Profire 2626 or still even holds true.

If the product description refers to "JetPLL" then it's a Dice-based interface.

Pete Kaine
Scan Computers

Loc: Manchester
Re: Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 or M-Audio ProFire 2626 ? plz help new [Re: Goddard]
      #1041317 - 04/04/13 01:51 PM
Quote Goddard:

According to Vin/TAFKAT at DAWbench, M-Audio were developing their own drivers rather than merely repackaging their chip vendor's supplied drivers, although dunno if that applied to the Profire 2626 or still even holds true.

It did althrough I'm not sure what the current state of play is.

--------------------
ScanProAudio & 3XS Audio Systems
ScanProAudio Blog

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
5 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor 
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2885

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media